Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 5.02 Firmware Released

I'm happy with my Gibson Les Paul, but if Gibson offered to make it sound better for free, why not?
So every update is instantly guaranteed to be better with no effort/time spent, now? That is a weird implicit assumption coming from a guy who vehemently argued in favor of maintaining a built-in rollback option. :p

Not to mention, backing up, redialing, the introduction of minor bugs, etc. Heck, the last update may have BRICKED two people's Axes yesterday. If I hadn't have had time last night I certainly would have skipped or waited (and have in the past skipped multiple minor versions) until I've been convinced we were on a rev with some legs.

It is personal preference for your work flow, your amount of music time, tolerance for risk/change, etc. A bunch of stuff.

Thanks, this was really helpful. I adjusted it and the notes are singing like they were in 5.0.

Edit:

OMG I can't believe the tones I am getting now. Thanks so much for the last update.

I should do a Tech Note on Preamp Bias. It's one of the main tools that amp designers use in voicing Marshall-style amps. For these amps you'll notice the amp gets tighter as you set Preamp Bias negative and chunkier for positive values. Too negative and things get thin and sputtery. Too positive and the lows get farty.

I should do a Tech Note on Preamp Bias. It's one of the main tools that amp designers use in voicing Marshall-style amps. For these amps you'll notice the amp gets tighter as you set Preamp Bias negative and chunkier for positive values. Too negative and things get thin and sputtery. Too positive and the lows get farty.
That there is one nice and concise tech note. What more do we need to know?

That said, I like tech notes.

Excellent info! Can't wait to try it tonight. Thanks.

Obviously you guys don't respect Fractalbot to be doing its Fractalbot job and reporting to Cliff that he skipped Firmware 5.01. Good job Fractalbot. Skynet has a place for you!
Cliff, that would be very welcome! I had no idea the Preamp Bias had such an impact on the tightness, chunkiness !

So every update is instantly guaranteed to be better with no effort/time spent, now? That is a weird implicit assumption coming from a guy who vehemently argued in favor of maintaining a built-in rollback option.

Where's the contradiction? And yes, If Cliff claims that the modeling has improved, I take him at his word. Further, the developers are the ones expending time and effort to improve it, not me. My assertion was that some people want to maintain the sound of their older presets because newer firmware often augments it. That's independent of whether I think newer firmware improves the modeling, which I do.

Not to mention, backing up, redialing, the introduction of minor bugs, etc. Heck, the last update may have BRICKED two people's Axes yesterday. If I hadn't have had time last night I certainly would have skipped or waited (and have in the past skipped multiple minor versions) until I've been convinced we were on a rev with some legs.

I often pass up installing beta firmware myself, however that wasn't the logic behind the forum member I originally replied to. He clarified the context with which he used the word 'stable' in his post.

Last edited:
I noticed a strange behaviour with "force default version" set to on, it resets to default preamp tube type when recalling a preset even if it was saved with modeling version set to latest and a non-default tube type

Where's the contradiction? And yes, If Cliff claims that the modeling has improved, I take him at his word. Further, the developers are the ones expending time and effort to improve it, not me. My assertion was that some people want to maintain the sound of their older presets because newer firmware often augments it. That's independent of whether I think newer firmware improves the modeling, which I do.

I often pass up installing beta firmware myself, however that wasn't the logic behind the forum member I originally replied to. He clarified the context with which he used the word 'stable' in his post.

Dude! I dont do betas and avoid some of those .ox, .ox.oo releases!(I notice they come in quick succession) I always wait, it works for me! I rather play and record stuff than tweak and update presets all the time. I come to the forum often and stay up to date myself! My FAS gear does all i need it to do right now!
Not that i'm a Pro, but i bet they only update if/when between/after projects/tours, just as i do...

I understand others may feel curious, anxious, obsessed, addicted, entitled to get FREE firmware and boast about it but that's not required to be able to use the gear satisfactorily.

Last edited:
The whole purpose of a "beta" is to get people to help find bugs.

Cliff has said himself, and I agree, if you rely on your unit for recording or gigging, wait for the final release.

I always wait for the release and the accompanying Axe Edit, as IMO when Axe Edit comes, it's definitely 100% solid and no bugs.

Back
Top Bottom