Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 2.00 Firmware Release

Although I appreciate your intention, what you're asking won't be fulfilled (technical reasons), but more importantly probably doesn't need to be fulfilled.

We have a tendency to expect to hear effects in the loop because that was how it was always done - but in the digital world, you can add it post-amp, and get all the benefits with none of the drawbacks.

I recommend adjusting your mindset to be comfy with chucking effects after the Amp block - sounds just as good!

Sorry but I call BS on this.

There are many people on this forum (myself included ) who would love the ability to put FX between preamp and poweramp. It's not the same as adding post-amp at all, particularly when you have a lot of poweramp breakup going on. Not that one is better than the other, they are just different - but if we are talking about 'realism' many classic in-built amp fx (reverbs, trems etc) were placed between pre and power amp. You may not 'need' it or think post-amp FX sound 'as good' but other people's tastes differ.

A send/receive block pair for in-amp FX would be awesome. I have no idea whether it's technically feasible.

But, anyway, I'm not holding out for it because I have enough awesomeness to cope with as it is. New firmware Fenders & Dumbles (which is pretty much all I use) sound fantastic. The gift keeps on giving.

HINT/TIP (as I didn't) -> When using AXE EDIT 3.5 with Quantum 2.0 Do not forget to go to SETTINGS in AXE EDIT and do a REFRESH after new Firmware

Suddenly there are new amps and other stuff ;)

;)

Took 3 times of refresh and rebooting unit before the amps showed up on mine. Lovin the JS amps.

Sorry but I call BS on this.

There are many people on this forum (myself included ) who would love the ability to put FX between preamp and poweramp. It's not the same as adding post-amp at all, particularly when you have a lot of poweramp breakup going on. Not that one is better than the other, they are just different - but if we are talking about 'realism' many classic in-built amp fx (reverbs, trems etc) were placed between pre and power amp. You may not 'need' it or think post-amp FX sound 'as good' but other people's tastes differ.

A send/receive block pair for in-amp FX would be awesome. I have no idea whether it's technically feasible.

But, anyway, I'm not holding out for it because I have enough awesomeness to cope with as it is. New firmware Fenders & Dumbles (which is pretty much all I use) sound fantastic. The gift keeps on giving.

It's been mentioned numerous times that the preamp and power amp won't be separated !

It's been mentioned numerous times that the preamp and power amp won't be separated !
True, but I think a send/receive is different than dedicated pre & power amp blocks. This might work, although I'm not sure how you would tell it how to route in the grid... maybe "amp" send/receive blocks like we have the rear panel send/receive blocks now?

True, but I think a send/receive is different than dedicated pre & power amp blocks. This might work, although I'm not sure how you would tell it how to route in the grid... maybe "amp" send/receive blocks like we have the rear panel send/receive blocks now?

That is pretty much what I had in mind. A send/receive block pairing like the current grid send/receive - anything between gets inserted between pre and power amp. I guess you'd need one of each for amp 1 and amp 2.

That is pretty much what I had in mind. A send/receive block pairing like the current grid send/receive - anything between gets inserted between pre and power amp. I guess you'd need one of each for amp 1 and amp 2.

Just imagine...

Amp one send, amp TWO return... effectively split pre/power sections (what several have been asking for for a long time) without ACTUALLY making separate pre & power amp blocks!

It's not impossible but it has implementation difficulties. The main problem is that the amp block is nonlinear and therefore oversamples the data. Any effect inserted between the virtual preamp and power amp would need to also run at the oversampled rate which means many times the CPU usage. For example, if the amp block is running 8x oversampled then the CPU usage for any effect inserted would by 8x as much (I'm not going to disclose our actual oversample rate).

The other way is to dowsample back to native sample rate, run the effect(s), and the upsample again. No problem right? Except the no-free-lunch theory gets in the way. Downsampling and upsampling add latency.

well, this is my first post and i have say the quantum 2 beta 2 was killer:) - i have the AXE 2 original about 4 years or so. - my amp to go was the Friedman an the best sounding version was quantum 2 beta 2:):):) i don`t know what`s wrong in the final version?o_O

well, this is my first post and i have say the quantum 2 beta 2 was killer:) - i have the AXE 2 original about 4 years or so. - my amp to go was the Friedman an the best sounding version was quantum 2 beta 2:):):) i don`t know what`s wrong in the final version?o_O

There were no changes to the modeling between that beta and the final release. o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

Worst case, use the beta.

yeah, i read that "there were no changing in the modeling" but maybe somewhere? i like the JS 410 to and this amp is not in the beta2 - i played a lone time the marshall 6100 with EL 34 and for the future updates i can`t stay with the beta:confused:

yeah, i read that "there were no changing in the modeling" but maybe somewhere? i like the JS 410 to and this amp is not in the beta2 - i played a lone time the marshall 6100 with EL 34 and for the future updates i can`t stay with the beta:confused:

The Friedman models definitely did not change. I don't know what else to tell you.

the JS amps were added. that does not mean the modeling was changed.

can you record a clip showing the difference between beta 2 HBE and the release HBE? i'd like to hear the differences.

Is it possible that you didn't reset your amps for the beta updates? This is something I've started thinking about because I'm a lazy-ass and generally don't reset anything when I update firmware because I don't feel like going into all my presets and screwing around with the amps blocks in them (if there was a global way to do this, I'd happily do it (and then probably complain about it :D). However, if the modelling doesn't change between now and Quantum 5 and don't reset my amp blocks until Quantum 5, I might think Quantum 5 "screwed up my amps" even though the changes that are actually affecting things happened many firmware revisions before. Just a thought.
-
Austin

Back
Top Bottom