Axe-Fx III Firmware 22.00 Public Beta #5 (Beta 11)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed significantly longer gap in sound when scenes are switched, wen CAB && AMP channels are switched together (against previous regular (not beta) version). It's noticeable Legacy and also Dyna-cab mode.
I tested this beta first time now.

I noticed significantly longer gap in sound when scenes are switched, wen CAB && AMP channels are switched together (against previous regular (not beta) version). It's noticeable Legacy and also Dyna-cab mode.
I tested this beta first time now.
Post sound clips of before and after?

This place is hilarious at times. Amazing new cabs added that should surely allow anyone to coax any guitar sound ever recorded, and people pop up asking if very specific CONES are in the modelled speakers.

The new cabs sound amazing.
Soon, Cliff will have it so accurate that we will be able to hear the difference in the wire used on the speaker cone to the jack

Here are sound clips and also preset.

Thanks. Not sure I hear a big difference.

Do you have ability in your DAW or recorder software to zoom in on the waveform gap with the same time scale? Then we could see if there is a visible difference.

Depends on the amp. A Chieftain has two speakers of the same type.
Chieftain also came with the same mismatched speakers as the DC30 at one point. I have a vintage set (early 2000's) from the Chieftain of a local touring player. G12H and Greenback

It seems the Chieftain also (probably, based on speaker codes) came with a V30 and an Anniversary (prior to Phil's ownership) and both speakers carried the same 30w label.

None of this, of course, lends itself to consistency, but I still contend, the mismatched speakers (G12H, G12M) is a big part of the DC30 sound. Looks like I'll be sticking with IR's of the mismatched cabs.

This 2000's Chieftain on Reverb has the mismatched speakers (the "M" stands for Matchless, not the speaker type). The one on the left is the G12H30 and the one on the right is the Greenback 25, :
Matchless Chieftain
kkg3th89zg5pz1vk8whb.jpg

Maybe I don’t understand, but I don’t follow the logic of mismatched speakers in a ir-capture like this. The virtual mic is in front of ONE speaker and we are moving it around relative to that. Further away you might get aspects of the other speaker(s) within the sound but predominantly the speaker that was the focus of the capture IS the sound?

Maybe I don’t understand, but I don’t follow the logic of mismatched speakers in a ir-capture like this. The virtual mic is in front of ONE speaker and we are moving it around relative to that. Further away you might get aspects of the other speaker(s) within the sound but predominantly the speaker that was the focus of the capture IS the sound?
Even in a close mic'd situation, the other speakers affect the sound of the speaker you're micing. Often quite a lot too.

Thinking of it
after the final firmware, if one day they decide to add a new cab, it will mess the order of the dynacab everytime ?

Measured: 53ms pre-22, 80ms 22b. Neither bother me.
I analysed it little bit deeper. It looks so, that when is changed channel only in one block, gap is shorter, than when there are more blocks, where channel is changed.
e.g.
  • CAB alone - 30 ms
  • AMP alone - 19 ms
  • CAB & AMP together - 58 ms
  • CAB & AMP & DRIVE - 88 ms
Can live with it, just information, it's changed against previous regular release (21.04).

I analysed it little bit deeper. It looks so, that when is changed channel only in one block, gap is shorter, than when there are more blocks, where channel is changed.
e.g.
  • CAB alone - 30 ms
  • AMP alone - 19 ms
  • CAB & AMP together - 58 ms
  • CAB & AMP & DRIVE - 88 ms
Can live with it, just information, it's changed against previous regular release (21.04).
I really love my Axe FX 3, I almost never use my tube amps anymore. But these numbers illustrate the only big issue I have with the Axe FX 3. The audio gaps in some cases (!) are just ridiculously long.
Not a single amp (commercial and DIY) I have used in 25 years had noticeable gaps when switching channels (I know that some people claim their amps have gaps. That's due to bad design. Well designed relay switching does not need mute circuits and switches channels in a few milliseconds). Even my more than 20 year old Yamaha DG stomp has no gaps (a lot simpler modelling but also a lot less powerful hardware).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom