Auto Engage Smoothness

Is 1m possibly better for other things ie. for every patch or just wah patches? all opinions of course.

i'd be interested to know this as well. i have a ton of presets with wha as the first block, but i haven't ried switching to 1M yet....just interested to know in what way it sounds better... :)

Just to be clear, changing to 1M didn't make my preset sound better, but it engaging the wah sounds better with it.

Hmm. Didn't seem to make any difference in my patches. Tried w/ both wah and pitch (whammy) and still get the same pop. Realistically, you don't hear it playing live anyway, just when I'm in the studio.

I'll try it again after 7.0 drops.

Just to be clear, changing to 1M didn't make my preset sound better, but it engaging the wah sounds better with it.

... like my wah's since friday ;-)

But I think for presets without amps (synth, violine eg) it's better "auto"-setting for input z.

I've been experimenting tonight with the auto engage function. I have one of my expression pedals setup up as 'External 1' and attached to the 'Drive' block, the 'GEQ' block, and the 'Delay' block. I've got the auto engage setting set to 'slow position' in the hopes that it would be a little smoother. I've got the 'Off Value set to the default of 5% and I've set the 'Input Z' to '1M' as suggested earlier in this thread. Nevertheless, I still hear a pretty abrupt change when I depress the expression pedal and the auto engage kicks in. It's not that big of a deal, but if I could get it more transparent I'd prefer it.​ Any suggestions? I've attached the preset if anyone cares to take a look.
attachment.php

Attachments

• 1959 SLP.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 111
i'm confused by that preset. why are you using auto engage on parameters that have continuous control (like the drive level)? it's all wrong...you don't need to use it on the drive or the geq...

i'm confused by that preset. why are you using auto engage on parameters that have continuous control (like the drive level)? it's all wrong...you don't need to use it on the drive or the geq...
My idea was to transition from a rhythm crunch tone to a lead tone via an expression pedal. The drive level on the drive block increases the gain and the GEQ adds about 3db of boost along with a slight lift in the mids. I've seen seen several other Axe FX users set it up for the same purpose, i.e. Scott Peterson.

yes, i understand that, but i have no idea why you've used auto engage on those two blocks. auto engage is used to bypass blocks, but both of those blocks need to remain on all the time the way you have them set up

yes, i understand that, but i have no idea why you've used auto engage on those two blocks. auto engage is used to bypass blocks, but both of those blocks need to remain on all the time the way you have them set up

If I may interject...

I use this approach for 'morphing' between rhythm and lead versions on the same preset / scene. I say 'morphing' because it's not done in the same way that clarky does with a 'crossfade' between two different amps for example

I have a driveblock in place with drive and settings level settings set so that they engage with as little bump as realistically possible when the expression pedal is eased forward - there will be a bump of course as it's being switched in, but the trick lies in adjusting the drive and level parameters so that the impact it's minimised as far as possible when the pedal starts its travel.

Having the drive block constantly engaged (even with drive rolled back etc) would still directly influence the rhythm tone too much - hence the auto-engage bringing it in only when required for lead stuff
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom