Axe FX II LCD screen went out, fan dead?

aens

Experienced
Last night I was tweaking my presets untill suddenly LCD screen went out on my Axe FX II. There's still a dim light on it but it doesn't display anything. I tried to let it cool down a little and tried to reboot it but it didn't change. Lights on my unit are displaying correctly and it produces sound and otherwise seems to work properly. There's also a weird crackling sound coming from the box. Maybe the fan is dead too?

To be honest I'm a little scared to open the box and try to fix anything. I also have no clue about the warranty but I suspect this unit is bought from G66 because I bought it from a Finnish guy. I do have a professional shop close by where they fix amps but I'm sure they will just laugh at my Axe FX II and suggest I should take it to a computer store instead.

Guys, help me!

EDIT: just in case someone reads this in some point, I don't like to leave the case open for you guys. I contacted G66 support and they said that they will send me a new screen for my unit. Great support, absolutely brilliant!

tl;dr: I'll be getting myself a new screen from G66.

Last edited:
Sounds like the display's ribbon cable has jumped out of its seat. It's a known issue with the Axe that the display cabeling is not that well done.
I'd suggest opening the Axe and checking for the ribbon cable. But contact G66 support first to get the green light on it without losing warranty.

I had a similar problem on my first unit; the display dimmed so much it was next to impossible to see what was going. Sometimes the picture would come back briefly and then disappear again after a while.
Replacing the ribbon cable did not help and G66 promptly sent another unit to replace mine.

As far as I know it's still ok to take a peek inside the unit if you feel like it. :)

First I would advise that if/when you open the unit to work slowly. After taking out the external screws, slowly lift and LOOK as you seperate the chasis. There is a short wire that connects the fan to the "motherboard." The wire is plenty long enough to seperate the chasis and then disconnect the wires, but you want to be carefull and not yank the two apart. Once open, it will be easy to make sure the ribbon cables are seated properly.

I had a similiar issue about 18 months ago. After speaking with Fractal, they shipped me a new power supply which was easy to replace. (Disconnect wires & remove 4 screws. Then reverse process.)

Speaking of ribbon cables, after talking to (email) Fractal yesterday, I needed to open my MFC and seat the ribbon cables. Again, a "no brainer."
If you are uncertain of the advice you are getting here, contact Fractal Support. Yesterday, Matt responded within 2-3 hours. (Thanks Matt!)
Fractal Audio - Powered by Kayako Resolve Help Desk Software

I contacted G66 and got a lightning fast reply. They advised me to detach the monitor cables and put them back on. I did that but the LCD is still dead. I also checked the fan and it was working flawlessly.

Now I really need that Axe-Edit to be able to tweak my presets since I can't see anything... Maaatttt? :? I also happen to have a gig next month, which is nice.

I had a similar problem on my first unit; the display dimmed so much it was next to impossible to see what was going. Sometimes the picture would come back briefly and then disappear again after a while.
Replacing the ribbon cable did not help and G66 promptly sent another unit to replace mine.

As far as I know it's still ok to take a peek inside the unit if you feel like it. :)
I really began to wonder if this issue has something to do with our geographical location... :roll

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom