Axe-Fx II Firmware 18.10 Released

In general the improvements are subtle but there should be improvements in the "bounce" and slightly smoother power amp distortion. I realized I wasn't accounting for the fact that bias excursion is a function of the B+ voltage. I also derived more accurate formulas for the behavior of the various power tubes when they enter saturation. The improved OT modeling results in fewer ultrasonic overtones which, while inaudible on their own do result in more intermodulation "garbage" when playing multiple notes so you should hear better string separation and chord clarity.

Love it, I was tired at midnight, been playing around since then, its now quarter past four in the morning here and im wiiiide awake! Love dem new updates!

This is how big of an update junkie I am....I had set up and sound checked for a gig, was waiting to start and checked the forums in my phone. When I saw there was new fw, I almost ran to my car and got my MacBook so i could update, but didn't have enough time. I almost did it anyway...

Yet to update to 18.10, but my previous 2 updates also failed on the first attempt, never a problem before.

Did some quick tests, 18.08 vs. 18.10. My clean patch (Carr Rambler) sounds about the same. My "grit" (AC-20), crunch and lead (both Plexi 100W High) patches all have more clarity & bite to them. I like that, and expect they will sit better in the mix.

Terry.
Really? I tried all my presets and noticed absolutely no difference.

Big problem from 18.08 (perfect) to fw18.10 (loading twice to be sure) . All patch have more distortion , even clean patch are now dirty (in a bad way) . All patch have less volume too .
Come back to 18.08 : perfect ... Some précision : POWER AMP MODELING :OFF SUPPLY SAG OFF . I play FRFR .
Don t tell if 18.08 perfect stay with .. I just want to understand what s wrong .
Cliff said it s just a subtil change , but for me it s night(mare) and day . Maybe because i don t use power amp modeling ...?

Big problem from 18.08 (perfect) to fw18.10 (loading twice to be sure) . All patch have more distortion , even clean patch are now dirty (in a bad way) . All patch have less volume too .
Come back to 18.08 : perfect ... Some précision : POWER AMP MODELING :OFF SUPPLY SAG OFF . I play FRFR .
Don t tell if 18.08 perfect stay with .. I just want to understand what s wrong .
Cliff said it s just a subtil change , but for me it s night(mare) and day . Maybe because i don t use power amp modeling ...?

have you tried doing a system reset?

Big problem from 18.08 (perfect) to fw18.10 (loading twice to be sure) . All patch have more distortion , even clean patch are now dirty (in a bad way) . All patch have less volume too . Come back to 18.08 : perfect ... Some précision : POWER AMP MODELING :OFF SUPPLY SAG OFF . I play FRFR . Don t tell if 18.08 perfect stay with .. I just want to understand what s wrong . Cliff said it s just a subtil change , but for me it s night(mare) and day . Maybe because i don t use power amp modeling ...?

I don't understand it. You play FRFR with power amp modelling off?

In general the improvements are subtle but there should be improvements in the "bounce" and slightly smoother power amp distortion. I realized I wasn't accounting for the fact that bias excursion is a function of the B+ voltage. I also derived more accurate formulas for the behavior of the various power tubes when they enter saturation. The improved OT modeling results in fewer ultrasonic overtones which, while inaudible on their own do result in more intermodulation "garbage" when playing multiple notes so you should hear better string separation and chord clarity.

Cliff, why did the Power Amp Hardness default setting go from 3 (med) to 4 on the USA Lead models with this latest update (it may have changed on more amp models than those, but you know, they're the only ones I really care about ;))? After updating, I noticed my Mark IV patches sounded/felt tighter & the lower strings didn't sound as full. This seemed like too big a change in sound & feel for this update, not that I really understood all that tech-talk in the release notes. :mrgreen I had by chance messed around with the Power Amp Hardness parameter just a couple of days ago (trying it at 4 vs the then default 3), and it dawned on me that's what I was hearing after updating, which is what led me to discovering the setting had changed.

Cliff, why did the Power Amp Hardness default setting go from 3 (med) to 4 on the USA Lead models with this latest update (it may have changed on more amp models than those, but you know, they're the only ones I really care about ;))? After updating, I noticed my Mark IV patches sounded/felt tighter & the lower strings didn't sound as full. This seemed like too big a change in sound & feel for this update, not that I really understood all that tech-talk in the release notes. :mrgreen I had by chance messed around with the Power Amp Hardness parameter just a couple of days ago (trying it at 4 vs the then default 3), and it dawned on me that's what I was hearing after updating, which is what led me to discovering the setting had changed.

Good to know. Thanks for sharing. :smile:

every time i update these days,, i have to do it twice, because i get an error the first time. the axe fx is putting itself into update mode when it shouldn't

Been happening here as well for the past 7-8 updates, with the exception of last time on 18.08.

Back
Top Bottom