AX8 - External switch reverb X/Y toggle does not work

RossE

Inspired
I'm trying to setup an external momentary switch to toggle x/y on a reverb block on my AX8. My switch is fine and my configuration is correct because the same switch set up the same exact way toggles reverb bypass exactly as expected. I tried setting it up with the switch connected to Pedal 1 and 2, same result. I tried this with the PRESS/HOLD FOR X/Y parameter set to both ENABLE and DISABLE. Same results. Either I have some other setting that is defeating the x/y toggle function or I found a bug.

Please help. I need this to work by Monday.

If using Pedal 1, make sure that EXT CTRL 1 (External Controller #1) is set to NONE rather than the default of PEDAL 1. Each pedal can only have one global assignment. The manual doesn't specify this.

Have you tried XY toggle on other blocks with your switch?

I have a Mission SP1 in Pedal Jack 1...works perfectly. I've been trying this with Pedal Jacks 2 and 4. I've tried them with the External 2/4 settings at None and Pedal 2 or 4 respectively. I just tried it on a Drive block and same thing. So it is not specific to the Reverb block, appears to be a problem with any x/y capable block type.

With my external switch connected to Pedal Jack 2 or 4 and set to momentary. When I calibrate the switch, it toggles the sweep 0 to 100 on each press, just as it should, so my switch hw looks fine.

With my external switch connected to Pedal Jack 2 or 4 and set to momentary. When I calibrate the switch, it toggles the sweep 0 to 100 on each press, just as it should, so my switch hw looks fine.

My biggest question is why do you have this as an external switch, why not just use the global defaults for PRESS HOLD X/Y Switching on your assigned Reverb block footswitch natively on device?

Which brings up my question: were there any mods done to the global parameters to disable said feature that you are trying to achieve? My personal approach is to use the AX8 as close to out of the box as possible. I use this feature a lot and the native X/Y press hold function works very well IME. Hope the question gets you a hint closer...

The EXT CTRL 1-4 have nothing to do with the 4 pedal jacks. By default, they are assigned to the 4 pedal jacks, but you can assign them to CCs or to nothing. The EXT CTRL 1-12 are specifically for attaching modifiers to block parameters, and they'll take priority over other global assignments of the pedal jacks.

Make sure that nothing in the IO->CTRL list is assigned to PEDAL 2 or 4, except for the one XY effect you are trying to toggle.

Can you confirm that you're able to assign Reverb XY toggle to PEDAL 1 (your Mission switch) and that works?

Last edited:
My biggest question is why do you have this as an external switch, why not just use the global defaults for PRESS HOLD X/Y Switching on your assigned Reverb block footswitch natively on device?

Which brings up my question: were there any mods done to the global parameters to disable said feature that you are trying to achieve? My personal approach is to use the AX8 as close to out of the box as possible. I use this feature a lot and the native X/Y press hold function works very well IME. Hope the question gets you a hint closer...

I want to run with PRESS/HOLD FOR X/Y parameter set to DISABLE to reduce the lag time between preset changes. Just recently tried this and with my less than athletic toe tapping it makes a significant difference. For global parameter changes, the only ones I have made are this one and Large Display name = always.

The EXT CTRL 1-4 have nothing to do with the 4 pedal jacks. By default, they are assigned to the 4 pedal jacks, but you can assign them to CCs or to nothing. The EXT CTRL 1-4 are specifically for attaching modifiers to block parameters, and they'll take priority over other global assignments of the pedal jacks.

Make sure that nothing in the IO->CTRL list is assigned to PEDAL 2 or 4, except for the one XY effect you are trying to toggle.

Can you confirm that you're able to assign Reverb XY toggle to PEDAL 1 (your Mission switch) and that works?

Yes I understand your points about Ext Ctrl 1-4. I've tried them set to None and the target Pedal #, results are the same either way. I have also checked that there are no conflicting occurrences of Pedal 2 or 4 in the IO->CTRL list. I have not tried Reverb x/y toggle with my Mission pedal....good idea, I will do that thanks.

Mission pedal will not toggle x/y either. Wonder if my last firmware load could have been flaky. I doubt it, but may be worth a reload to see.

Has anyone out there actually succeeded in doing this.....set up an external switch to toggle x/y on a block?

UPDATE: This is not a bug. Set your pedal configuration to "LATCHING" instead of "CONTINUOUS". Working as designed.

SETUP->IO->PEDALS

Back
Top Bottom