AX8 vs Helix for metal...

Hey Ola, excellent video, truly honest!
A very detailed dissection of both units in 8 minutes, I like that you compared euro prices, it's a thing to consider for us residents.
I really enjoy that you posted your AX8 presets, nice gesture man!
I recomend your metal tone tutorial for AX8, you can find 2 Ola's metal rhythm presets here too:

One question: In the Helix folder I find a Wav of your impulse, you converted to syx format with cablab?

Glad you're here!

Last edited:
why the heck is this thread sticky'd?
Why not?

I mean most people who do not own a unit and who are not biased #1 question will be should I get the Helix or an AX8.

This is a very honest and unbiased comparison in my opinion so I think it is noble for this to be stickied. Let the viewer decide on his own instead of just having a bunch of fluff.

Last edited:
Hi my friend!

I noticed that something is wrong with the Syx cab file.
I compared the Syx against the Wav of the helix folder and found some diferences.
Looking at the magnitude there are some peaks and valleys longer/shorter:
1.JPG
2.JPG
If you look the phase the gap is bigger:
3.JPG
4.JPG

I guess the wav to syx conversion was somewhat corrupted/truncated/whatever and I tried to restore a fresh Syx file.
I asume the Wav is the primal data.
I don’t have Cablab so I used Axeomatic to convert the Wav to Syx Axe2 file.
Then I used Fractool to convert the Syx to Ax8 format. The result is attached for all platforms.

Now the Syx and Wav plots match...
5.JPG
...but all the graph stuff in senseless without the audio.

I made a short comparison clip with my main preset. All settings, sloppy playing, budget recording gear and background noise are the same, only changes the IR.

First take is the Syx file that you used in the video (Ola Hesu M160-rev1.syx), second take is the syx file that I converted from wav with Axeomatic (Ola Hesu M160-rev1AOM.syx).

IMHO First half have more low end energy and the result is darker to my ears, I really dig second take...you have a great great IR here!

I don’t think nothing of this is intentional, I know that is easy to mess things with the damn buttons! You uploaded the files and this is a transparent move.

I’m conscious that redo the user cab clips of the video involves a massive amount of work but we all can agree that a valid and faithfull comparison between devices is only posible using the same exact IR in both cases.

Attachments

• Ola AOM IRs.zip
    35.2 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Hi my friend!

I noticed that something is wrong with the Syx cab file.
I compared the Syx against the Wav of the helix folder and found some diferences.
Looking at the magnitude there are some peaks and valleys longer/shorter:
View attachment 35283
View attachment 35284
If you look the phase the gap is bigger:
View attachment 35285
View attachment 35286

I guess the wav to syx conversion was somewhat corrupted/truncated/whatever and I tried to restore a fresh Syx file.
I asume the Wav is the primal data.
I don’t have Cablab so I used Axeomatic to convert the Wav to Syx Axe2 file.
Then I used Fractool to convert the Syx to Ax8 format. The result is attached for all platforms.

Now the Syx and Wav plots match...
View attachment 35287
...but all the graph stuff in senseless without the audio.

I made a short comparison clip with my main preset. All settings, sloppy playing, budget recording gear and background noise are the same, only changes the IR.

First take is the Syx file that you used in the video (Ola Hesu M160-rev1.syx), second take is the syx file that I converted from wav with Axeomatic (Ola Hesu M160-rev1AOM.syx).

IMHO First half have more low end energy and the result is darker to my ears, I really dig second take...you have a great great IR here!

I don’t think nothing of this is intentional, I know that is easy to mess things with the damn buttons! You uploaded the files and this is a transparent move.

I’m conscious that redo the user cab clips of the video involves a massive amount of work but we all can agree that a valid and faithfull comparison between devices is only posible using the same exact IR in both cases.

I think you'd better convert the IR with cab-lab lite (free version of cab-lab) because aom is pretty outdated and IIRC something has changed in the syx format since the last version was released, be sure to select the same lenght between the two too (Normal res= 1024 samples, high res= 2040).
I'd also check the various transformations applied to the converted file (min phase, auto-trim, none) and see which one matches the one on the Helix (maybe it applies some too when you load an IR, idk)

I think you'd better convert the IR with cab-lab lite
Sorry, I have an old 2003 laptop that runs windows XP and cab-lab lite requires windows vista or newer, so i can't install this nice tool...Yeah, I'm aware that AOM is obsolete, but is what I have, at least it respects the phase data so I ask: someone can make the conversion from the wav with cab-lab and upload it?
Be sure to select the same lenght between the two too (Normal res= 1024 samples, high res= 2040).
Looking at the wav I don't see any energy beyond 20ms (1024 samples), so I think there's no benefit between normal, high or ultra resolution:
wav plot.JPG

I done this with my limited tools and knowledge, if I'm wrong I'll apollogize

Last edited:
Sorry, I have an old 2003 laptop that runs windows XP and cab-lab lite requires windows vista or newer, so i can't install this nice tool...Yeah, I'm aware that AOM is obsolete, but is what I have, at least it respects the phase data so I ask: someone can make the conversion from the wav with cab-lab and upload it?

Looking at the wav I don't see any energy beyond 20ms (1024 samples), so I think there's no benefit between normal, high or ultra resolution:
View attachment 35310

I done this with my limited tools and knowledge, if I'm wrong I'll apollogize
Here you go! MPT is min phase transformed, the other has the original phase, I noticed in cab-lab that there's a small difference between the two graphs.
Since the file is shorter than 20ms normal res is fine ;-)

Attachments

• Ola Hesu M160-rev1.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 13
  • Ola Hesu M160-rev1-MPT.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 14
@ETOLKIEN

Sorry to intrude here on such a noob level. Some of this stuff makes me think I am not qualified to go digital lol.

Anyhow in layman's terms. Does this difference here mean when he compared the AX8 vs Helix with his own Hesu IR, that the IR's were each different?

I am curious because during the whole entire video the AX8 wins wins wins. But when he used his own Hesu IR, to my ears the Helix blew away the AX8 and it has had me contemplating a little more of which unit to get because I love using seperate IR's and there are some great ones out there.

Makes it seem as if the Helix handles external IR's better. Knowing this would greatly help me in my quest.

Thank you,

@ETOLKIEN

Makes it seem as if the Helix handles external IR's better.

IR's are definitely an equalizer when comparing and show the huge effect that cabinets play on the preset. The two units are closer than many want to accept. No one will lose going with any of the options as the technology has jumped leaps and bounds from recent attempts. I have a Kemper, AX8 and Helix and none of them paid or sent me the units......unfortunately. I bought the Kemper when they first came out and have used it live for 4-5 years. I just recently (4 wks) bought the Helix and was skeptical because earlier in life I had the HD500 and wondered if they were just putting something out there to get into the next pay grade. I have been amazed at the resulting product. I had swapped a couple Helix profiles with @Deadpan on my Kemper and he with his AX8........he is unaware but that compelled me to buy my own AX8 to check things out for myself. I am skeptical of YouTube videos showing comparisons of products that don't make common adjustments to show all products in their zone. I am going into hibernation for the next few weeks and playing with the AX8 and comparing it to my tube amps. I really don't think any of the main products are worse or better at this stage. There are features within the product that will likely be the deciding factor for most if we are honest. I know that's more than 2 cents but that's my take on this topic.

@ETOLKIEN

Sorry to intrude here on such a noob level. Some of this stuff makes me think I am not qualified to go digital lol.

Anyhow in layman's terms. Does this difference here mean when he compared the AX8 vs Helix with his own Hesu IR, that the IR's were each different?

I am curious because during the whole entire video the AX8 wins wins wins. But when he used his own Hesu IR, to my ears the Helix blew away the AX8 and it has had me contemplating a little more of which unit to get because I love using seperate IR's and there are some great ones out there.

Makes it seem as if the Helix handles external IR's better. Knowing this would greatly help me in my quest.

Thank you,
Helix doesn't handle external IRs "better", considering that the ax8 supports ultrares it's quite the opposite indeed.
In this particular case the IR file for the ax8 probably got corrupted in the conversion process so it's a little handicap for the ax8 in that comparison, the corrupted IR almost totally lacks some frequencies (etolkien is right and it's not related to min phase transform, I verified it in cab-lab too)

EDIT: actually we don't know if the file that Ola used is corrupted too, there's the possibility it got corrupted only in the zip archive he shared, this can be verified only by him

Last edited:
Helix can use external IR's.

Yeah, I thought he meant to say "well" at the end of his sentence? Helix can't handle IR's well?

That is how I took it but either way his reply helped my question because of him mentioning the corrupt file and the AX8's ultrares. But now I have more questions lol.

Is it safe to say in Ola's video the Helix sounded better with his personal IR than the AX8 did? I know subjective but to my ears the AX8 won every time regarding sound apart from the external IR. Helix sounded much much better. (will call it a difference in sound for arguments sake)

So the file was corrupted, that makes sense BUT.....Was it corrupted on both? Will Helix still sound better to me for IR's or was the AX8 file corrupt and not the Helix hence the answer of the clear difference in sound.

Don't worry man is not rocket science...all is in the forums yeah!

We don't know, I'm sure Ola will appear and clarify, can be ( a bad wav to syx conversion ergo a bad syx file) or can not be (a bad upload of a correct SYX file).
I only say that the syx file that ola uploaded have some differences compared with the wav I found on the helix folder, but I don't know if he used this same SYX on the video or a correct one.
The procedure to introduce an IR in the helix is direct, you put the wav directly in the helix editor, I have had to search this because I'm not a line 6 lover, I confess:
http://line6.com/support/page/kb/_/effects-controllers/helix/impulse-response-irs-r759
Ax8 needs a wav to syx conversion and many things may have happened on the road: a bad button presed in cab-lab or a bad upload of the syx file...a bad upload would have sense too... too many variables

Makes it seem as if the Helix handles external IR's better.
I'm agree, Ola is my friend, I think he is honest, and his video is very well done, I'm agree with him that the most important part of the video, that more than 37000 persons have seen at this moment, is the custom IR moment. I don't think Ola is using a bad syx with bad intention, I repeat I don't even know if the syx file that he uploaded is the same that the syx that sounds in the video...at the end of the day I think it would been an accident, but not using the same IR would have some impact in the viewers opinion.
I confess you I am a Fractal guy but even in the rare case that helix would sounded better with the same exact IR I would do the same effort because a fair fight is a fair fight, no second intentions here.

IR's are definitely an equalizer when comparing and show the huge effect that cabinets play on the preset.
Mmmmhhh you can see the final result as an equalizer, but the Impulse inner process takes frequency and phase (time), the file have both data, the phase thing impacts in the resultant sound because there are some cancelation and interaction at critical frecuencies, Is complex but it works

The two units are closer than many want to accept.
It would be if Helix had 249 amps, Ultrares IR capability and many other things but If you take one amp and a 1024 samples IR things can go more close, I agree.

I am skeptical of YouTube videos showing comparisons of products that don't make common adjustments to show all products in their zone.

Well, I think acomplish that is very complex, too many parameters and variables, the youtube thing is an art. Ola were trusting his ears when did the presets, and it's the best way to go for not going crazy hahaha!

I am going into hibernation for the next few weeks and playing with the AX8 and comparing it to my tube amps.
Man, you will love it

I really don't think any of the main products are worse or better at this stage.
Time will tell...few weeks are more than enough

Helix can use external IR's.
A thing to consider is that Helix can use 2048 samples IRs (1024 in economy mode), and Ax8 can handle normal (1024, 20 ms) hi (2040, 40 ms) and ultra resolution (up to 8000 samples, 170 ms). Ultra res files have more detail on the low spectrum, but you can benefit of this only if the wav source file is long and have information beyond 40 ms.
The IR Ola used decays roughly at 19 ms, so there's no added benefit from superior resolutions, 1024 is fine with this short wav.
Would be nice a video with both devices at full Ir resolution capability: helix at 2048 and Ax8 at ultrares, but someone could argue that is not fair, at 2048 for both would be OK.

Is it safe to say in Ola's video the Helix sounded better with his personal IR than the AX8 did? I know subjective but to my ears the AX8 won every time regarding sound apart from the external IR. Helix sounded much much better. (will call it a difference in sound for arguments sake)
This is subjective, I'm agree, to my ears Ax8 clearly wins with stock cabs...with the custom IR Ax8 wins too but the gap is lesser, always In My Fractalized Opinion:D.

So the file was corrupted, that makes sense BUT.....Was it corrupted on both?
We don't know, only Ola can tell, but I dare to say that since the Helix process to load external IRs don't need a conversion (only the wav file direct to the editor) I asume that the Wav file that I found in the Helix folder is not corrupted. Other thing that points in that direction is that when I take the wav and make my own syx conversion the sound of the IR "takes sense" to me. But is posible that ola used a good syx and we are worrying for nothing

EDIT: actually we don't know if the file that Ola used is corrupted too, there's the possibility it got corrupted only in the zip archive he shared, this can be verified only by him
Spot on!

Last edited:
Mmmmhhh you can see the final result as an equalizer, but the Impulse inner process takes frequency and phase (time), the file have both data, the phase thing impacts in the resultant sound because there are some cancelation and interaction at critical frecuencies, Is complex but it works

Let me re-phrase this. Using the same IR's level the field for comparison as this variable is now common among the two units.

Back
Top Bottom