AXE-FX for a poor men... less US$999

hey, i really can not afford the axe, its so expensive. i need a axe for less of US$999.

¿how do that?

1. no rack version. make a POD style, must be of the size of the space in a atomic amp or less.
2. only a one chain of effets, not two. less processor = less price

I dont know,, must be a thousands of ways for make a less expensive AXE-FX.

bye and sorry mi english... :D

AXE-4LL

I can sympathize with your wishes but have to say I'm glad the axe-fx exists in its current state. The "what's the best effects/ amp modeler I can build" state. If Cliff listened to some marketing tard like the ones Line 6 probably has spewing BS about price points and who knows what else we'd have just another POD. Could cliff have made a better version or a cheaper version sure. Someday there will probably be a cheaper version I assume. That will come with time. The suggestions you're making are not realistic ways to bring things down to the pricing you're suggesting.

Putting it in a rack does not make it more expensive. Thats just the form factor that most high end gear is in. In fact making it more compact and in a unique casing like the pod probably requires more time and money to develop than using a more stock 2U case like the one the axe is in. The processor is only one piece of the puzzle. The other components are very high end and its a classic case of its only as good as its weakest link. The only thing I could ever see them doing based on the current model is loosing some of the I/O options for people who want to rely solely on the axe. Sell some gear, save up, its worth it.

I tend to think this is but a matter of time - just the in-depth Amp & Cab modeling in mono is enough for a lot of players if they can possibly afford it. We here are blessed because we managed to come up with the money - others are operating on a different level of finance, but they are still craving the taste of great amp tone, even if all the frills are not there.

~Rad~

Well put Radley, I forgot to mention that the axe-pc might bring the quality of the axe to a sub 1000 price. Given you need a CPU to match and there will be issues that go beyond the plug and play simplicity of current hardware versions but it will surely widen the fractal audio customer base.

I dont mind lower prices, but quality quality and quality must come first. .. it would not surprise me if heads are starting to roll in the line6 camp these days.

A used standard can be found for between $1200/$1300. If you can scrape up a grand, a couple hundred more shouldn't be a deal breaker. As with everything else it's a question of how bad you want it. I would love a sub $1K 'Axe-lite' for a backup. But I don't see it coming any time soon.

I'm of the opinion that if you can afford to spend $1000 on a processor than you can afford to spend $1500. It's just a matter of saving money for a little while longer.

I'm not extremely wealthy nor am I destitute but if there's something I want, I just save up the money and get it.

There's no shame in having limited financial means but isn't saying you want an AxeFx for under a grand kind of like saying you want a BMW at the price point of a Honda Accord? The problem with asking for a price-sensitive version of an uncompromising product is that you almost inevitably lose some of the attributes that made it desirable in the first place. Most of the things that people are willing to give up (e.g., number of amp models) don't significantly affect the price.

The 11R hits that price point but is considered by many to be less capable. When you get down to it, most of the technical advantages that the Axe enjoys over the 11R also make it more expensive.

We've discussed this before.

The cost of the processor will be what drives the price, mainly.

People try to say, "well just put a cheaper processor in there and sell it to us poor guys for less."

The problem is that without the fast processor, the amp modelling wouldn't be possible. Cliff has said this.

So you will have to wait until the current processor being used goes down in price. Which may take a few years.

The thing that is most attractive for most guitarists, the amp and cab modeling, are also the most processor-intensive tasks. Amps in the Axe are mono already IIRC. Secondly: to feel good the tasks need to be executed fast: latency kills the "feel". So there's not that much to be gained by slimming it down. It will still need quite a formidable processor to run just one instance of amp and cab. you might get by with a processor that would be a third of the power of our tigersharc. That is still a formidable processor!!! In processorland 3x as fast isn't a big leap. It's a small step!

About the case: 19" cases are standardized, made in large quantities and thus can be had for very reasonable prices. i.e. cheap. For a specialized case such as the pod-like housings it would mean huge investments in designing, big molds for die casting in metal, big casting machines and specialized assembly machinery, and therefore need very large runs to get cost per piece down to acceptable levels. Looking at 6 figure-numbers here. Line 6 can swing that. Fractal probably not yet. I think the Axe-FX may approach the 5 figure numbers by now, but would be surprised if it already had surpassed that. I have no way of knowing of course, pure speculation by looking at what passes through this forum...

Back
Top Bottom