Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 9.00 Firmware Release

Reading the release notes I'm wondering if this might be one to skip...any significant improvements or benefit aside from the new bass OD? Ive never touched an advanced parameter so I'm thinking a new "speaker compression" knob will get virtually rusty on my box lol

Reading the release notes I'm wondering if this might be one to skip...any significant improvements or benefit aside from the new bass OD? Ive never touched an advanced parameter so I'm thinking a new "speaker compression" knob will get virtually rusty on my box lol
My experience with the Beta lead me to believe that this update is much more significant than the modest update list indicates...and perfect for a non-deep tweaker like you. With a simple amp reset, the important new parameters are loaded and ready to rock with much better and natural sustain and girth. ...YMMV, but I doubt it.....besides, Percy would want you to update..:cool:

My experience with the Beta lead me to believe that this update is much more significant than the modest update list indicates...and perfect for a non-deep tweaker like you. With a simple amp reset, the important new parameters are loaded and ready to rock with much better and natural sustain and girth. ...YMMV, but I doubt it.....besides, Percy would want you to update..:cool:

Cliff has been very thorough in keeping us informed as to every little detail up til now. I'm curious what leads you to believe that there are undocumented changes? I'm not doubting your experience. I just loaded the firmware myself and wonder whether I'm suffering from placebo effect in hearing a slight improvement.

Cliff has been very thorough in keeping us informed as to every little detail up til now. I'm curious what leads you to believe that there are undocumented changes? I'm not doubting your experience. I just loaded the firmware myself and wonder whether I'm suffering from placebo effect in hearing a slight improvement.
Not undocumented changes...IMO the new Speaker Comp is very audibly powerful..though no question placebo doubt occurs More often here than most places, simply due to the rate of updates......

For 8 solid months, I've been away from this forum (focused on new projects at work, 100+ hr weeks, no sleep, really fun).

By dumb luck, I check in this morning, and a new FW dropped 3 minutes earlier.

F'n. Awesome.

cheers

Removed the “Motor Drive” and “Transformer Grind” algorithms and associated parameters from the Amp block. These have been replaced by the new “Speaker Compression” algorithm. This algorithm models the interaction of the power amp with the power compression of the virtual speaker. The “Spkr Comp” parameter controls the amount of virtual speaker compression. This value defaults to 3.0 when the Amp block is reset. It does not get reset when changing the model. If using the Axe-Fx II with a tube power amp and conventional guitar cab you may want to reduce this value to 0.0. The gain reduction meter shows the amount of virtual power compression (select the Spkr Comp knob to monitor the gain reduction). Typical guitar speakers compress between 3 and 6 dB depending upon construction, age, volume, etc. The default value is conservative and yields about 3 dB of compression.
Note that the Master Volume control will interact considerably with the Speaker Compression algorithm as will the Presence and Depth controls. Higher values of Master Volume will cause more virtual speaker compression.

Improved Delay block. Also reworked the Deluxe Mind Guy, Mono BBD and Stereo BBD delay models based on the improvements.

Added “Blackglass 7K” Drive model based on a Darkglass B7K. The model was obtained with the Attack and Grunt switches in the middle positions. The Grunt switch changes the low-cut frequency therefore the Low Cut control can be used to replicate this switch. The Attack switch controls a shelving filter on the input and can be replicated using the Tone control.

Q.
Can I get the full effect of the new Amp Block improvements w/o resetting the Block by simply upping the Spkr Comp parameter from 0 to 3 in my existing Presets?
Or do I actually have to reset the Amp Block and then re-enter all my intended Parameter values?

Also...
I guess we'll have to wait for an Axe-Edit update to see the new Spkr Comp parameter in AE, correct?
At the moment, the old "Motor Drive" parameter in AE seems to be linked to Spkr Comp inside the Axe.
Are there any potential problems with adjusting this parameter inside AE vs the front panel of the Axe?

Q.
Can I get the full effect of the new Amp Block improvements w/o resetting the Block by simply upping the Spkr Comp parameter from 0 to 3 in my existing Presets?
Or do I actually have to reset the Amp Block and then re-enter all my intended Parameter values?

Also...
I guess we'll have to wait for an Axe-Edit update to see the new Spkr Comp parameter in AE, correct?
At the moment, the old "Motor Drive" parameter in AE seems to be linked to Spkr Comp inside the Axe.
Are there any potential problems with adjusting this parameter inside AE vs the front panel of the Axe?

You have to reset the Ampblock by doubleclick on bypass on the frontpanel.

The second question - I was also surprised - already with the betaversion - that the old knob Motorknob was linked to the new SpeakComp - but It worked...so what....:rolleyes:

You have to reset the Ampblock by doubleclick on bypass on the frontpanel.

It can also be reset inside AE from the Block Menu > Reset command.
The question still is...
Do we need to reset the Block or not in order to activate the new amp Block improvements or can we simply turn up the Spkr Comp parameter within existing Presets to the new universal default (ostensibly?) value of 3.00?
I'd appreciate someone from Fractal chiming in on this just so I don't waste a bunch of time re-entering all my Amp Block parameters across a great many Presets if I don't really have to.

Like Cliff wrote 26min ago...

."There was a minor change to the phase inverter algorithm that I forgot to mention."

So you better reset, it´s not only the Speakcomp.

I'm also interested in the reset issue. Previously the recommended procedure was to select another amp model and then reselect the first one. Is this now not a valid way to get the new parameters loaded? And can we not just change spkr comp to 3?

I'm also interested in the reset issue. Previously the recommended procedure was to select another amp model and then reselect the first one. Is this now not a valid way to get the new parameters loaded? And can we not just change spkr comp to 3?
I'm in the same boat. Has the procedure changed? Want to make sure I doing it correctly. Thanks Wyzyguy

The "amp reset" thing has been the one question everyone has asked about for years. If I remember correctly, both ways (reselecting the amp and bypass button double-click) both will change to the newest version of the amp. However I believe by just reselecting the amp, it keeps your settings for that particular amp. When you double-click the bypass button quickly, it makes all of the settings "reset" so EQ goes to noon, gain goes to noon, etc.

Someone let me know if this is correct but I'm pretty confident that is how it works. Years ago I thought Cliff did this because players were having to adjust all of their presets after a firmware update. Instead of adjusting a bunch of things, you select a different amp then reselect your amp and should be good to go!

i think the reason for a hard amp reset was to make sure the default value for the new parameter was loaded. a soft reset (select another then back) does not reset this parameter to default.
if this is not the reason....and the amp has to be defaulted for another reason... please chime in

Back
Top Bottom