Axe FX 2 and built-in tuner

it's close enough for government work LOL :)
It's as accurate as any of my other rack tuners !!
It boils down to preference IMHO - some folks prefer the strobo approach.
with the MFC its displayed "on screen" and is a little funky (at first), but is accurate.

Very accurate. It was pretty much spot on with my strobo tuner last time I checked. you can also calibrate it as well.

You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna-fish...

Hello .... how good and accurate is the Axe 2 tuner ? Can I get rid of my rack tuner ? Thanks.

Hi rratini,

Serious question: Are you primarily guitar-player, or do you plan on using it for bass?

From what I understand, Fractal Audio Systems HAS NOT (yet) implemented a "bass-mode switch" (a la units like the T.C. Electronics G-Force) which does some fancy frequency-dividing (If I understand it correctly, simply divides the active-frequency-range-by-two!) to make the active-range or sensitivity of the tuner more optimized for the "octave-below" range-reality of bass-guitar!

If you are 100%-guitar ONLY, I think it works GREAT!

P.S. I play 95% guitar through my Axe-FX II (100%-guitar when it comes to live/gigging applications!) but I STILL choose to keep my old/trusty BOSS TU-3 stage-tuner in-line before my dedicated in-line Fulltone Clyde-Deluxe Wah-Wah pedal!

My two-pennies, ymmv...

Bill

I am a very longtime user (still) of Peterson Strobe tuners (no relation) but never have felt the need to use one with the Axe-FX. Every time I compare them, they are perfectly 'in tune' with each other. I like that you can also program offsets into the Axe-FX, most impressively.

yes, Low B (on my 5-string) does sort of float until the signal stabilizes :)

The tuner is balls accurate but the time it takes to get accurate results viewable on the MFC takes some time, presumably because the info is being sent down the midi/ethernet cable and compared. I prefer to just look at the display on the Axe Fx and don't use the tuner display on the MFC as the response on stage is too slow for my purposes.

My bass player uses who plays five string uses my tuner whenever he breaks his tuners (which is all the time) and he doesn't seem to have issues except with the low B which he fine tunes by hand.

I got rid of my Peterson strobe also. The Axe is pretty accurate unless the strings are due for replacement.

I use a Turbo-Tuner for intonating but feel very confident with the Axe's tuner for ... tuning. (I'm using with MFC-101)

I just prefer to see the strobe rotating and slowing down as it gets close to the target when intonating. Not sure how good of a job I could do with just the axe.

I used to use a Peterson Strobe Tuner, like most have here. I went to a Boss TU-2 years ago for "on the fly" tuning from the stage front as it fit right into my pedalboard. We never had a tuning issue onstage between those using rack tuners (Korg) and the TU-2. Since going to the Axe Fx I have taken the TU-2 out of the loop and remain perfectly in tune with others. Now adding the MFC-101 (which shows tuning on the display) I will be back to having accurate tuning at my feet, where I can see it during performance. And, as noted, the Axe tuner can be adjusted in case your band tunes down, etc, for live shows.

For me, having another tuner would be redundant. But then, I have seen people with stompbox effects in use instead of the same ones in the Axe Fx, which are superb. Sometmes performances come down to being comfortable and confident you have what you need in the chain whether it makes sense to anyone else or not.

Reader's Digest version: You don't need another tuner, but it won't hurt if one makes you feel better when performing.

I have a real strobe tuner I use for intonation, and used to have a stroborack when I was still rocking a Mark V, but I don't see the need for the stroborack any more. The Axe-Fx tuner is more than accurate enough for rehearsal, live gigs, and even recording.

The tuner is balls accurate but the time it takes to get accurate results viewable on the MFC takes some time, presumably because the info is being sent down the midi/ethernet cable and compared. I prefer to just look at the display on the Axe Fx and don't use the tuner display on the MFC as the response on stage is too slow for my purposes.

+1 The Axe display is much faster

I sold my rack mount tuner after I got my AXE FX II and MFC. The rack unit is super accurate and easy to use but when I use the MFC screen as a tuner it seems to be a bit fussy with a bit of lag. Still good for a quick tune though

Wow ... so many good replies. I have got the answer. As I am a 100% (even 200%) guitar player, I will save 1 rack space and go with the Axe/MFC tuner. Anyway, I use the tuner only a couple of times during my live performances ... most of the time I can hear and retune my strings on the fly ;-) ... Thanks a lot for the good feedback.

Anyone know if it's possible to dial in the GTR™ Sweetened Tuning™ on the Axe Fx2 tuner? And if so have more information on how many cent each string needs adjusted? I really liked the sound I got out of my Strat using this setting on the original blue stomp.

I play professionally, about 50/50 between guitar and bass, and it's plenty accurate in my experience. The low B on basses to tend to fluctuate, but that's not the tuner's fault; it's just the physics of such a thick string. It stretches out when attacked, going sharp, and then calms down after a second.

Back
Top Bottom