Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 7.02 Public Beta

Just a FYI for those of you who maybe tried motor drive previously and didn't like it for one reason or another. This new algo is completely different than what motor drive previously was. Just as an example, I use to use motor drive at a setting of 1 - 1.5 and it sounded good. BUT, it sounded more like a typical compressor, as though there was a compressor in the chain somewhere. Now it is a completely different thing altogether. I am now setting it at about 6 - 6.7 and it sounds extremely natural, It no longer sounds like you have a physical compressor in the chain. If you previously tried it and didn't like it, or didn't notice much of a difference, go back and try it again. Use the gain reduction meter in the axe interface to get the reduction somewhere around the numbers cliff posted in the release notes of between 3 - 6 db of reduction. It truly sounds phenomenal!

I might be late to noticing this behavior, however when I bring up an older preset with a Stereo UltraRes cab block selected in Axe-Edit 3.13.2 (latest at time of writing) I see 4 pages on the left hand side: Cabinet, Preamp, Room, and Advanced. In advanced I see Motor Drive and it's set to zero.

When I reset that Cab Block, it then changes to show 3 pages in Axe-Edit, Cabnet, Preamp, and Room. Motor Drive is now in the Cabinet page, and is set to 6.67.

I remember the later becoming the new functionality, but I'm wondering why I'm seeing the older 4 page method initially. I did a 'refresh after new firmware' of course but it doesn't change this behavior.

If I create a brand new preset, when I add the cab block it has the 4 pages with Motor Drive in the advanced page and set to 6.67 and when I reset the block, it toggles to 3 pages and retains the 6.7 Motor Drive setting in the Cabinet page.

Again, I think this 3 page behavior has been the standard for little while now if memory serves, so I think that's the correct behavior but I've never refreshed a block and had Axe-Edit display things differently.

Not a big deal of course but just pointing it out to Cliff and Team as part of the BETA.

Gotta call total BS on this. I've tried motor drive in the past. I know motor drive. I've known motor drive in the AxeFXII for years. We don't see eye to eye and I've never really had a use for it, but I am pretty familiar with it.

This my friend is no motor drive.

This is what could only be referred to as "only the good shit volume control" (or OTGSVC for short).

Seriously, I installed it right before I went to bed. It was supposed to be a few minutes before I went to bed, but in reality it was installed many, many hours before I went to bed. I hope that it wasn't just suffering from sleep deprivation induced giddiness, but if what I think happened actually did happen then this is my favorite thing ever in the history of this product. Just turn it up (doesn't really matter to what) and all the good stuff explodes from the note under my finger. I play with headphones all the time....it didn't feel like I was wearing headphones if you know what I mean. I'm going to go have to go back and do some serious research/testing/evaluation (i.e., just play the hell out of this thing), but every now and then Cliff puts something out there that just makes my draw drop and I scratch my head. I think that this may be one of those times.

Basically if you are one of those "I don't like to update all the time" or "I don't like to use beta firmware" people....do yourself a favor and take the time to back up all of you patches and just try it out. Just try it out. Just turn it up between 3-5 and enjoy it.

Has anyone had any issues with the Axe as an audio interface with 7.02? Loaded it up last night and this morning the sound from the PC was distorted. (guitar sound was ok)

Reinstalled 7.01 and all good again.

Without editing anything by power on the axe it sound thick like hell on really low output level for sunday morning girls at home, tried the still got the blues patch and stay there for a long time before testing another patch, still no: “Stop that noise !“ from above me, thats a win win update 4 sure, many thx again Cliff and FAS members!

Has anyone had any issues with the Axe as an audio interface with 7.02? Loaded it up last night and this morning the sound from the PC was distorted. (guitar sound was ok)

Reinstalled 7.01 and all good again.
did you happen to check your USB Return level in the I/0 menu when you upgraded ...?

did you happen to check your USB Return level in the I/0 menu when you upgraded ...?
I didn't. If no one else has had the problem I will try rolling forward again and check those parameters. If no one else is reporting, maybe the install didn't work first time. Thanks for the advice :)

Gotta call total BS on this. I've tried motor drive in the past. I know motor drive. I've known motor drive in the AxeFXII for years. We don't see eye to eye and I've never really had a use for it, but I am pretty familiar with it.

This my friend is no motor drive.

This is what could only be referred to as "only the good shit volume control" (or OTGSVC for short).

Seriously, I installed it right before I went to bed. It was supposed to be a few minutes before I went to bed, but in reality it was installed many, many hours before I went to bed. I hope that it wasn't just suffering from sleep deprivation induced giddiness, but if what I think happened actually did happen then this is my favorite thing ever in the history of this product. Just turn it up (doesn't really matter to what) and all the good stuff explodes from the note under my finger. I play with headphones all the time....it didn't feel like I was wearing headphones if you know what I mean. I'm going to go have to go back and do some serious research/testing/evaluation (i.e., just play the hell out of this thing), but every now and then Cliff puts something out there that just makes my draw drop and I scratch my head. I think that this may be one of those times.

