AX8-Edit Issue

mferrand

Inspired
Hey All,

I hope this is the right forum for this. When I start up Ax8-Edit I get a message that it is 'Reading Block Definitions'. This takes about two minutes. When it is finished I get two error messages. One says Errors were encountered reading Block Library entries. When I read the error log, most of these blocks don't exist! The second error says 'Unable to create default directory'... The root directory does not even exist. I have tried completely uninstalling the editor, deleting the directors and reinstalling but I get the same error message.

P.S. - I ignore these errors and everything works fine, just irritating.

Cheers, Mike

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 41
Glad you can just ignore them. I am getting AX8 error messages too after updating to the 7.02 AX8 beta firmware. Mine is a communication timeout, and AX8 Edit does not work properly after that. I saw in another thread that using a USB cable shorter than 3' can solve my problem. Going to test after I pick one up.

I would see if you can create the directory that the editor is complaining about. It sounds like a problem with permissions.

The only time I see the 'Reading Block Definitions' is after doing a firmware update or installing a new version of Edit. I don't know why you'd be seeing it every time you launch Edit.

I've run into the first error message after downloading some presets or preset packages. If the preset isn't specifically created for the AX8, you will typically get this error since other Fractal units have additional effect blocks. If you create a new folder and put these other presets in it you won't get this message.

For your second error message, presuming you're using a version of Windows, go into the C:\Users\Michael K Ferrand\AppData and right click on the folder. Click on 'Properties' (bottom of menu), select the 'Security' tab and look in the 'Permissions for SYSTEM' and see if any have 'Deny' checked (all of mine are checked 'Allow'). If any are set to 'Deny', you can click on 'Edit' and select 'Allow' if you want to change them.. I'm not a computer whiz so I'm not sure what options you'll have and I can't guarantee making any changes won't affect other programs so do some research or get other more qualified advice if you have any doubts.

Sonofiam,

so, to make it stranger, there is no directory called 'C:\Users\Michael K Ferrand\AppData'

Don't think you can SEE that directory unless you unhide folders. In win 7 & 8 anyway.

In Windows explorer (any open folder, it's in View\options.

Also need to run as admin (A8 edit), but you probably know that.

Can you just go into Settings-Preferences and to Workspaces and point the Blocks and Preset path to whereever you want? Like for example, just create a "Blocks" folder and "Presets" folder on your desktop and then use the browse buttons in Workspaces to point to them? I think that might work.

Or maybe that's just for user Blocks/Presets...not 100% sure.

Using Windows 10.

I've tried moving the Blocks / Presets but it always comes up with that non-existent directory. I should explain that around the first of the year I had my computer rebuilt. They put a new hard drive in and transferred some of my programs over. Ax8-Edit keeps looking for the old directory. I'm thinking it must be in the system registry somewhere.

I should explain that around the first of the year I had my computer rebuilt. They put a new hard drive in and transferred some of my programs over. Ax8-Edit keeps looking for the old directory. I'm thinking it must be in the system registry somewhere.
The quick-and-dirty method: unisntall AX8-Edit, delete all the files in the directory where the program resides, then reinstall.

Hey All,

Solved it thanks to Sonofiam. My 'Appdata' directory was hidden. I deleted it along with all the other Fractal files and re-installed it. Everything works as it should now. Thanks to all !

Cheers, Mike

Hey All,

Solved it thanks to Sonofiam. My 'Appdata' directory was hidden. I deleted it along with all the other Fractal files and re-installed it. Everything works as it should now. Thanks to all !

Cheers, Mike

I did try to tell you about the hidden folder Monday. More importantly, glad it's done.

Hi what would that folder be on a Mac?

Looks like these should do it:

/Applications/AX8-Edit.app/
~/Documents/Fractal\ Audio/AX8-Edit (I'd back this up since it contains block libraries, etc).
~/Library/Application\ Support/Fractal\ Audio/AX8-Edit
~/Library/Preferences/com.FractalAudio.AX8Edit.plist
~/Library/Caches/com.FractalAudio.AX8Edit
~ : is your Home Directory (/Users/<your userid>) if you aren't familiar with the command line
~/Library : is typically hidden in the finder. In Finder, just go to the Go Menu->Go To Folder-> ~/Library.

thanks very much for this.only had the AX8 for a day and since upgrading to 7.0.2 the AX edit won't work. Download some fremen presets as well but not all of them have copied across. Might just revert to the original firmware and use the original presets. Got a a gig Saturday!!
Looks like these should do it:

/Applications/AX8-Edit.app/
~/Documents/Fractal\ Audio/AX8-Edit (I'd back this up since it contains block libraries, etc).
~/Library/Application\ Support/Fractal\ Audio/AX8-Edit
~/Library/Preferences/com.FractalAudio.AX8Edit.plist
~/Library/Caches/com.FractalAudio.AX8Edit
~ : is your Home Directory (/Users/<your userid>) if you aren't familiar with the command line
~/Library : is typically hidden in the finder. In Finder, just go to the Go Menu->Go To Folder-> ~/Library.
ks very much for this

Hallo,
I have to bring this old one up again.
After Windows 10 has changed my Username from XY to XY.000 everytime I start AX8-Edit I have wait until all effect definitions are updated. In the end the message appears:
"Unable to create default directory: C:\Users\XY\AppData..."
AX8-Edit still tries to find the old username directory, although the user and the directory is not existing any longer.
I tried:
  • new installing of AX8-Edit (after uninstalling and deleting all files and directories of AX8-Edit on drive C: )
  • starting with the "clean function" suggested by iaresee for AXE using:
rm -rf ~/Library/Application\ Support/Fractal\ Audio

But nothing changed.

When I try to backup the system settings via Fractal-Bot I receive an error message (paraphrasing): "The syntax for the filename, directoryname or drivename is wrong."

Anybody out there who can help me teaching AX8-Edit that the default-user directory has changed?
Thanks.
Best regards.
Flywheel.

Hi not that this helps but I have recently sold my AX8 and got an HX Stomp. Can’t tell any difference in sound and the user interface is so much better.
Just in case you were thinking about it 👍

Back
Top Bottom