AX8 with an amp

Jalevinemd

Inspired
If you don't have an amp with an effects loop, is it possible to get the most out of the amp/cab simulation features in the AX8? My understaning is that running such devices through the front end of an amp sounds like crap.

You would use it for effects only direct into an amp.

Otherwise run it direct to FOH! It will be best move you ever made 8)

Well, it would be the same as using regular stompbox-type pedals in front of an amp. As long as your amp is running clean, then it'll sound fine. But if you start putting delay and reverb into an overdriven amp, things get weird. Or creative; however you want to look at it. There are no laws. But yeah, it will most likely sound like crap.

What is the exact setup you will be running?
Why not go for the FX8? Or do you need the direct option on occasion?

What is the exact setup you will be running?
Why not go for the FX8? Or do you need the direct option on occasion?

I've already got an FX8 and love it. Just figured the amp/cab simulations could be fun to mess with. But none of my amps have an effects loop. So I guess I'll be passing. :encouragement:

I've already got an FX8 and love it. Just figured the amp/cab simulations could be fun to mess with. But none of my amps have an effects loop. So I guess I'll be passing. :encouragement:

Well if you ask me in that case you'd still be at some advantage. Because the FX8 strengths are 4 cable method to an extent. I'm sure the I/O are a bit better too but since you aren't using an fx loop you could easily convert to the AX8 and have the option of a backup amp, practicing quietly at home, recording, light mobile practice rig....etc. You basically just gain the amp and cab blocks. Although I'd wait to compare the two for any I/O quality you may be giving up with the AX8. My 2 cents.

Cliff has said that AX8 will do 4CM (but that it is not optimized for it like the FX8 is). Does this mean that when using AX8 with a real amp that each effect will be assignable as either front of amp or in the fx loop?

Cliff has said that AX8 will do 4CM (but that it is not optimized for it like the FX8 is). Does this mean that when using AX8 with a real amp that each effect will be assignable as either front of amp or in the fx loop?

Its going to work exactly like 4cm does on the axe fx. The AX8 will have the same 4x12 matrix as the axe fx does so you just have to insert the FXL block where you want your head.

Good excuse to buy another amp with a loop. :):eagerness::devilish::encouragement:

My excuse was going to be that I really need that amp in a room feel. But it's got to be small for when I feel inspiration at airports and fast food restaurants.

My excuse was going to be that I really need that amp in a room feel. But it's got to be small for when I feel inspiration at airports and fast food restaurants.

I guess I need to get out more. I can't think of an occasion when I was enjoying some tasty french fries at McDonalds and thought to myself, "I'm feeling inspired, let me just pull out my guitar and amp and play some tunes right here, right now". Is that a NYC thing?

I was sarcastically riffing off another thread where a guy was pissed about the lack of USB recording interface for when he wants to record at airports and hotels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess I need to get out more. I can't think of an occasion when I was enjoying some tasty french fries at McDonalds and thought to myself, "I'm feeling inspired, let me just pull out my guitar and amp and play some tunes right here, right now". Is that a NYC thing?

Egads... I thought crying babies, and whiny kids in restaurants were annoying.

Outside of metal/djent/hard rock, LOTS of guys run single-channel amps, say Fender combos. Get a good clean (or mostly clean) amp tone, and get various crunch and lead drive flavors with pedals.

* Either the FX8 or the AX8 could replace all your pedals in this scenario, and sound equally great.

* This scenario makes no use of 4cm optimization and relays (bonus features of FX8 ).

* Also makes no use of amp\cab models (bonus features of AX-8 ).

Which one to buy? Depends on your alternate scenarios. Maybe you'll pick up a channel-switcher amp in future (go FX8 ), or maybe you want to test amp/cab modelling, have it there for backup at the gig in case your amp dies, or use it at home for quiet practice or recording. (go AX-8 ).

I don't see a better way to fully enjoy the AX8 than to plug it directly into a mix pult or an active box or into some good speakers. The amp models from FAS are beyond everything.

I was about to pull the trigger on an FX8 until I saw new details on the AX8. I plan to stick with a real amp, for now. I don't use 4CM and I don't have a channel switching amp (i.e. no relays). I normally run pedals in to the front of a single channel, clean amp and get dirt/drive from pedals. If I am understanding Robboman correctly, for my situation the AX8 as effects only will be just as good as the FX8. Correct? It sounds like I would not be utilizing the FX8s main selling points... Relays and 4CM optimization. Or, Am I missing something?

Back
Top Bottom