AXE 3 as a plugin - best thing for the environment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Secret sauce on the input stage is a thing. So not a 1:1 experience unless you did involve the hardware somehow.
Great point. With the Axe hardware the superb signal path is fixed from input to output.
(Edit: to clarify, the internal path itself is not fixed, but the sound quality is maintained throughout the signal path.)

Fractal's legendary sound quality would be compromised by third party audio interfaces with cheap convertors, low quality DI, high noise floor, clock jitter, etc.

So essentially, at that point, FAS would be lowering their standard for exceptional amp modeling.

Last edited:
Environment ?
Whose environment are we talking about here? Little to no latency on Fractal’s dedicated hardware is a match made in heaven for my environment.

Landfills?
Where are these landfills full of discarded Fractal gear? I mean who is throwing away perfectly good used Fractal hardware??
Lol

I gave my Ultra away to a family member in 2015 and it’s still kicking right along today.

Environment ?
Whose environment are we talking about here? Little to no latency on Fractal’s dedicated hardware is a match made in heaven for my environment.

Landfills?
Where are these landfills full of discarded Fractal gear? I mean who is throwing away perfectly good used Fractal hardware??
Lol

I gave my Ultra away to a family member in 2015 and it’s still kicking right along today.
Junkyard destined for landfill
https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=axe fx&make=fractal-audio&product_type=effects-and-pedals

A software defined axe fx would remove the hardware limitations and innovation would be independent of the hardware - its a win win, not to mention lowering the carbon footprint...
I mean jeez. The revenue source is the hardware only. With a software model you could have multiple tier subscription model. Make all that amazing firmware dev a monetization play. A fractal sdk for third party software developers to integrate onto the platform. A SaaS model for for mastering like slate. It’s endless the money that could be made. The market is consolidating either lead or chase.
Cliff has already said multiple times that it's not happening and has named his reasons why. Since you apparently have all the answers, feel free to develop and market your own software. And your "carbon footprint" comments are laughable and nothing but virtue posturing. The carbon footprint of a small company like Fractal is imperceptible compared to that of virtually every other product manufacturer in your life.

A software defined axe fx would remove the hardware limitations and innovation would be independent of the hardware - its a win win, not to mention lowering the carbon footprint...
You can implement all your wonderful ideas when you start your own successful guitar amp modeling company…..biggrin.gif

Cliff has already said multiple times that it's not happening and has named his reasons why. Since you apparently have all the answers, feel free to develop and market your own software. And your "carbon footprint" comments are laughable and nothing but virtue posturing. The carbon footprint of a small company like Fractal is imperceptible compared to that of virtually every other product manufacturer in your life.
OK carbon footprint is negligible.. 3x generations of AXE's + or minus - let's say 80K units sold x3 generations. still think that is negligible and virtue postering.
Just like new music with actual guitar parts it's negligible. Sorry to say that because I love playing guitar - it's just not relevant.

I can appreciate the question of an Axe Plugin, it does seem like a logical step. There's (mostly ;)) no harm in asking, and I asked the same question way back when I got my first Axe, (Axe II).

As far as landfills, FAS is a small company so their environmental impact based on units sold is likely relatively small.

It has been my experience that high-end music gear stays in circulation a long time. A PC is far more likely to wind up in a landfill.

For example, I sold a substantial guitar rig when I stopped playing live gigs. A friend bought it all. 20years later his son has it all. I been to studios who revere 70's recording gear, compressors, preamps, mics, guitar amps etc.

I see the Axe in a similar light as performance cars. They are not disposable consumer items and are usually valued by owners for many years before being passed on to the next owner.

OK carbon footprint is negligible.. 3x generations of AXE's + or minus - let's say 80K units sold x3 generations. still think that is negligible and virtue postering.
Just like new music with actual guitar parts it's negligible. Sorry to say that because I love playing guitar - it's just not relevant.

Don’t take this the wrong way as it is not meant to be a negative, but using “better for the environment“ as an argument is In itself a form of virtue signaling.

In a perfect world, axe edit would be a VST and recall settings upon session launch. Also in a perfect world, the AxeFXIV would offer not only separate signal paths, but separately recallable ones within the same preset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom