Automating patch changes from DAW

slimegod

Hi, tried a few searches and didn't come up with anything, also didn't find anything in Yek's how-to or the wiki...may just not have been using the right search terms, not sure. I remember a while back watching a guy's video on the forum...I think he was playing an Eagles tune (might have been Hotel California) or something, and he had a bunch of different harmonizers set up. But he wasn't doing patch changes himself--as his backing track played in his DAW, he had the patches changing automatically via MIDI. This is something I'm really interested in learning to set up, but not sure where to start. Anyone know of a FAQ including that topic? I've got a basic understanding of MIDI, but could use some help figuring out how to do this.

Thanks.

Right. It really depends on your DAW. Which one do you use?

Also, if you want to do this in a live setting, there's a rackmount unit that plays backing tracks and sends perfectly sync'ed midi messages.

FAMC, Inc.

Can't recommend that unit highly enough.

The gist is, you would have one or more audio tracks - say a simple stereo backing track - set up in your DAW. You'd add a MIDI track, output through your soundcard or other hardware's MIDI Out to the Axe MIDI In. Set the MIDI channel the same, and add PC or CC events where you need them. You don't have to have the MIDI track beat sync'd to the audio. You can also record the MIDI events in real time, say a wah or pitch shift, by using your MIDI controller connected to DAW MIDI IN.

Thanks, all.

I use Sonar. I only would need the backing tracks when I practice on my own. For gigging, I just want to have a click track, plus automation of patch changes, volume changes, etc. and any samples that I may use. I'll take a look at these videos and hopefully that'll get me going.

Thanks again!

Correct. It was Mark. Using Logic though. If I remember correctly he even did a small tutorial. Have a look at SamHillband channel on YouTube to find the Eagles vid.

That piece of gear I linked to is awesome cause you can output backing track and a separate click track, as well as automated midi messages (all your preset changes and anything else you can think of) all in one rack space, and no computer. For $600 that's pretty awesome. Up until this, I was bringing my computer, sound card etc. to every gig, which was a huge liability both in terms of breaking stuff as well as something possibly going wrong.

I'll have to check this out. I use PT 9 and would LOVE to get into this.

I'm a high gain djent djent meedley meedely meedely type player...

Sent from my iPod.

I have just done this in PT8, very easy.
* make a midi track
* set your I/O on the track
* select where you want it to change on the track
* Go into Midi event list, and set it to what preset you want

works on my ultra and axe2!

What do I set the I/O to? How would I do CC changes? This is all new to me so I apologize if these are noobie questions.

Sent from my iPod.

What do I set the I/O to? How would I do CC changes? This is all new to me so I apologize if these are noobie questions.

Sent from my iPod.

In the mixer window there is a I/O "in/out" tab, select your midi device
and in the "Midi event list" window, you can set the events to the number your patch has.
hope this help

How would I do CC changes? This is all new to me so I apologize if these are noobie questions.
You 'create' a new Control Change or Program Change command in the Event List / Window and place it wherever in the sequence / track you need it
thumbsup.gif

Program Changes are very straight forward - simply used to change patches. Control Changes are rather different and very useful
yessmiley.gif
Whilst I admit that I haven't actually looked, I'm sure there'll be a MIDI Implementation chart for the Ultra somewhere showing you which Control Change (0-127) corresponds to which parameter in the Ultra :)

In the mixer window there is a I/O "in/out" tab, select your midi device
and in the "Midi event list" window, you can set the events to the number your patch has.
hope this help

My MIDI device would be my Axe II. Do I have to add this under MIDI devices or something?

Sent from my iPod.

You 'create' a new Control Change or Program Change command in the Event List / Window and place it wherever in the sequence / track you need it
thumbsup.gif

Program Changes are very straight forward - simply used to change patches. Control Changes are rather different and very useful
yessmiley.gif
Whilst I admit that I haven't actually looked, I'm sure there'll be a MIDI Implementation chart for the Ultra somewhere showing you which Control Change (0-127) corresponds to which parameter in the Ultra :)

First off I'm actually using the II now. Secondly I already know the MIDI implementation of the II. I would also like to what CC mapping is for PT. Can I also control the transport say with my LFP? Is there a MIDI implementation chart for PT? So in my MIDI track I can tell CC#28 to start recording the looper at bar 16 and start playing at bar 33 by sending CC#29?

Sent from my iPod.

Ahh... ok, I think there may be some crossed wires here...
unsure.gif

To clarify - you're hoping to use your II and footboard to control Cubase, not the other way around, yes..?

If so, then I have to confess that I've not used Cubase for donkeys years, but I do know that in Logic Pro, you can set up 'Key Commands' to respond to whatever MIDI signals you wish to send... so in that sense, the last two examples you gave would indeed be entirely possible
yessmiley.gif

My MIDI device would be my Axe II. Do I have to add this under MIDI devices or something?
Assuming (as I don't know) that the USB capabilities of the II now enable it to connect directly to a DAW as a MIDI device without needing a MIDI interface in between, then yes, you need to find that in the list of I/O devices within your DAW

Sent from my iPod.

Select your axe2 here
midi.jpg

In the Midi Event list make a program change!
On the first program change, it choose preset 178 in Bank B "128+50=178"
next preset 58 on Bank A......and so on
remember to change display offset on the axe2 to 1, so it matches the numbers in PT.
program change.jpg

this was just a quick step guide

Awesome, thanx for the pics too!!! That really helped. I'll try that later tonight. What do I do for CC changes? Also, do you have a PT 9 MIDI Implementation sheet? I want to setup my LFP to control PT's transport. Is this possible?

Select your axe2 here
View attachment 8457

In the Midi Event list make a program change!
On the first program change, it choose preset 178 in Bank B "128+50=178"
next preset 58 on Bank A......and so on
remember to change display offset on the axe2 to 1, so it matches the numbers in PT.
View attachment 8458

this was just a quick step guide

Back
Top Bottom