AXE FX II - FX8 - FLYRIG 5 question

jb70

Experienced
hi my fellow fractal forumites,

i posted this on the gear page and thought i would post it here too.

i'm trying to figure out whether to hold onto my axe fx II and liquid foot 12+ or sell them and get the FX8.

here's the situation:

i currently use the axe fx II for the effects only (no amp or cabinet sims) in front of a real tube amp. it sounds fantastic and has been working great for me over the past few years. the only reason that i still have the axe fx rather than a dedicated effects unit is because 1. i sub with a couple of bands who use in-ear monitors (no amps on stage) and 2. i have the ability to run direct to the PA or powered monitor in case i got to a gig and my amp wasn't working

now, i picked up a tech 21 flyrig last october for a fly date that i had in florida and it worked really well

i was thinking of selling my axe fx II and liquid foot 12+ midi pedal and getting the FX8. i think i could run the FX8 into the flyrig for those gigs where i need to run direct to the PA.

would this work and is there any downside to doing this? obviously, i won't have 100 amps and cabinets to chose from but the bands that i sub with are r&b/funk/dance bands and most of the stuff only requires a clean sound (or somewhat clean) with some basic effects. thanks in advance for any advice or insight that you guys could provide!

The only downside would be if you needed the fully parallel paths that you can create in the Axe. The FX8 really is most like 8 stomp boxes in a row.

My guess is though you could even downsize the fly rig to just a tech 21 character pedal in the loop of the FX8 and be pretty happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only downside would be if you needed the fully parallel paths that you can create in the Axe. The FX8 really is most like 8 stomp boxes in a row.

My guess is though you could even downsize the fly rig to just a tech 21 character pedal in the loop of the FX8 and be pretty happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

great point although most of my signal chains in the axe fx are very basic and are just what you said- 6 to 8 stomp boxes in a row. i had heard that the clean channel of the fly rig is basically a "blonde" character pedal. i'm not sure if this is true or not. i think i will stick with the fly rig though since i already own one and won't have to spend any more money that i don't have :) thanks for your reply!

I actually ordered a Tech 21 Blonde pedal for a clean tone and I've got a Lehle A/B switch if I want to switch between them.

Hi hippietim, as Killerbust suggested me:
You could make an A/B box with a relay instead of a footswitch and use the relay out to A/B switch for you; this is interesting: Remote Loopy2
In A you can put the Blonde, in B the British or something else... ;-)

You would need to recreate all your patches... and the FX8 doesn't have all the FX on the Axe

yeah, that's kind of a bummer but the only thing i'd really miss is the synth. electro harmonix actually makes a cool little synth pedal called the "micro synth". i'm thinking about getting one if cliff is unable to add the synth block to the FX8

Here's my experience with doing what you are talking about:

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/fx8-discussion/100091-first-gig-fx8.html

I actually ordered a Tech 21 Blonde pedal for a clean tone and I've got a Lehle A/B switch if I want to switch between them.

hi tim,
yeah, i saw your post about your first gig with the FX8. good stuff! couldn't you just run the FX8 into the blonde pedal and use the drives in the FX8 for your overdrive/distortion? this is the way i'm using my axe fx II right now. i have my redplate amp set totally clean and i'm using the axe fx II in front of it (for effects only) for all of my drive tones and other effects. i'm thinking that running the FX8 into the clean channel of the fly rig 5 would be doing the exact same thing, right?

Hi hippietim, as Killerbust suggested me:
You could make an A/B box with a relay instead of a footswitch and use the relay out to A/B switch for you; this is interesting: Remote Loopy2
In A you can put the Blonde, in B the British or something else... ;-)

I already have the A/B pedal :)

hi tim,
yeah, i saw your post about your first gig with the FX8. good stuff! couldn't you just run the FX8 into the blonde pedal and use the drives in the FX8 for your overdrive/distortion? this is the way i'm using my axe fx II right now. i have my redplate amp set totally clean and i'm using the axe fx II in front of it (for effects only) for all of my drive tones and other effects. i'm thinking that running the FX8 into the clean channel of the fly rig 5 would be doing the exact same thing, right?

I ran the British pedal in the loop of the FX8 rather than FX8 into the British. I much prefer a bunch of effects to be applied after the amp stage - the British pedal has a speaker sim built-in but I don't think that changes things much (I know when I moved the cab block after stuff on the Axe-FX that it didn't really change things too much. The same thing applies to any amp so it makes sense to do the same thing with an amp sim.

Back
Top Bottom