Axe-Fx II Firmware 19.00 Public Beta #2

Installed last night, coming from an early version of 18 (whichever one the IIC+ came with) and I dig it! Since 18.00 I haven't used a drive since I didn't think they played nice with the amps anymore (been using PEQ instead) but last night I whipped up a recto patch with the 808 Mod and it sounds great.

I still have to turn the tone up to 10 to get a clear sound though, sounds kinda muffled with it any lower. This wasn't the case with fw16 or fw17 as far as I remember. But it still sounds really good so I'm not complaining. Really opens up the sound with the tone on 10.

I am so sorry. I tried to stay inthere with you. I really did.
Everything was doing great but the suddenly last night it popped up again. Out of the blue.
I did it.... I updated to 19b2...
I am so sorry if i let you down, but know that i tried my best.
It's okay. You held on long enough. I will miss you, but your probably in a better place right now. [emoji22]

I see someone biting his nails right now. "Should I update? Wait two weeks!?" ;)
I've ran out of fingernails, I'm down to toenails. [emoji45]

Dang, Cliff estimated two weeks about two weeks ago. I can do this! Do not succumb to the warm glow of the beta link. [emoji85]

I don't usually post any comments, but I feel I have to express my enthusiasm towards the progression of the fractal machine. I've had the Xl for a little over a year now, at first I was underwhelmed when I received the unit. started dialling in my presets from scratch with the wealth of knowledge found here on this forum, and disregarded the factory presets as they didn't do much for me. I got by with what I thought was good compromise between good/passable tone/sound and ease of use/setup. Took a long time to get dialled in with the CLR as well, I absolutely hated it when I received it.

Fast forward to FW 18-19.2 and G3...I decided to re-load the factory presets and.... I'm totally blown away at nearly every single one of them...wow...what once seemed very tedious to dial in has become virtually a plug and play machine.
I can't think of any other company that provides the dedication and support of the Fractal team, and am blown away at what they offer as free updates.

a very heartfelt THANK YOU!

I like to think so but I'm afraid to imply things like this now. The power tube calculations now use a very high-order polynomial which gets all the subtle perturbations in the curves. This gives you complex harmonics that change with amplitude. Net result is more warmth and punch and accurate edge-of-breakup response.

Exciting stuff going on under the hood!

Thanks Cliff!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spent a little time last night w/ FW19b2 and ended up on an old preset that uses the '59 Bassman (using my Senn tele).. can't remember which cab I was using. That preset happened to have the Bender fuzz pedal in it.. at least last night at low'ish volume playing to a backing track, the Bender fuzz sounds remarkably better in this new FW. Not sure if it was G3'ed or whatever yet, but it sounds and reacts much better than what it did before. My FET drive "Klon" I use on every preset seems to sound about the same as it did before, which is great (my main drive model). Very promising..

Thanks FAS...

Looks like I might be the last hold out or close to the last haha. I love hearing you guys talk about the improvements, seriously makes me feel like I am almost getting a new Axe by the sounds of it all. Really stoked about this update, I am going to hold out only because I am working on several projects, plus Having the house remodeled, so that is taking up my time and it's summer so the kids keep me busy, but I must admit, even with all that it's not easy to fight that urge to update haha...

hello ,

on the drive , volumes are very strong, I am obliged to lower volume with 1 instead of 5 or 6 usually. You too?

maybe in the future (fw80 or axe fx7) we can connect the axe fx to our heads so we can dial in tones with only ''thinking'' :D too sci-fi maybe ? :D

hello ,

on the drive , volumes are very strong, I am obliged to lower volume with 1 instead of 5 or 6 usually. You too?

A lot of real world pedals have a ton of output, the BB Pre for example has something like 60dB of gain at maximum output.

I don't know if I'm a huge fan of accurately modeling this, as perhaps it would make more sense to have the 0-10 range on the Axe just translate to the typical usable range, but such is the price of accurate models. Just have to realize that one pedal might have the output set to 4 while another might need to be 0.4 to get the same thing

maybe in the future (fw80 or axe fx7) we can connect the axe fx to our heads so we can dial in tones with only ''thinking'' :D too sci-fi maybe ? :D

Sometimes thinking is the enemy of dialing in a good tone (or coming up with a cool riff etc)

Giving our brains full access to all those advanced parameters would likely just muck it all up. I think we need a way to connect our Axe directly to our ears, bypassing the logical parts of our brains that always tell us how we "should" adjust a patch, and simply let the ears be in charge.

A lot of real world pedals have a ton of output, the BB Pre for example has something like 60dB of gain at maximum output.

I don't know if I'm a huge fan of accurately modeling this, as perhaps it would make more sense to have the 0-10 range on the Axe just translate to the typical usable range, but such is the price of accurate models. Just have to realize that one pedal might have the output set to 4 while another might need to be 0.4 to get the same thing

As someone who likes esoteric, and crazy tones, (especially on solos) "typical usable range" sounds more like a limitation to me. Honestly, I wish the drives had even more "impossible" features. One of my favorite aspects of the amp block is that I can do things that can't be done, in any kind of realistic way, in the real world, essentially building amps that don't, or can't exist.

As someone who likes esoteric, and crazy tones, (especially on solos) "typical usable range" sounds more like a limitation to me. Honestly, I wish the drives had even more "impossible" features. One of my favorite aspects of the amp block is that I can do things that can't be done, in any kind of realistic way, in the real world, essentially building amps that don't, or can't exist.

Yes

Last edited:

What useful behavior can you do with the amp block that literally CAN'T be done in the real world or with traditional gear combined with another product? Not disagreeing. I just don't know the amp block params well enough to know what is the case and have never heard anyone offer any tone/recording here that is unachievable with 'real gear' and this claim sounds a little bit extraordinary.

If this is really true and the behavior is significant in its uniqueness, widely desirable and demonstrable; and this behavior is only achievable on the AFX it seems like it should be highlighted, demonstrated and talked about as a key selling point for Fractal.

TBH, I don't think I have heard a new, unique, 'real life' amp signature sound in over 10 years after the inrush of modern high gainers inspired by the Rectifier. Almost everything since has been voicing changes implemented by the tone stack and other minor tweaks. By definition, this includes all the amp block models.

Don't get me wrong I love being able to tweak an amp behavior to make it customizable to the point where it is like a "personal" amp and for me, this is HUGE selling point... but that does not mean such a thing could not necessarily be built IRL. If the Axe CAN do this it should be advertised or highlighted more.

Back
Top Bottom