Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 9.00 Firmware Release

So we have people who like 8.02 like me and then those who like the 9 beta. So how do we incorporate what was in these in to the new one? I dont want to have to adjust my spkr compression and volume all the time. I like it the way it was before so how do i get back there? I dont want to stay on 8.02 but dont want to have to readjust all my settings to maintain the same sound as I did.

Take a listen to AustinBuddy's sound samples of before and after Q9. I think most agree 8.02 sounds better though this may just be that the presets need adjusting. So I mention this for 2 points:

1) It will be interesting/insightful to see what Buddy changes to adjust the presets in Q9 and if they turn out even better then before.
2) I'm glad I'm not AustinBuddy :)

I, much like you, wouldn't know where to start when hearing these kind of differences that are beyond the realm of EQ or GAIN. I leave it in the hands of those more capable in these sorts of things.

Glad to be along for the ride though!

I am actually really really really happy with FW 9. It actually feels more like a real amp to me than any other FW.
For myself too. The Spkr Comp knob makes substantial differences depending on where its set - is it possible that the "unwanted hair" is somehow distantly related to the algorithm behaviors associated with that setting; maybe lowering the setting, and also tweaking the amp Master Volume, will bring them under control?

Hello guys!

Even the "Speaker Comp" being at zero the difference in tone between "Engine Time Const" being between 100 and 200 it's big.

I notice this with my power amp Mesa 2:90

Take a listen to AustinBuddy's sound samples of before and after Q9. I think most agree 8.02 sounds better though this may just be that the presets need adjusting. So I mention this for 2 points:

1) It will be interesting/insightful to see what Buddy changes to adjust the presets in Q9 and if they turn out even better then before.
2) I'm glad I'm not AustinBuddy :)

I, much like you, wouldn't know where to start when hearing these kind of differences that are beyond the realm of EQ or GAIN. I leave it in the hands of those more capable in these sorts of things.

Glad to be along for the ride though!

I could be mistaken, but pretty sure he said the only change he made was setting speaker comp to 5 on FW 9, the 8.02 presets had no motor drive in amp block and most motor drive setting were at 1 in cab block. Maybe try leaving speaker motor drive at his settings and set speaker comp to 0 in amp block would yield a more accurate comparison?

Hello guys!

Even the "Speaker Comp" being at zero the difference in tone between "Engine Time Const" being between 100 and 200 it's big.

Whoa.. I didn't think the time constant did anything unless adding speaker comp. Can this be verified?

Thanks for the update FAS!

Everything sounds quite a bit darker and muddier than before but as others have stated dialing down the speaker comp parameter does help a bit.
The amps do sound fat now so I guess I'll also have to get used to just boosting the treble and presence more.
This is a whole new experience.

Hello guys!

If Speaker Comp is zero the time constant does nothing. Any perceived difference is perceptual bias.

If you turn Speaker Comp to zero 9.00 is identical to 8.02.

My quick take: I can understand why people might think 8.02 is better for live if using the same settings. To me, 9.0 seems to handle treble and presence controls a bit more pleasantly, but that means that I can now dial in more treble and high mids to the sound and not get as raspy a sound as I would have had in 8.02.

I guess I’d suggest just treating the new firmware like you would an amp after changing all the tubes: you wouldn’t have left all the controls the same after that, would you?

For those of you saying 9 is muddier, etc, and that you prefer 8.02,I’ll just reiterate what I said before:make sure you give it a fair shake by changing some basic parameters. You may be pleasantly surprised.

If Speaker Comp is zero the time constant does nothing. Any perceived difference is perceptual bias.

Can be perceptual bias. I hear this difference.
Thanks Sir! :)

Would you use the Speaker Comp with Mesa 2:90?

For those of you saying 9 is muddier, etc, and that you prefer 8.02,I’ll just reiterate what I said before:make sure you give it a fair shake by changing some basic parameters. You may be pleasantly surprised.
Remember, too, that adding Speaker Comp—or any other kind of compression—will lower the volume. And that will always sound less clear/less defined, unless you make up the gain.

I could be mistaken, but pretty sure he said the only change he made was setting speaker comp to 5 on FW 9, the 8.02 presets had no motor drive in amp block and most motor drive setting were at 1 in cab block. Maybe try leaving speaker motor drive at his settings and set speaker comp to 0 in amp block would yield a more accurate comparison?

Yes, that is correct based on my understanding as well. AustinBuddy had only changed speaker comp to 5 in his samples. However in the last example, he sets it to zero, and it didn't sound like the 8.02 sample for sure. This has me concerned because Cliff mentioned setting it to zero makes Q9 the same as Q8.2 and they still sound very different in that sample. Maybe as you said, it could be with the cab block settings.

Thank you for clarifying Cliff. I take it this is when an 8.02 preset had “Motor Drive” and “Transformer Grind” set to zero as well correct? These values don't exist in Q9, so I expect they would in essence be set to zero.

If the preset used "Motor Drive" in the amp block in 8.02, could we could substitute that with "Motor Drive" in the cab block in Q9 and get the same effect?

Thanks again!

I'm not by my AXE right now but I am pretty sure that after installing 9 and doing the update to AXE Edit, when I change presets I am seeing different values for speaker compression. Shouldn't this default to 0?

Spent 3 hours at the studio last night after upgrading, going through all my presets at gig volume. Love every bit of it, I go direct to PA, made some tiny adjustments but nothing major. For me each firmware upgrade just seems to feel and sound better.

On the Real B7K Attack have 3 position.. Flat ..Boost..Cut.
And Grunt have..3 position ..Fat..Thin..Raw
WEB_Image%20Darkglass%20B7K%201308284535.Jpeg

That is my question Seed, in which positions has the simulation been done. I'm still waiting for an answer.

Normal position are Attack=Flat, Grunt=Raw

That is my question Seed, in which positions has the simulation been done. I'm still waiting for an answer.

Normal position are Attack=Flat, Grunt=Raw

What do you mean.. Normal position are Attack=Flat, Grunt=Raw ?. The pedal have 3 positions (Up,Middle,down)

lol..
On the Real B7K Attack have 3 position.. Flat ..Boost..Cut
And Grunt have..3 position ..Fat..Thin..Raw

Then your answer would be .. Attack was BOOST And Grunt was THIN

Back
Top Bottom