Axe FX 2 to Focusrite scarlett

maharzan

Experienced
Hi,

I am having trouble trying to connect Axe FX 2 to Focusrite interface (18i20 in my case). I have Balanced Out (XLR) 1 and 2 of Axe FX connected to Focusrite input 7 & 8 and recording to Ableton Live. I had this setup all this time but just yesterday when I was trying to record, I noticed that even when I set the input level in focusrite all the way to 0, I still get a loud guitar sound. It looks like its bypassing focusrite altogether. When I increase the input level, it sounds louder and eventually clips. This isn't happening with my mic levels.

I also saw Misha Mansoor recording the same way after searching:
(correct me if I am wrong). The I/O options in Axefx seems to be correct.

I am trying to do a live event so vocals and other guitars can all go into focusrite and levels are correct in the line outs.

Let me know what I am missing and why its happening. If anyone has any experience, just let me know the correct way before I blow the Focusrite interface. :)

Thanks,
Chandra

Check your "direct monitior" on the Focurite. Is it on or off? When it's on you are more or less "bypassing" the Focusrite. (Not really so, but in a matter of speaking). In direct mode the audible signal doesn't travel from the Focusrite to your DAW and back again to avoid any obnoxious latency while recording but "stays" in the Focusrite and goes directly to your monitors.

If you're using an XLR to XLR cable then the Focusrite will default its input to mic level automatically. You need to use either a jack to jack or XLR to jack cable, or alternatively SPDIF to SPDIF (if your Focusrite has and SPDIF input).

Thank you all for replying. Yesterday, I tested with jack cable and the sound was really thin and very digital but, today, somehow, it worked perfectly. When the input knob is zero on focusrite, there is no level showing now. It worked as its supposed to. Not sure what I did differently today. I will have to discover it.

I don't have spdif cable so I can't test that now. I will keep checking tomorrow. Thank you again for your help.

I have a Scarlett 2i4 which I use with my Axe (XLR's).
My Axe presets are aimed to 0db on the Axe's VU meter, the physical volume knob on the Axe is set to 50% (noon), the gain on my Scarlett is set to 10 o'clock with the pad engaged.

I'm getting great levels with no clipping whatsoever.
I also monitor myself directly from the Scarlett input monitoring.

Maybe that will help you?

Thanks Birdy. I will have to check again about the details. It used to work fine I guess. Not sure when this started happening. I also updated the firmware of AxeFX and maybe that helped fix things. I will check with XLR again. :)

I have a Scarlett 2i4 which I use with my Axe (XLR's).
My Axe presets are aimed to 0db on the Axe's VU meter, the physical volume knob on the Axe is set to 50% (noon), the gain on my Scarlett is set to 10 o'clock with the pad engaged.

I'm getting great levels with no clipping whatsoever.
I also monitor myself directly from the Scarlett input monitoring.

Maybe that will help you?
If you are going into the Scarlett via XLR you are getting that mic preamp in the middle of your signal chain. The Scarlett's sound much better on the 1/4" inputs which bypass the bulk of the mic pre ckt. I thought mine was broken when I first tried to connect the Axe using the XLR. :confused: I don't want my Axe signal going through a mic pre.

Since the OP has a higher end Scarlett: SPDIF is BY FAR the best connection. IMHO.

If you are going into the Scarlett via XLR you are getting that mic preamp in the middle of your signal chain. The Scarlett's sound much better on the 1/4" inputs which bypass the bulk of the mic pre ckt. I thought mine was broken when I first tried to connect the Axe using the XLR. :confused: I don't want my Axe signal going through a mic pre.

Since the OP has a higher end Scarlett: SPDIF is BY FAR the best connection. IMHO.
You thought yours was broken?
Mine sounds great, I have no problem with the Scarlett preamps, they are not bad at all.
Though I'll give the 1/4" a try.
However, I agree that digital outputs should work much better.
I just tried to help OP by describing my signal chain which is simple and works great.
Didn't really address or read the rest of the comments :)

Back
Top Bottom