Axe-Fx III Firmware 22.00 Public Beta (Beta 6)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's basically it, but knowing what is happening when the microphone moves is the key.

The cone is the brightest-sounding part of the speaker, so when the microphone is directly in front of it there are more highs. Move toward the edge and you lose the brightness as you progress.

Cardioid microphones have more bass when they're next to the sound source; It's the proximity effect. You've probably noticed it if you sing into a SM57 because as you move close your voice has more bass. Moving the microphone away from the speaker also increases the ratio of the room's ambient reflections to the speaker's sound.

Combine both movements and you can adjust the brightness and the floor reflections for a more open sound.

The type of microphone also affects the sound. Condensers are crisp, dynamic (like the SM57 in the Dyna-Cab) are a standard and are somewhere in the middle, and ribbon, like the Royer 121 which I think is the "Ribbon" choice, are warmer. Mix them onto the same speaker and adjust their sounds so you like what you hear.

Read articles about shooting IRs or micing guitar speakers and you'll get a lot more detail.
I think you mean the "Dust Cap" (the center of the voice coil) is the brightest part of the speaker. As you move away from the dust cap toward the outer edge (the "surround") the speaker gets darker.

Hollow is exactly what I was experiencing......yes, I would re-do the whole ball of wax!
Then reduce your system to the bare minimum. Disconnect your monitoring system or power it off, plug in good headphones, and build a small sample preset using a single Dyna-Cab in slot 1 in the Cab block. See if that sounds hollow. Move the mic around and see how it affects the sound and continue listening for "hollowness". Turn on your monitoring system or reconnect it, and see what happens to the sound. You'll know where the problem is at that point, and the "ball of wax" might turn out to be somewhere different than you think right now.

In my experience, the Dyna-Cabs are as good sounding as any of my other 3rd party IRs, of which I have thousands from the big names. Will I immediately convert my presets? No, because they'll continue sounding good, and I need my presets to be able to transfer to the FM* units, but once we know where that technology is going on the smaller units I'll figure out how I want to proceed. For now though, I'm really enjoying the sound I got out of a test preset I made when Cliff first revealed the new cabs to us.

I have an FX3 MKII and FX3 MKII Turbo and use Paul Reed Smith cu22 guitars and Fender strats and teles. I've not experienced and clipping issues, using the new cabs and am set around 55%. All my guitars have stock passive pickups. So the issue is tied to either pre-amps in front of the AXE FX or hot active pickups. I saw someone mentioned a possible bug. But I don't see it here.
I am plugged with a mogami cable straight into the front. I have a Nash T57 and a PRS Silver Sky, McCarty 594, and Fiore. All of these clip out if I turn it above 9. I think the highest ouput is the 594 bridge with measures 7.9 ohms.

There are currently 25 Dyna-Cabs. We expect about a dozen more for the final release including some bass cabs.
Feel free to take the stock IR away and leave a smaller custom IR bank for users on Axe units with less storage. The new cabs are great and I see my usage of the old factory IRs going to zero as soon as I get around to editing my old presets.

Big ups for including the waveform coming from the speaker on the graphic in the UI. That will help a ton with positioning.

Feel free to take the stock IR away and leave a smaller custom IR bank for users on Axe units with less storage. The new cabs are great and I see my usage of the old factory IRs going to zero as soon as I get around to editing my old presets.
From what I understand, there's enough room to fit them in without messing with the Legacy IRs. Taking away the Legacy IRs would break factory presets and user's presets who've used the existing choices. That'd be "bad".

We all need to keep in mind that this is a BETA release. There is bound to be a little issue here or there. All in all, the dyna-cabs have been ground breaking for me. I do have to go through each amp and cab block to check all settings. I noticed some presets that didn't have the auto impedance in the amp block on, and some IR alignment changes from past twiddlings. After a bit of tweaking they are always a huge leap in goodness. Thanks to Cliff and everyone who worked on these!

Hi all. I had the day off of work today to await delivery of an ESP E-ii Eclipse with EMGs in. It was delivered about 5pm here. I installed the beta this morning and have enjoyed playing with it much of the day with my 90's LP Studio with stock pickups (was originally planning to spring clean the garage which didn't happen due to the firmware dropping on us :)). No matter what I did I could not get the clip warning to appear. That was on an 80% sensitivity level. Plugging in and playing the ESP with the active pickups I could play relatively normally but to not get the warning when REALLY digging in I have had to lower it to 12%.

Then reduce your system to the bare minimum. Disconnect your monitoring system or power it off, plug in good headphones, and build a small sample preset using a single Dyna-Cab in slot 1 in the Cab block. See if that sounds hollow. Move the mic around and see how it affects the sound and continue listening for "hollowness". Turn on your monitoring system or reconnect it, and see what happens to the sound. You'll know where the problem is at that point, and the "ball of wax" might turn out to be somewhere different than you think right now.

In my experience, the Dyna-Cabs are as good sounding as any of my other 3rd party IRs, of which I have thousands from the big names. Will I immediately convert my presets? No, because they'll continue sounding good, and I need my presets to be able to transfer to the FM* units, but once we know where that technology is going on the smaller units I'll figure out how I want to proceed. For now though, I'm really enjoying the sound I got out of a test preset I made when Cliff first revealed the new cabs to us.
LMAO.....I guess you haven't read the whole thread and missed my post earlier today that chronicled re-installing everything, and how that fixed it.

No one ever said there was anything wrong with Dyna-Cabs, so you can stand at ease.........laugh.gif

I don’t know if it’s something I’m doing, or that it speaks to the quality of York audio IRs, but I found I wasn’t getting any better tones with the dyna cabs. It was MUCH easier to get the tone I was after and I could get the same tone as my much loved York IRs, but it’s not making me want to rush and change my presets.
Not knocking them at all, as it’s great to be able to visualise the mic position and get the type of tone you’re after straight away. No fuss.
Like I say, I think it just speaks to the quality of the YA IRs. Win win!

Listening to @2112 video today, I too felt like they sounded "hollow"...but its hard to tell by that. Waiting to try it on my FM9 when the day comes!

I've only messed around a bit with clean tones, mixing ribbon (or condenser) with dynamic (same or different cabs), but the tones I'm getting are gorgeous. Kudos to Cliff and the team, the Dyna-Cabs are outstanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom