Axe-Fx II Firmware Version 12.04 Public Beta

wouldn't this qualify for the 13.0 version name?

You'd think so, but the fact that it's not makes me think that Cliff has something else specific for FW13 in mind, maybe the high res IRs. I haven't had long with the new FW, but so far it sounds fantastic. Having switchable power amp tubes is fantastic and I look forward to getting to crank it soon.

Thanks again.

I've had several old mullards ,They are sweet!!! I still have an old 12AV7, first one I ever saw,but it is very unique , between a 12ax7 and 12at7 ,but has an extremely sweet musical tone !! Of course I have nothing to put it in now! Tried it in my AxFx , but just rattled around ????!!! !:)! !:)!

Preamp tubes have no tone! It's the circuit which makes the sound - the tube just works with the circuit! Since there is no idealistic circuit, all where different, I can clearly say - there is no holy grail tube with holy grail tone! Certain tubes works better for certain circuits - this is correct. But the sweet tone some tube experts were talking about is just in their minds (and mostly just in their wallets, when selling such moonshine making NOS tubes to some believers :mrgreen:devilish:).

Cheers
Paco

It's not like other products where there is a huge change in frequency response. It's realistic and, therefore, subtle. Other products drastically change their frequency response when switching "tubes" but that's simply not realistic.

No way! … WAY!!! :encouragement:

Wicked. I can finally properly simulate a JTM45/100 with KT66 tubes. I know it will be subtle, but when I built my marshall years ago, and then switched it over to KT66 tubes, the sound sat where I wanted it to. Really excited to give this a try and see if the Marhall Plexi responds.

Cliff:
What about Transformers? In real life, you have to switch out transformers if you want to go from El34s to KT66. Are there any perameters in the transformer that should be tweaked? or is the tube change automatic?

I feel this is a pretty substantial advancement in the amp modeling engine so I've decided to share this. Please read the release notes carefully.

Things to note:
1. Higher Master Volume settings are possible now with less flub and smoother highs.
2. Improved attack and feel.
3. No woofy lows or ice-picky highs at high volumes.
4. The frequency response is dynamic which leads to a more "3-dimensional" sound.

5. To really hear and feel the effects turn up the MV and LF Res. Don't be afraid to turn LF Res close to 10. In fact some Celestion and Eminence speakers are equivalent to about 8-9 on the LF Res. This will increase the interaction between the power tubes and the speaker load.
6. Also, to "really" hear and feel it, crank it up LOUD.

Download here:
www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/axe-fx-2/beta/axefx2_12p04beta.zip

Well I hope you are happy with yourself - you really did it this time Mister!

Time for someone to take a [well deserved] time out! :lol

Had a few minutes to take 12p04 for a spin through the Mesa USA Sub Blues before heading to work - what a difference - more chime / less hi freq hiss - verified 2-3 above.

Thanks so much Cliff!

EDIT: opps! Verified 6 above too! Much to my delight and impaired hearing - the CLR are at my feet pointing straight towards what is left of my ears! :)

Last edited:
FWIW,

I'm usually not one to stroke your ego, but I'd say its pretty impressive how much you strive to continue improvement on your software.

Most companies, in your position, would settle with how it sounds (being good already) and then focusing on a dozen other satellite products to maximize profit.

Its interesting to note that there is not DIRECT financial benefit from you constant updating, and its a real pleasure to have new updates all the time. Of course, I'm sure this all sprouts from you mantra of Happy customers make the best sales people.

Honestly... I'm not really sure how you have time to work on these updates AND read/respond so much on this forum!

damn... just finished my git on our new record...
my presets sound even better now!
i'm happy that i can now try the re-amp thing :)
because i recorded all with clean channel :)

fantastic Sound now!!!

thank you very much!!!
just in time for me... hehe

Cliff:
What about Transformers? In real life, you have to switch out transformers if you want to go from El34s to KT66. Are there any parameters in the transformer that should be tweaked? or is the tube change automatic?

The tubes are "normalized" so that you don't have to do anything to the transformer.

The internal values for the power tubes are based on typical transformer values. For example, the values derived for the EL34 are based on a primary impedance of 3200 ohms (assuming one pair of tubes). The impedance ratio of the transformer affects the values slightly as the plate impedance is reflected to the secondary (or the load is reflected to the primary) and the ratio therefore affects the interaction.

It gets easier and easier to use the axe. We have allways been saying the new users that they should have patience, its not a plug n play thing.
But nowadays u dont need anymore to turn the knobs too much to get a good tone. Luv it:)

Reactions: ALE
It gets easier and easier to use the axe. We have allways been saying the new users that they should have patience, its not a plug n play thing.
But nowadays u dont need anymore to turn the knobs too much to get a good tone. Luv it:)

THIS is a big point.

When I started using the AxeFx with FW6.0. It sounded good, but to get the tones I heard on records, I was REALLY messing around in the advanced parameters. LOTS of tweaks.

for the past few FWs, I tend to only change EQ and level. I sorta feel like I'm not maximizing my tone sometimes! But there really is very little need to tweak beyond what you would normally tweak on an amp in front of you.

THIS is a big point.

When I started using the AxeFx with FW6.0. It sounded good, but to get the tones I heard on records, I was REALLY messing around in the advanced parameters. LOTS of tweaks.

for the past few FWs, I tend to only change EQ and level. I sorta feel like I'm not maximizing my tone sometimes! But there really is very little need to tweak beyond what you would normally tweak on an amp in front of you.

^^^ for sure
I got my Axe II on FW 3.0 and I remember how how PEQ /GEQ etc I used to have to add to get it to sound how I wanted.

Now it's come down to picking the right IR to get the "type" of sound I'm looking for and adjusting gain and minor EQ tweaks on the first 2 pages.
My patches are much simpler now than they used to be.

Back
Top Bottom