Basically if you are one of those "I don't like to update all the time" or "I don't like to use beta firmware" people....do yourself a favor and take the time to back up all of you patches and just try it out. Just try it out. Just turn it up between 3-5 and enjoy it.
Agreed with you on all points, except I have seen(and others have confirmed) that the new default setting for Motor Drive is (a nearly satanic )6.67..and I have found very pleasant results boosting that up to as much as 8.0..but I am mostly usingFW 7.02 scratch presets using all updated default settings, which I find gets the best results.

Last edited:
Even after many hundreds of gigs, there's one particular moment I always look forward to, being (primarily) a rock guitar player.

That's when it's my turn during soundcheck, on a large stage with P.A.
I hit the muted strings. Just a simple downstroke-upstroke.

If everything is set up correctly and the P.A. is on, it is a perfect simbiosys of moving air, hearing the sound coming back to me from the room, feeling the bass in my belly, and that compressed and slightly "metallic" sound created by guitar and amp (model). Pure power, that's what it is.

The new improved Motor Drive helps immensely to reproduce that experience of power, even at low volume. Like Justin writes, it's more of a "feel". thing. It doesn't change the tone, it adds power, through compression.

I didn't care for Motor Drive before. Always had it at zero. From now it will be turned on.

It takes up a little bit of CPU (or course), and and at high levels it will affect the output level.

Even after many hundreds of gigs, there's one particular moment I always look forward to, being (primarily) a rock guitar player.

That's when it's my turn during soundcheck, on a large stage with P.A.
I hit the muted strings. Just a simple downstroke-upstroke.

If everything is set up correctly and the P.A. is on, it is a perfect simbiosys of moving air, hearing the sound coming back to me from the room, feeling the bass in my belly, and that compressed and slightly "metallic" sound created by guitar and amp (model). Pure power, that's what it is
my lost brother !

Dumb question about motor drive. Most of the stock IR's I use (#24, #25, #94 and the ML ones in the cab pack I bought for use with AC30 amps) have a motor drive of 0. Are we saying that the new algorithms should change this and the motor drive would be something that should be used with these cabs that previously didn't use it?

Motor Drive is an independent parameter. It's not linked to specific IRs. You can can set it to whatever you want.

Motor Drive is an independent parameter. It's not linked to specific IRs. You can can set it to whatever you want.
Ah ok. so the fact that all my presets use 0, was that the default setting before 7.02? I'll give it a go later see what happens :)

So I noticed something different tonight - was thinking I should post in the 7.01 thread since I have not loaded this beta yet, but since it has bug potential, I thought I should mention it. I've been doing a lot of patch rearranging on both my Axe and Ax8 with Axe-Manage. During active operations, output1 is muted, and normally comes back after the operation completes. I assume this is normal. However, on two occasions now, it has failed to unmute, requiring a reboot. Both my Axe AND Ax8 have done this. I haven't been able to reproduce it reliably yet, but will keep working on it.

Just FYI for now I guess.
RR

In Q 7.01 the default setting of Motordrive was 0.5 - not very noticable in the cabsound.

So far, I've only been able to throw down with in ears, on 7.02. It was pretty late before I was able to update last night, but even in my in ear tone it seems to do something really pleasing when you turn up the motor drive. I'm on the default 6.something now, where before I didn't really like what it did, so I left it on 0. I'm not 100% on how to describe it, but it's kinda like a more 3D in the room thing, but that's not really fully descriptive either. But I like it a lot. I can't wait to try this loud.

Dumb question about motor drive. Most of the stock IR's I use (#24, #25, #94 and the ML ones in the cab pack I bought for use with AC30 amps) have a motor drive of 0. Are we saying that the new algorithms should change this and the motor drive would be something that should be used with these cabs that previously didn't use it?

motor drive simulates the characteristics that change when a speaker is driven hard (loud volume) or very lightly (low volume). A lot of classic guitar tones were recorded with the amp cranked to extreme volume (which can be very nice).

I'm curious on one point. If you are playing really loud either through amp and cab or frfr, wont this motor drive compression happen in the real world? And if so is it more realistic to turn motor drive down when the real volume goes up? I'm not hell bent on being realistic, just trying to understand.

I'm curious on one point. If you are playing really loud either through amp and cab or frfr, wont this motor drive compression happen in the real world? And if so is it more realistic to turn motor drive down when the real volume goes up? I'm not hell bent on being realistic, just trying to understand.

If you're using an amp and cab you aren't using the cab block, now are you?

Guitar loudspeakers are intentionally designed to compress. FRFR speakers do compress a bit but not nearly to the extent that guitar speakers do.

Back
Top Bottom