AX8 V5.01 Public Beta

J

joe rogers

EDIT: As of 4:35pm EDT there is a new download, we fixed a Synth bug.

The AX8 V5.01 Public Beta is now available for download. The beta contains all the Quantum V5.0 changes released on the Axe-Fx with a couple of small bug fixes that are not yet available on the Axe-Fx. Please be advised, this is a BETA RELEASE, and as such may contain unforeseen bugs. Please install at your own risk. As with all new firmware installations, we highly recommend you back up your AX8 using Fractal-Bot before installation.

AX8 V5.01 Public Beta

Release Notes:

AX8 V5.01 is a major enhancement release incorporating the Axe-Fx Quantum V5.01 changes. As this is a major release that effects both the AMP modeling and the DRIVE block. Please test as many amp models as possible as well as the different drive models in the DRIVE block.

Additions:
· Improved preamp tube modeling for tubes driving cathode followers. In models that use cathode followers this results in warmer distortion with smoother decay. The shape of the cathode follower distortion can be adjusted with the new “CF Hardness” parameter found on the Advanced tab in the Amp block.

· Added “Legato 100” amp model based on a certain famous Carvin Legacy 100.

· Added “Capt Hook” amp models based on a Hook Captain Classic 34. This amp uses a mu follower which yields a complex distortion with smooth decay. There are six models:

1. Capt Hook 1A: Channel 1 w/ EQ and Boost switches off.
2. Capt Hook 1B: Channel 1 w/ EQ and Boost switches on.
3. Capt Hook 2A: Channel 2 with Edge switch off.
4. Capt Hook 2B: Channel 2 with Edge switch on.
5. Capt Hook 3A: Channel 3 with Edge switch off.
6. Capt Hook 3B: Channel 3 with Edge switch on.​

· Improved diode clipping algorithms in Drive block. As a result the following Drive models have been rematched:

o Rat Dist
o Super OD
o T808 OD
o T808 MOD
o Plus Dist
o Esoteric ACB
o Esoteric RCB
o Zen Master
o Ruckus​

· Optimized the DRIVE block to improve run-time performance 1% - 2% (your mileage may vary).

· Fixed tone stack error in Recto 2 amp models.

· Changed Presence knob taper in Recto1 Norm and Recto2 Vntg models to match actual amps.

· Changed behavior of Amp block’s Preamp Comp when set to “Ideal” so that compression amount is roughly the same as when set to “Authentic”. If you are using the Ideal setting on a preset you may need to increase the Preamp Comp parameter value.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love how this version improved the CPU efficiency of DRIVE blocks. I've just built a preset with Wah, Phaser, TWO Drives, Amp, Ultra-Res Mono Cab, Delay, and High Quality Reverb and I still have some headroom to spare at 86%. The AX8 is specifically uncompromising when it comes to QUALITY, but I am definitely building some presets with plenty of QUANTITY these days :)

I love how this version improved the CPU efficiency of DRIVE blocks. I've just built a preset with Wah, Phaser, TWO Drives, Amp, Ultra-Res Mono Cab, Delay, and High Quality Reverb and I still have some headroom to spare at 86%. The AX8 is specifically uncompromising when it comes to QUALITY, but I am definitely building some presets with plenty of QUANTITY these days :)
I was moving too fast to verify it last night but I sure felt like I was stacking more in a preset than before! I ran out of IAs. Had to decide which block wouldn't have a dedicated IA switch. That's a good problem to have! :)

This is awesome to hear!

its getting redundant but yet another plateau is reached.........the mojo is deep in this one to be sure. And yes, the Hooks..........

Back
Top Bottom