Axe fx II... good enough for professional recordings?!

Blor007

Inspired
Hello,

In a couple of months me and my band are planning professional recordings.

We don't have a world class budget (7k euro) and are looking where we could save some money.
Do you guys think the fractal can be used for professional recordings? (Radio-worthy)

Or is it still wiser to use it live and use real gear in the studio. (Costing an extra 700 euro easily)

It's good enough but you need time to get used to it, you can't just buy it and go to the session.

you could, if the session requires a sound similar to one found in the presets.... but like any situations analog or digital it will require adjustments just like a real life scenario.

The AxeFx II is definitely good enough for pro quality session work.

But I would recommend some pre-planning.

If you have traditional analog rigs, you might want to shoot IR's and create amp match presets too. To duplicate your analog rigs for the sessions.

Or if the tracking room has a some great amps, you might want to invest in some studio time to shoot IR's and amp match those amps too.

Richard

Hello,

In a couple of months me and my band are planning professional recordings.

We don't have a world class budget (7k euro) and are looking where we could save some money.
Do you guys think the fractal can be used for professional recordings? (Radio-worthy)

Or is it still wiser to use it live and use real gear in the studio. (Costing an extra 700 euro easily)
Of Course Check out Periphery II:This time it's personal

Yes it is, but you should do some advance work. Have an engineer come in and hear you guys play together and get him to assist you in fine tuning your presets in advance. Then use those presets in the mean time to acclimate to hearing them and to fine tune them if needed. Walking into the studio without doing so will become a time consuming waste of money.

I believe the AFX2 was used on Periphery II as a preamp for effects and amp sims, which went into a EVH 5150 III power section, then to a mic'd up Mesa 4x12. I think they used real drive pedals before the input too. IMO the box can excel in studio settings especially with the new post v10 firmware.

Plenty of large bands have used it on big records. Choose your IRs carefully and you're fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I LOVE my AXE for recording.
I'm not sure if I qualify as a "professional" or not, but I have made my living 100% in the music business for the last 25 years.
I like most genres of music, but I gravitate lately to the sound of classic hard rock.
Here's my latest recording and I shot a vid and posted it up on Youtube.
All guitars recorded with the Axe FX II:
Bill Leverty - Ace Bandage - YouTube

So you're saying it won't treat him bad?

I'd say your latter statement quantifies your first :encouragement:

haha 25 years in the music business qualifies as a professional yes hahaha.

I have had my fractal for 2 years. First my ultra and now the fractal 2.
And I have about 10 years of recording experience.

It's just that I'm far from a professional engineer/Guitar tech and I realllyy want this record to be top notch. So I'm thinking about hiring a professional for a half day to make the presets with me.

Anyone from Belgium up to the challenge? :)

well .. its even better than a real amp.

a real amp u have to place your mics, settings wont be the same if you have to rerecord something or do some overdubs. finally: you can track your guitars and decide the sound later (in the studio) with reamping.

since having an axe fx i didnt even touch a sm57 ^^

my recording workflow is like this:
- track guitars at home
- reamp them through highres mono cabs (theoretically you could get 50 different mic/cab combos to the studio to let them decide .. ;))
- mix the tracks

Back
Top Bottom