Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 9.00 Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
For a good example of the changes load up an amp block with the Plexi 50W 6550 model and a cab block with cab #61. Reset the amp block (double-click Bypass). Turn Speaker Compression down to 0. Now turn it up to 4 or so and notice the difference.

Notice how the low end goes "chunka chunka" and the top end "clanks". Pick squeaks are also more prominent.

With a little work you can get scary close to early EVH.

For a good example of the changes load up an amp block with the Plexi 50W 6550 model and a cab block with cab #61. Reset the amp block (double-click Bypass). Turn Speaker Compression down to 0. Now turn it up to 4 or so and notice the difference.

Notice how the low end goes "chunka chunka" and the top end "clanks". Pick squeaks are also more prominent.

Mind posting a preset of how scary close you got to early EVH?

Tube amps compress naturally as the tubes are driven, mostly. The speaker compression may not be needed with a tube amp. Solid state amps generally don't compress. YMMV.
Note that it says tube amp and real guitar cab? It's because you don't need to model what is already happening in a real (non modeled) rig.

Thanks a lot for the hard work! Just upgraded my AX8 to XM+ last weekend and I am very excited to get my hands dirty with this new firmware!

First off, thank you! Second, are these general improvements to the Delay block or specific to the models you mentioned? And do these improvements affect the Multi-Delay or Megatap Delay blocks as well?

Can't really answer your question but I noticed the 2290/Mod Delay now says 2290 2/Mod, so it appears to be updated also. I haven't had enough time to figure out how it sounds different. Maybe warmer/thicker?

Fantastic work.

So if we are using a Matrix solid state power amp and we generally leave on power amp modeling on the Axe, this new speaker compression also falls under this category?

First off, thank you! Second, are these general improvements to the Delay block or specific to the models you mentioned? And do these improvements affect the Multi-Delay or Megatap Delay blocks as well?
Cliff is usually very precise with his communication so the fact that he states,"improved delay block" means just 'that' especially when followed by,"also reworked ... indicating that they are 2 separate improvements as far as what was improved in the block, we will probably be reading about it soon when people start messing with 9.00.

Last edited:
I'm digging it! The moar betterer Deluxe Mind Guy does indeed sound very good. I'll have to dig my mid 90s DMM out of the closet and compare it one of these days. When I tried to match the two some while back I recall mine seemed darker on the repeats than the old model, but the main "missing something mojo" was in the way the repeats modulated and broke up a bit. From memory this does sound much more what I remember of that pedal (one of my all time favorite pedals, just difficult to find so much room on the board ;) ).

Thanks Cliff!

I can't check this out yet (Mk I here), What happens to existing presets that used those parameters?

Seemed like "Motor Drive" values get auto applied to "Speaker Compression" values (at least that's what I noticed right out the gate from the front panel on my presets that used the parameter). "Transformer Grind" values just get ignored potentially, as Axe-Edit is still showing them when I X/Y compare new and old settings after a reset, but changing that parameter doesn't seem to affect anything (not that I would expect it to really)... I was never a big user of that feature, so I can't really speak to how much anyone might miss it for the sound.

I've also noticed that adjusting "Motor Drive" in Axe-Edit for the time being will in fact adjust "Speaker Compression", as when I reset the blocks I see that knob in Axe-Edit go to "3.00". So just an FYI for anyone using Axe-Edit with the beta, seems like you can still tweak the new "Speaker Compression" values with the old named knob.

I was just playing with Motor Drive this afternoon and I love that it's been reworked in this revision.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom