Axe Edit 3.2.0 in XP

happycritter

Inspired
Hello folks:

I was able to get Axe Edit 3.2.0 to install and function perfectly on Win7 and Win8, however, for some reason it will not communicate with the AxeFXII on the XP machine. The XP computer recognizes the AxeFXII as a soundcard yet Axe Edit cannot connect. Any tips?

The XP computer recognizes the AxeFXII as a soundcard yet Axe Edit cannot connect. Any tips?

My tip: ditch Windows XP. It's over a year now since Microsoft has stopped supporting it and if it's connecting to the internet, you're just asking for trouble... After a while, FAS will not be able to support it either so you might as well just get a jump off that XP boat while you can. Just some advice.

But yes, verify the drivers were installed prior to plugging it in. If not, Start > run (or Windows Logo Key + "R") > devmgmt.msc to open Device Manager. Then search for the "sound card" device > properties > drivers > "Update Drivers". Navigate to the folder that you installed from FAS as the "update driver" path.

My tip: ditch Windows XP. It's over a year now since Microsoft has stopped supporting it and if it's connecting to the internet, you're just asking for trouble... After a while, FAS will not be able to support it either so you might as well just get a jump off that XP boat while you can. Just some advice.

But yes, verify the drivers were installed prior to plugging it in. If not, Start > run (or Windows Logo Key + "R") > devmgmt.msc to open Device Manager. Then search for the "sound card" device > properties > drivers > "Update Drivers". Navigate to the folder that you installed from FAS as the "update driver" path.

Thanks for the reply.

The XP box *rarely* touches the intrawebz. The Axe Edit installer did not unpack the executable in the folder thus not isolating the driver for pointing. Orphaned state of XP is well known except to the Carmelites. It's a financial double-whammy to upgrade that box to Win7, so XP it must be. Besides, I feel I get those vintage 90s' tones by using upper-midrange gear of that era (Creamware Pulsar, RAMSA DA-7, XP, SAS HDs, etc.). Something happened on the way to the forum between installing the driver and opening Axe Edit.

Thanks for reply - yes, driver is installed
You know that there are 2 drivers, right? One for USB audio, and one for the USB to MIDI driver for Axe-Edit to Axe-FX communication.

In Fractal-Bot, can you select Axe-FX MIDI as input or output? If not, then the driver still is not installed.

You know that there are 2 drivers, right? One for USB audio, and one for the USB to MIDI driver for Axe-Edit to Axe-FX communication.

In Fractal-Bot, can you select Axe-FX MIDI as input or output? If not, then the driver still is not installed.

Thank you for the tip!

I may have done just that.

Like a dummy, I forgot to 'unhide' files so I could *see* if the driver was there. I'm sure the folder/files-structure should look similar between the XP and Win7 versions of the driver (excepting for a few different names +/- a (few) file(s)).

I will report back in a few...

Reinstalled the driver from the >Control Panel>Hardware Profile>Sound devices...>Axe FX II>Update Driver path. Communicating with XP now!

AND

*NOT* conflicting with my old Pulsar card (didn't think it would because the AFII and the Pulsar are both ADI SHARC-based designs - and ADI makes some very robust drivers/tools). This is encouraging because it means my planned audio upgrade *should* integrate seamlessly with the AFII (which, as a guitarist, is now the heart of my audio toolbox).

Now, time to get SONAR to play nice with everybody. lol

EDIT:

Thanks to all for their tips!

Last edited:
Update:

There are no driver conflicts within Windows XP - everything seems stable in that area. Unfortunately, the SCOPE Fusion Platform wants to be the boss when I want the Axe FX II to be the boss within SONAR. Alas, I must do a lot a device management (i.e. juggling, tumbling, toggling active devices) to switch between tracking and mixing. SCOPE for mixing, AxeFX II for something worth mixing...

Back
Top Bottom