Axe-Fx II Firmware 18.10 Released

I noticed with this firmware that I had to reduce the MV on a few of my patches regain some clarity. Amps like the Lonestar lead are noticeably fatter with the 18.10. A little MV goes a long way All in all I think it sounds great.

Stranger still that people can even perceive these differences. I've noticed zero changes between them and these are very slight tweaks, shouldn't suddenly make any vintage style amp sound awful.
+1. Based on the release notes, I would expect only very careful listening to identify any changes, too. I haven't loaded it yet, but would be surprised if I had to redial any patches in any major way. I know for me a lot of these FWs it's like you suddenly listen critically with fresh ears again and you're like "Oh check that out! This is great, that must be the new thing!" but I suspect in many cases it was there all along. ;)

Most of these small changes are pretty aurally insignificant, IMO. I personally can't hear the difference. That said, when you begin stacking enough of these small changes up, it turns into a very noticeable difference in sound. Difference between 18.08 and 18.10? I can't hear anything. Difference between 15 or 16 and 18.10? Huge difference! 9.0 that I got when I bought my AxeII and 18.10? Practically a different unit.

9.0 that I got when I bought my AxeII and 18.10? Practically a different unit.

I jumped in when it was at FW17 (it had just been released) and even from that it's a massive difference.
I agree though that the incremental changes along the way are small, but all stack up to make the overall tone and feel better.

Did some quick tests, 18.08 vs. 18.10. My clean patch (Carr Rambler) sounds about the same. My "grit" (AC-20), crunch and lead (both Plexi 100W High) patches all have more clarity & bite to them. I like that, and expect they will sit better in the mix.

Really? I tried all my presets and noticed absolutely no difference.

I just listened to my test clips with fresh ears and now all my before/after patches sound the same (not just the clean one). I should have taken a break after recording to do my critical listening.

I appreciate your feedback.

Terry.

I mean, Cliff himself said they were subtle changes...from the release notes you can see it was minor tweaks to the power section modeling....I wouldn't expect drastic changes, if even noticeable ones in tone. Probably more so in feel or response....

9.0 is what mine came with as well.

I jumped in when it was at FW17 (it had just been released)....

I've been keeping a copy of every update on my computer since I first got the AxeII. They start at FW 6.02, so I'm guessing I started with either 6.00 or 6.01.

I'm temped to load 6.02 just to see how different it is, but I'm a little afraid that I might actually think it sounds better. :lol ;)

I just listened to my test clips with fresh ears and now all my before/after patches sound the same (not just the clean one). I should have taken a break after recording to do my critical listening.

I appreciate your feedback.

Terry.
We all make that mistake. ;)

I felt the same with one of the 17.x updates. Everyone in the forums went apeshit crazy, so I expected a big change and heck I definitely heard a big change. And then I compared a clip from before said update and after and noticed no noticable difference ... except that I had my PA louder.

I mean... I'm certain you can spot the difference if you know where to look. After all, Cliff has always been a science-guy who doesn't believe in some mystical mumbo-jumbo. And I'm certain he wouldn't waste time with pointless updates that don't at least change the sound for the better to some degrees. But most people probably won't notice the difference. They just go "omfg update!!... everything sounds so much better now!!" ... and who am I to spoil the fun? Whatever makes you happy...

Stranger still that people can even perceive these differences. I've noticed zero changes between them and these are very slight tweaks, shouldn't suddenly make any vintage style amp sound awful.

In fact, I would be curious if Cliff could put out a FW 18.11, with zero actual changes, and if there would still be people who said it sounds better/worse.

My perception of my tone changes day to day. My hearing, my guitar tuning, how loud I'm playing, my mood etc all varies a bit. I think this has way more effect than anything else related to the hardware

The Placebo effect is very powerful with audio. I have experienced it first-hand, when I have been tricked by friends into thinking I could hear a difference between 'A' and 'B' , when in truth it was exactly the same material.

There are other psychological factors at play also, such as the pressure to conform with your peers.
Once, I was at a local hifi shop, and the salesmen (there were 2 or 3 of them iirc) were demonstrating the 'Bedini Clarifier' which is a gadget that spins CDs around and somehow "clarifies" them. I was sceptical then, as I am now, and I knew that there was absolutely no way that that thing could work. Yet, when he played the CD, then pulled it out, "clarified" it, put it back in the player and played it again, I could have sworn that it sounded like a curtain had been lifted from the speakers. I am not a "true believer" and i think a lot of audiophile products are snake oil, but I still need an explanation for what happened that day. I think it was the fact that i was surrounded by true-believers, and I wanted to keep the interaction polite, so my brain subconciously made me fall in line with their expectations of how I should react.

I think a similar phenomenon happens here on the forum, sometimes. (I'm not condemning it in any way - it's just human nature.)

Anyway, our perceptions of audio are very malleable, and external influences can really mess with your ear.

Back
Top Bottom