Axe-Fx II Technical Questions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not following you.

I think he's asking if you could just plug a MIDI controller into the Axe-FX via the USB port on the back and use it to control the Axe-FX.

I'm pretty sure the answer would be no. This means the Axe-FX would have to operate as a "USB host" which is totally different than as a "USB device" (such as when the USB is connected to your computer). It's not just a simple software thing either as there are hardware differences between products that are capable of being hosts+devices compared to products that are just devices.

I am talking about USB midi controllers that connects via USB instead of midi. Something like this:
Overview
They usually get power via USB when they are connected to a computer, so i was asking will AXE II be able to power these controllers.

The drivers for those devices can't be loaded into the Axe-fx so it wouldn't work anyway,

You wouldn't need the drivers for the devices loaded as long as they are class compliant with the standard MIDI or Audio protocol for USB. Whether or not there's a client/server type of relationship to the USB protocol that would preclude other peripheral types of devices from being plugged into the Axe II is probably the critical question over whether that will work or not.

The Axe-Fx II is a USB peripheral device. You can't plug other USB peripherals into a peripheral device, only into a host (i.e. computer).

Thanks for clearing that.

But you can still use Rj45 and midi in simultaneosly? Say MFC connected to Rj45 and another controller to Midi In ?

it has been asked if the looper in the axe fx 2 can store loops. it has not been answered. i expanded on this idea by suggesting if the axe fx would be able to store audio samples which can be triggered via midi. this would be an amazing feature and i think it deserves a response.

if it is not currently capable of storing loops/samples (which i suspect is the case) does the hardware have the capability to permit this feature to be added in the future?

I am talking about USB midi controllers that connects via USB instead of midi. Something like this:
Overview
They usually get power via USB when they are connected to a computer, so i was asking will AXE II be able to power these controllers.

You can still connect it through normal MIDI (using the MIDI expander), is a cool controller and, apparently, is "beer proof":D

it has been asked if the looper in the axe fx 2 can store loops. it has not been answered. i expanded on this idea by suggesting if the axe fx would be able to store audio samples which can be triggered via midi. this would be an amazing feature and i think it deserves a response.

if it is not currently capable of storing loops/samples (which i suspect is the case) does the hardware have the capability to permit this feature to be added in the future?

I believe it has been answered. No. The looper is the same as in the Ultra only with a longer loop time. Cliff would have to answer the second part. He might not though because he has plainly stated he will not discuss future products.

Well your not going to be able to operate it the way you did before. The input is all abut unity gain and good AD conversion. Like I said you can assign one of the A, B, C, or D knobs to the drive parameter. You don't need to buy a separate controller to do that. Just assign the knob to the value. There are some limitations with that as it is per preset (as was pointed out to me).

Ah, I thought you meant an ABCD function of the MFC controller. I was forgetting about the knobs. That still wouldn't help me though I'm afraid. Maybe someone will figure out a way to easily address this. Unless there's a way to address this though, I may be better off sticking with the Gen1 units.

Is it possible to assign one of those ABCD knobs to a global percentage for the input trim control of the amp blocks? If I'm understanding the design correctly, that would allow people that use the unit with different guitars as I do to get the same functionality from the Axe II that they currently have with the Axe I.

D

I have added a Global Amp Trim parameter. You have to go to the Global Menu to set it and it only affects the gain of the amp blocks.

Cliff, is this something that is or can be made IA assignable? For example, the way the current Axe-Fx can do a volume increment and decrement -- can you assign a CC which would allow you to increment or decrement the Global Amp Trim? This would make it possible to increase or decrease while playing without having to reach down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom