Axe-Fx III Firmware 22.00 Public Beta #2 (Beta 7)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since it seems 3rd parties in the future can make and sell their own dyna-cab file with their own speakers and mic combo….

Hopefully a lot more of those 3rd party manufacturers will actually consider investing in some really high end converters to make the IRs for Dyna-cab level because aside from some factory IRs, the only 3rd party ultra res IRs I could find acceptable at the end of the day were Ownhammers. As for the other 3rd party ones, there's nothing ultra about their res. 😆

100%. Could not agree more.

SM57’s blow. They are nasally and have horrible low end reproduction. People use them because that’s what they had “back in the day”.
Very shrill and overrated mic. But real whizzes in the studio can make them sound incredible with blending other mics and other production techniques. But how anyone thinks it's a good mic to use for live is bewildering, because used as one single mic they tend to sound really harsh dynamically lacking in headroom, and basically cheap sounding through the mediocre live channel strips they are being fed to.

I'm late to the party...but WHAT!!??

sm57 blows? Well so do guitar speakers then.

Some guitar speakers. Try a non-UK made v30 or 75 also non-UK made and a 57. And then come back to me with what insurance says about the bill to try to repair that Tinnitus.

I'm late to the party...but WHAT!!??

sm57 blows? Well so do guitar speakers then.

Get a grip.
Wait a second, I feel like I'm talking to Kirk Hammett. That's a very familiar dialect.
I hear some funny back and forth on the internet about that good ol' Lux Aeterna solo.
Ready to get off pentatonics yet? If you want I can help reccomend some new influences. Maybe listen to a bit of Chuck Schulinder on Death's symbolic.
I got a lot of faith in you. I was a big fan back in the day. That solo on Blackened was your best one ever!

All moot anyway, who in their right mind is micing up a real cab now. All Fractal on my last 4 records with blended OH IRs...

Some guitar speakers. Try a non-UK made v30 or 75 also non-UK made and a 57. And then come back to me with what insurance says about the bill to try to repair that Tinnitus.
Depends on a lot of other tonal factors, what type of guitar tone, and what type of cabinet etc. I've used Chinese made V30's for years, they sound amazing, and I shot some killer IR's with an SM57 in front of them. They cut through nicely, but in a midrangey musical way. I did have some older UK made V30's too, but I sold them as they sounded too dark/wooly.
For my own needs I've not yet been able to better those IR's with Dyna-Cab, but there's plenty more experimentation to be done. :)

Hopefully a lot more of those 3rd party manufacturers will actually consider investing in some really high end converters to make the IRs for Dyna-cab level because aside from some factory IRs, the only 3rd party ultra res IRs I could find acceptable at the end of the day were Ownhammers. As for the other 3rd party ones, there's nothing ultra about their res. 😆
Did you try mine?

Don't mean to call you or him out, but have you tried any irs from York Audio? Lots of people find them very usable.

Dr Bonkers stuff is more idiosyncratic, but organic and interesting.

In terms of vocals, very different mics can be best for specific vocalists and that can change dependent on specific conditions. That's why I wouldn't claim, for example, the Shure SM 58 is a horrible excuse for a vocal mic despite it being a horrible choice for my voice.

In terms of vocals, very different mics can be best for specific vocalists and that can change dependent on specific conditions. That's why I wouldn't claim, for example, the Shure SM 58 is a horrible excuse for a vocal mic despite it being a horrible choice for my voice.
To some degree yes. But when I hear that argument makes me realize when I had a vocalist who had a voice so amazing that it didn't matter what the mic he was given. On the other hand, it doesn't matter what mic you give to someone who sounds like Drake, that sheeplike voice will still sound annoying AF. Wouldn't matter if he had a 20,000 dollar mic on him. A crappy 57 on beautiful voices would still sound better.

The one thing we can all agree on is that we don't agree on anything ;)

I think the FAS Forum community is also a skewed sample. If we're willing to pay extra for the best (IMO) guitar modeler, we're also more picky with our gear and willing to spend the extra money for a better mic.

I have no interest in buying an SM57 or SM58 for my own personal collection, but it totally makes sense that the local venues I run sound at to have a bunch of them. They're cheaper and every live sound tech will be familiar with them. I'll grab the beta 58 for vocals any day over the SM58, but that's not always available at the venues I work. I think the SM57 can sound good on a cab in a smaller venue because the thinness cuts through the room noise, but anyone who knows how to EQ a channel can get the same effect with a better mic.

I've also learned to appreciate a real SM58 since I've worked venues that had knockoff SM58's... bleh. For the same money, I prefer SE V7's, but I'm sure someone here can point out a hundred things that makes it "bad." But a good artist can make art with any paintbrush that fits comfortably in their hand.

I haven't had time to test the sm7b Dyna-cab yet, but I'm intrigued. It's a hard choice for Fractal to decide what's the default, standard mic to use. Use the "standard" mic that "everyone" has used (mainly because it's cheap and widely available), or use a "better" mic because they can. Of course, people will always complain with whatever you pick.

I think the FAS Forum community is also a skewed sample. If we're willing to pay extra for the best (IMO) guitar modeler, we're also more picky with our gear and willing to spend the extra money for a better mic.

(…]

I haven't had time to test the sm7b Dyna-cab yet, but I'm intrigued. It's a hard choice for Fractal to decide what's the default, standard mic to use. Use the "standard" mic that "everyone" has used (mainly because it's cheap and widely available), or use a "better" mic because they can. Of course, people will always complain with whatever you pick.
That’s how I feel also.

I have had a chance to use the ‘7 and it sounds great on these cabs, and the ’57, even with adjustments, doesn’t compare, it’s just harsh. I can get a decent sound by mixing the ‘57 with the ribbon but I have to move the dynamic way across the cone and reduce its level, whereas with the ’7 it’s spot on mixed with the ribbon on the cone.

I’ll actually be sad to not have the ’7 and would immediately buy a pack that supplied one that sounded as good as the factory version of ribbon and SM7.

Help me @York Audio! You’re my only hope! :)

Last edited:
The thing is that different people want to use or work with different things.
This is great because otherwise we would all play the same amp and the same guitar etc.
A microphone that does work for me, maybe doesn’t work for someone else because different Workflows or preferences.
Eddie Van Halen used two SM57 to mic his cab.
I could never ever get a good sound with only two SM57.
Maybe for some reason:
1. I‘m to dumb (I‘m shure that’s it)
2. There was a lot of post processing going on!
3. Insert hundreds of other reasons here

at the same time, i don't really like that some of you are expecting third party irs, while Cliff is doing the dynacabs in a pro studio, probably working hard for it, for free 🤷. We don't even have the final version, you expect from third parties yet.
Oh ‍🧎‍♂️
fanboys aren't like they used to be
Bow to your knees, let me whip your ass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom