AX8 FW 1.00 CPU Usage Chart

chris

Owner's Manual Reader
Hey guys,

I put together a chart that shows the CPU of every Block and effect Type in the AX8. Details are on my site:

http://axefxtutorials.com/2015/12/ax8-cpu-usage-of-all-blocks-types-fw-1-00/

fyi i still need to overhaul my site, so things are really hard to find, i know! the holiday season has been insane for my day job, so it's been tough to find time. soooooooooon!

some of you may have seen me working on this chart the other day on my personal Hitbox.tv channel, http://www.hitbox.tv/imchrisluke

i'm 99% sure i'm switching from Twitch to Hitbox for my live streams and have been testing it on that channel. the video delay for Hitbox is only 3-5 seconds compared to Twitch at 15-25, so interaction with everyone is much easier. my personal channel will be a casual place to hang out where i might do some work with FAS gear, play video games, etc. who knows!

i will save my AFT channel - http://www.hitbox.tv/axefxtutorials - for presentations and more "official" streams where i actually have a topic.

i'll update everyone with more specifics on that soon, but just a heads-up for now.

Last edited:
How many of each effect type is available? Ie: how many PEQ can you use simultaneously, how many delays? Etc.

I'm not asking how much the CPU can handle, I'm asking how many are available. I think the AFX2 has 4 PEQ available if I recall.

Very useful

I was thinking about the drive block that has x/y states. Since both are loaded at the same time, does that mean that, if I have the Rat Dist in the x-state and the Pi fuzz in the y-state, the CPU hit of the drive block will be 24%, or how does it work?

Very useful

I was thinking about the drive block that has x/y states. Since both are loaded at the same time, does that mean that, if I have the Rat Dist in the x-state and the Pi fuzz in the y-state, the CPU hit of the drive block will be 24%, or how does it work?

Not likely. The 12.5 CPU hit from the Rat is the default state of the block, where both X and Y are set to Rat. Unscientifically, you could subtract 6.25 from any of the other drive numbers for their X number, as Y would have stayed as Rat (we can assume Chris was switching types on X only).

In theory, the CPU-heaviest X/Y combo in the drive block would be the Zen Master / BB Pre, which should be about 18.9 when all other settings are at default.

I'm probably wrong, as the X/Y states probably don't split the usage down the middle (since only one is active), but it's a theory for Chris/someone to test.

Very useful

Both aren't loaded at the same time.

Very useful

I would assume that is you are going to be using X/Y states the block will take up whatever the greater of the states is. So if you have Microboost as X and Eternal Love as Y (both at default states), the block will take up 14.7% CPU. So if you want to make sure you can switch blocks willy-nilly, you need to base your calculations on whichever state takes the most CPU. Otherwise, you might switch a Drive or (as I have experienced) Amp state and get a message that your reverb is getting deactivated.
-
Austin

when a Block is on the X state, it uses that much CPU.

when a Block is on the Y state, it switches to using that much CPU.

when a Block is on the X state, it uses that much CPU.

when a Block is on the Y state, it switches to using that much CPU.

That's interesting, since some folks were saying that lowering the Y state settings on the reverb block could bring the overall CPU usage down (even when on the X state). I'm just quoting what I've read; I'll be speculating a lot less once mine is in hand (or on floor, rather)!

Hmm well I haven't specifically checked that in a while perhaps I'm wrong. I'll check later today.

Obviously, I was also under the impression that both states take CPU power all the time. Let us know, what you find.

ok i confirmed it is how i originally described.

i had a Reverb block set to Normal quality with Echo Density on 2 on X - 29%
i made the Y state High quality with Echo Density on 8 - 41%

when on the X state it was 29%
when on the Y state it was 41%

it does not sum the 2, it does not split the difference or take an average.

after that, i changed the Y state to Spring reverb and it dropped to 21%, then switching to X was still 29% as it always was.

(note that the % values i just gave were with a full row of shunts, etc. it wasn't JUST the block's addition like the chart on my site.)

Exactly, the X and Y sets are separate identities and the CPU load depends on which is active, always has been like this.

Back
Top Bottom