Axe-Fx Firmware Version 21.00 Public Beta (Beta 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Downloaded the beeta about two hours ago after playing my main 5150 preset for a good two hours beforehand, I'm going to have to dial the slop back into that amp!

Some presets I won't even bother tweaking, the tweaks sound great and will save me time choppin' stuff off in a mix for the tighter chugga chugga stuff. I haven't even tried anything with single coils yet.

I downloaded the beeeta last Friday. My main presets (Hot Kitty, JPIIc+ Yellow) still sound great, no adjustments.

Loving the ride. Thanks FAS.

I have no idea if this is a bug or not (probably not) but I noticed that when resetting the Amp block with Recto Red Modern 2, Grid Bias now defaults back to 0.50 rather than the usual 0.540 from the last firmware. Is this perhaps the more accurate value? I remember reading how Mesas are biased cold to begin with.

(preparing to get bitch slapped by knowledge)

I have no idea if this is a bug or not (probably not) but I noticed that when resetting the Amp block with Recto Red Modern 2, Grid Bias now defaults back to 0.50 rather than the usual 0.540 from the last firmware. Is this perhaps the more accurate value? I remember reading how Mesas are biased cold to begin with.

(preparing to get bitch slapped by knowledge)
Maybe this:
The default values of various parameters have been updated. Existing presets are automatically updated to the new values upon load.

I can’t recall a single recording I’ve been involved in where we didn’t cut low end from a guitar track using actual amps.

There are so many variables involved in that that there’s not really a one-size-fits-all answer or solution to it. Change the IR and all of a sudden ya don’t need a bass cut any more, change the room the cab is in and you don’t need as much bass removed, move the mic 1/4” and there’s too much bass, etc.

There’s no, one standard that can be applied across all our listening environments, tonal preferences/choices/, ears, methods of getting tones, etc.
...and once you have settled all those guitar and rig variables, the mix engineer has to make the guitars fit with all of the other elements of the mix, which almost always requires HPF on electric guitars.

Everything depends on context: now the low end performance in the amp sim is tighter and more accurate, which is great. Of course there are those who want to apply mix-ready EQ to guitars, and the amp block is a great place to do this. I'm pretty sure it was Big Mick (who 0mixes live sound for Metallica) that told me that he sets Low Cut at 200 Hz.
Wait, what? Seriously?

FW seems stable after a couple of days. Sound-wise I don't hear much difference in low end on the Matchless DC30 EF86 that I use all the time, but it's not really the amp for that. I do hear better note separation/clearer chording/slightly cleaner "dirty repeats"... as if the gain got nudged down slightly.

Not sure if this is a bug or a settings issue… Since updating to beta 21.00, I am hearing a faint but noticeable crackling sound in the delayed notes when using stereo digital delay. Everything else sounds great with the update. 👍

Any chance that the final release will by available by end of the week? I would like to use it at a show on Saturday. Did anyone dare to use a beta release when playing live previously?

Any chance that the final release will by available by end of the week? I would like to use it at a show on Saturday. Did anyone dare to use a beta release when playing live previously?
Many brave souls have done so and survived...

Depends on the stability, mostly. I haven't seen any reported issues that would concern me on this one... But you may need to adjust your presets.

i'm among the brave souls who've done this. no stability issues to report, worked like a charm and sounded like a dream

Shucks, I'm struggling to get along with 21b over 20.05b (which I really dig). Yeah, I'm probably the only beta-hole this time. :fearscream::smilingimp:

I've gone back and forth between the two FWs multiple times to try to put it into words. To describe what I'm experiencing, particularly when I hit any string hard, the dynamics sound/feel rounded and compressed in 21 relative to 20.05. In 20.05 I can get a kind of dynamic "thwack" (kerang, thwang) that let's me know I'm hitting the strings hard (also a resulting 3D bloom) that I can't seem to get in 21 (same amp settings, both with CF & non-CF amps). As I have not played the vast majority of amps models in the real world, I'm not saying there's something wrong or inaccurate, only that it's changed to my ear/brain.

I'll play more with the low end, as well as increasing amp headroom as perhaps the amps saturate differently now with all the recent improvements. Anyone have other ideas?

Okay, I'm ready for the ire! :grimacing:

Shucks, I'm struggling to get along with 21b over 20.05b (which I really dig). Yeah, I'm probably the only beta-hole this time. :fearscream::smilingimp:

I've gone back and forth between the two FWs multiple times to try to put it into words. To describe what I'm experiencing, particularly when I hit any string hard, the dynamics sound/feel rounded and compressed in 21 relative to 20.05. In 20.05 I can get a kind of dynamic "thwack" (kerang, thwang) that let's me know I'm hitting the strings hard (also a resulting 3D bloom) that I can't seem to get in 21 (same amp settings, both with CF & non-CF amps). As I have not played the vast majority of amps models in the real world, I'm not saying there's something wrong or inaccurate, only that it's changed to my ear/brain.

I'll play more with the low end, as well as increasing amp headroom as perhaps the amps saturate differently now with all the recent improvements. Anyone have other ideas?

Okay, I'm ready for the ire! :grimacing:

I don't think what you're writing is cause for any ire at all, but I think it if you posted some samples using the same dry guitar track played through the same preset on each firmware version, that would be an awesome place to start! You never know if something was overlooked, so I think what you're writing is exactly what these betas are for!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom