Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 7.02 Public Beta

Could be you're hearing the Speaker Drive portion recover quickly, rather than the Motor Drive portion?

I'll admit I'm not quite clear on "amplitude distortion" vs. "frequency distortion." I don't know how you can distort a waveform without affecting both amplitude and frequency content. Unless Motor Drive is an EQ thing...
Dunno...I'll see what the official release looks like but so far I prefer 7.01. A lot
It's like when I played a guytron way too much squash nice for big chords, single notes basically had to pet the guitar and as soon as you dug it it felt like a sponge.
Kinda the inverse of an ultra lead

Dunno...I'll see what the official release looks like but so far I prefer 7.01. A lot
It's like when I played a guytron way too much squash nice for big chords, single notes basically had to pet the guitar and as soon as you dug it it felt like a sponge.

Are you using stereo cabs? If so try with single IR. To me it felt spongy in stereo. Also try turning up the low cut in the cab block.

Last edited:
Are you using stereo cabs? If so try with single IR. To me it felt more spongy in stereo. Also try turning up the low cut in the cab block.
No way... Haven't used stereo cabs for years.
But I think I kinda figuring out why is bugging me but since I don't know what cliff modeled I'm guessing...
If it's voice coil compression then it should likely have an even shorter release and immediate attack.
The thing though is that at those 6dB of volume drop it would be running a damn near dimed 100 watters into a V30 loaded 2x12...and at those levels the cone cry and rubbing would produce enough overtones that it would be useless. I'm guessing that why I'm not digging it is that in my ysuage I'm like looking at 1dB drop real world.
Since I never liked driving a cab that hard since it'll also compress the room.
Back to 7.01 it is.

Just spent some time on the jmp od1. wow I'm really loving this new motor drive algorithm...
It makes my fingers so expressive ... The dynamics:D

Last edited:
I reckon it would except no speaker I ever used seemed to recover sonically as slow in front of a mic.

Except an opto like a LA2A is around 10 ms attack not really slow.

The thermal time constant of a typical guitar speaker is about 0.52 seconds. Magnetic time constants are zero.

The only difference between 7.01 and 7.02 is the Motor Drive algorithm. If you don't like it turn Motor Drive to 0.

Cliff, does the amount of compression increase or decrease with smaller speakers like 10/8/6 inches? Would motor drive need to be set higher or lower to be authentic?

I got to play an hour yesterday and have to say the new motor drive is amazing. I'm excited to add it to some of my favorite patches but will hold out till final release in case something changes.

Not sure I see the problem with the amp level having to do with the motor drive. I understand that at one value of amp level it sounds fine and if it is increased then it could lead to problems. I set my amp level for each of my presets and they never change. I do use a filter block to give a 4db increase for leads. Am I using the Fractal different than everyone else or is there something I am missing here.

I have only gotten a chance to play a few amps with 7.02, but for me, the feel of the motor drive function is incredibly authentic to what I feel with my real marshall and cab. I had been using the dynamics provided in the amp block to approximate what I feel with a real amp, and while that was ok, it wasn't quite dead on for me. This new parameter is much better in imho. I think I prefer frfr over a real cab now. Even in ears and headphones are sounding better. The Fractal team is incredible, thank you for your dedication to providing not only the best guitar modeling available on the planet, but also for your undying quest to render real life tube amps obsolete.

AC30, Hot Cat and DC-30. Oddly enough (maybe not) that they are all Class A amps. The Hot Cat is still acting up. It works for about 15 minutes and then starts to squeal. I hate Class A amps. They run too hot and eat tubes. They sound great right before they die though.

So does this mean you just applied your new knowledge theoretically to the amp models with the new Firmware or did they not receive any kind of new algorithms with the new 7.0 release???

Back
Top Bottom