AX8 Board layout

I had originally planned on going that way but some thoughts were brought up that made sense. 1 A forgotten power cable with a powercon end would put a big damper on a gig and having it kicked out while playing, although is a pisser would be a minor issue and could be plugged back in and able to keep going. Not as trick I agree but after thinking about it it made sense and computer cords are a dime a dozen and it was a lot less expensive. I could change it if I wanted to so it's still an option if the IEC type doesn't do the trick.

I was also looking at a power supply VooDoo labs PP2 that would afford me power for the wireless and give me a single OL to power other things if i needed to but I weighed the options and look at space under the board which there isn't that much so I opted for the $7 power strip and lopped off the cord and soldered it to the IEC connector. The power supply for the Shure wireless has some forethought small low profile and not a huge ugly wall wart thing so I ran with it.
did not notice that at first. Love it!

You do beautiful work man :)

I am always very concerned with fluids getting spilled during concerts, which is why, I always preferred the PedalTrain type of boards, where fluids can disappear below (into the electrical wiring). Obviously, you will not have this here. But, I seem to remember that you plan to fixate the Ax8 to the board by removing the rubber feet and replace the feet screws with some that go through the board. Maybe, you could leave the feet in place and still attach the Ax8 with longer screws through the board. That would leave the Ax8 1/4" elevated above the board, and it would never be soaked in fluids. Just a thought?

Is it really that much of a problem? I mean, it would take a lot of beer to soak the unit so much in the bottom, that it would get inside, and even if that happened, I highly doubt that the electronics inside are touching the bottom of the chassis. I would worry more about fluids coming from the top, soaking the display and buttons, and the only solution to that would be to cover the unit with something.

You do beautiful work man :)

I am always very concerned with fluids getting spilled during concerts, which is why, I always preferred the PedalTrain type of boards, where fluids can disappear below (into the electrical wiring). Obviously, you will not have this here. But, I seem to remember that you plan to fixate the Ax8 to the board by removing the rubber feet and replace the feet screws with some that go through the board. Maybe, you could leave the feet in place and still attach the Ax8 with longer screws through the board. That would leave the Ax8 1/4" elevated above the board, and it would never be soaked in fluids. Just a thought?

I actually was going to leave the rubber feet on and use longer screws. When I gig I usually don't do the kind of gigs where I have to worry about spilling liquids and if I did I would just cover the entire board with a plastic bag easy enough and a cheap and temporary fix to that problem.

OK, thanks - it shouldn't really be necessary to use TRS. Ground and a hot signal is enough to determine the resistance value of the potmeter in the pedal (send a current source thru and measure the voltage). A volume pedal needs both an input and an output, and that is probably why it has been chosen to do it the same way for dedicated expression pedals.

Just thought I would throw this out here... Did a little reading on the manual and it states (page 19) (for expression pedals) it does require the use of a TRS connection.

"Expression pedals require TRS cables because full control voltage is transmitted to them on one contact (the tip), while less than full voltage is returned to on another (the ring) so the host device is able to sense and utilize the pedal position. The third contact (sleeve) is connected to ground"

"Footswitches are less versatile, but sometimes all you need is an on-off stomp. Any type of external switch may be used—momentary or latching—as long as its contacts make and break the connection between tip and sleeve on a regular 1/4" guitar cable. You do not need a TRS cable for a footswitch. Calibration is not necessary, but you do need to set the TYPE:"

I would love to just screw everything into a board instead of velcro but just feel like there is to many holes that need to be perfectly lined up

I hope you don't feel I am hijacking your thread, but as our setups will be almost identical, it feels weird to start a new thread.

I just played my first gig with the Shure GLX-D16 yesterday (still tube-amp and pedals :( ). The tuner actually works well enough, I would say, it is every bit as good as my old Korg PitchBlack. But having played with the TC Polytune the last few years, I must admit that I can no longer live without the polytune experience. Even if the Ax8 tuner is better than the Shure, it still does not polytune, so I think, I will need to make room on my board for a TC PolyTune 2.

I had to take the polytune off my board to make room for the wireless. Next gig (which will probably also be without Ax8), I will remove my vibe pedal (that I hardly ever use) and have room for both wireless and TC Polytune 2.

I hope you don't feel I am hijacking your thread, but as our setups will be almost identical, it feels weird to start a new thread.

I just played my first gig with the Shure GLX-D16 yesterday (still tube-amp and pedals :( ). The tuner actually works well enough, I would say, it is every bit as good as my old Korg PitchBlack. But having played with the TC Polytune the last few years, I must admit that I can no longer live without the polytune experience. Even if the Ax8 tuner is better than the Shure, it still does not polytune, so I think, I will need to make room on my board for a TC PolyTune 2.

I had to take the polytune off my board to make room for the wireless. Next gig (which will probably also be without Ax8), I will remove my vibe pedal (that I hardly ever use) and have room for both wireless and TC Polytune 2.
Why not get the polytune clip tuner?

I have that as well (when I was really mad, I had two PT1s, one PT2, and one PT clip, now I sold the PT1s). I love using the clip at home, but for live use, I would be afraid of it dropping off the guitar, and I would have to move it around when switching guitars (or I would have to have more than one). Also, it does not really look cool (which is important :) ).

I would make a spot on your board for it end of story! Just because you have other pedals on the board that do double duty doesn't mean you have to use them. ;)

Best looking AX8 board I've seen so far. Clean and neat. Nice work!

The only thing that I would have done is to turn that two button switch horizontally, leaving more access to each switch and the Shure wireless.

Well done - What kind of plug do you have in mind for the expression pedal? I don't think there's any kind of George L type plugs that do TRS.

Thank's all for the complements ! it means a lot to me as I have put a lot of time and thought to make it look really nice and be functional at the same time.

@ pima1234 I'm still kicking this around. I really can't add any more switches once the db Instruments 4E is placed as it will take up 2 aux ports and the T1M will take up the other two.

@ Smitterfar I have a little trick up my sleeve for that but I need to make sure it will work first before I spill the beans ;)

Back
Top Bottom