axe fx hardware > what kind of preamp!?

S

Soultrash

does anybody know what preamp is used in the axe fx!?
is it just a normal DI-box!?

cheers
S.

I think Cliff is gonna get angry... You think he charges more than 2000$ and then just puts a cheap DI box in there :lol: ? AFAIK, top of the line / state of the art components are used in the signal path.

Soultrash said:
does anybody know what preamp is used in the axe fx!?
S.

A magical one... I'm serious, I mean it.

I have put it up against expensive tube DIs but somehow the AXE-FX always wins.
I guess it's a "magic" that can only be created by someone who had 20 years experiance
with Navy low noise sonar equipment

;)

Soultrash said:
so it's a very neutral non coloring preamp!?:)

It's a very low noise preamp that resembles the first tube stage in a guitar amp.

Was it designed to be the best "neutral" DI?.... probably not.
I believe it was designed to be the best DI for a guitar.

;)

AndrewSimon said:
Soultrash said:
so it's a very neutral non coloring preamp!?:)

It's a very low noise preamp that resembles the first tube stage in a guitar amp.

Was it designed to be the best "neutral" DI?.... probably not.
I believe it was designed to be the best DI for a guitar.

;)

With all due respect is does not resemple the first tube stage in a guitar amp, rather a recording/mic tube preamp for general use as in vocals and different instruments.
So it´s not only a great pre for guitars but also for other sources.
From the Ultra manual:

Tube Pre - A completely neutral, low-gain tube pre-amp simulation. Useful for warming up
vocals and other instruments.

Hope this helps
RB

Rocket Brother said:
Tube Pre - A completely neutral, low-gain tube pre-amp simulation. Useful for warming up

Hope this helps
RB

no, i was asking for the HARDWARE preamp which is connected to the input jack of the axe!:) :mrgreen:

cheers
S.

Soultrash said:
Rocket Brother said:

Hope this helps
RB

no, i was asking for the HARDWARE preamp which is connected to the input jack of the axe!:) :mrgreen:

cheers
S.

Cliff knows :D
I´m sure that is a trade secret with the "special sauce" on the input. It´s probably a buffer on the input before the AD converter. I don´t think there is a hardware preamp in the traditional sense.

Actually, the preamp inside the Axe is a Triaxis v2.0, a small one.
I can tell this is the preamp from some of the sounds I hear, sometimes.

robertkoa said:
The new Foonborkles are much warmer than the 5000 series, I heard.

I am sick of Foonborkle noobs saying this. ANYONE who has A/Bed them knows that the new series - the first run of 99 units - where the paint finish was a little more mustard in colour than the subsequent standard orange have the warmest output and best signal capture.

I heard that because of the global financial crisis they had to reduce quality of a couple of components that makes the Foonies after 99 not quite as nice as the old 5000 series - but of them all the first 99 of the new release are best. You don't see them on Ebay much but i did see a guy trading an original Trainwreck for one.

There is also a guy who lives somewhere in the himalayas who reckons he can take your standard (non 99) Foonborkle and replace a few capacitors to reproduce the original 99 tone but I can not confirm his work is good or not.

Steve.

Back
Top Bottom