Wish Auto-Doubler Overdub Track for Looper

bleujazz3

Fractal Fanatic
Might be a nice complement already for a great product. Sometimes, when we record a guitar part, we'd like it to re-record the same part with a several ms delay for a doubled effect. Rather than play the same part twice and overdub, would like if it were possible to double the same track twice, with the slight delay, with either a control switch or dedicated effect footswitch within the looper.

Currently, there isn't a way to include an effect block and configure it within the looper layout. System isn't designed as such yet.

Last edited:
Might be a nice complement already for a great product. Sometimes, when we record a guitar part, we'd like it to re-record the same part with a several ms delay for a doubled effect. Rather than play the same part twice and overdub, would like if it were possible to double the same track twice, with the slight delay, with either a control switch or dedicated effect footswitch within the looper.
There are already wishes for a doubler / double-tracker effect.

If you want a simple double take with a small delay, just use a Delay block and set Mix to 50%.

I don't think this would be something added "within" the Looper block.
Currently, there isn't a way to include an effect block and configure it within the looper layout. System isn't designed as such yet.
The Looper layout, like all layouts, is 100% configurable by you.

My Looper layout has switches for changing some scenes and effects.

The Looper layout, like all layouts, is 100% configurable by you.

My Looper layout has switches for changing some scenes and effects.
Care to share a SS of your looper layout? Would like to see how you were able to configure scenes and effect changes...

What my wish was about was to include a control so you could create a doubled recorded track. If the delayed 50% effect will provide that, that's what is needed...

Care to share a SS of your looper layout? Would like to see how you were able to configure scenes and effect changes...

What my wish was about was to include a control so you could create a doubled recorded track. If the delayed 50% effect will provide that, that's what is needed...
Thinking about it more, you could also just stick a Classic type Enhancer block in there... Search for "double tracker" or "ADT" - there's been a number of discussions on achieving that effect.

When I'm in front of unit I'll try to remember to capture a screenshot of the layout.

Thinking about it more, you could also just stick a Classic type Enhancer block in there... Search for "double tracker" or "ADT" - there's been a number of discussions on achieving that effect.

When I'm in front of unit I'll try to remember to capture a screenshot of the layout.
Had thought to try, but didn't know how to configure an effect within the Looper layout. There isn't an effect block that appears within the layout, just the tap/hold function. Unless I'm not looking at the FM9 itself, maybe that's where I can see the effect switch...? Would one need to configure an effects block from the front panel in this case, or could it be done within FM9-Edit?

Did spot @GlennO's Doubler.syx within a ADT search. (See 'Doubler vs. Enhancer' post). That might work, but I'd need to know if that is something that could be added from my effects library to my looper layout.

Last edited:
Here's a tip from Reverb. If you have an FM9, then you could do this to a T. You could do it with the FM3, just not as impressively as using the two amps. Note you'll want the delay for the doubled track in front of the amp.

DIY Double Tracking​

Because Automatic Double Tracking is primarily a delay-based effect, it's fairly easy to recreate the sound using pedals you probably already have on your board running into some kind of a stereo setup...First you'll need a delay pedal that can be set for a very short delay time (experiment with settings between 10 and roughly 50 milliseconds) and a single repeat. Ideally you would split your signal between two amps and put the delay, set to 100 wet, in front of one of the amps such that it will receive only the delayed signal. This will get you pretty close to the goal, but adding some kind of detuning or modulation effect like vibrato or subtle flanging on the delayed signal will get you even closer. This setup can really take your places, so experiment and get wild.

Had thought to try, but didn't know how to configure an effect within the Looper layout. There isn't an effect block that appears within the layout, just the tap/hold function. Unless I'm not looking at the FM9 itself, maybe that's where I can see the effect switch...? Would one need to configure an effects block from the front panel in this case, or could it be done within FM9-Edit?

Did spot @GlennO's Doubler.syx within a ADT search. (See 'Doubler vs. Enhancer' post). That might work, but I'd need to know if that is something that could be added from my effects library to my looper layout.
Any switch can have any function.

Just select the switch you want to edit and select the Effect type.

The Looper layout isn't "special". Just like all layouts, it's completely changeable to your needs. Edit the switches for what you want.

Any switch can have any function.

Just select the switch you want to edit and select the Effect type.

The Looper layout isn't "special". Just like all layouts, it's completely changeable to your needs. Edit the switches for what you want.
Regards "Doubler," am bumping into several things that are preventing from adding a singular effect...apparently, the researched ADT / doubler effect is built of an .syx preset, not a block...which presents some problems with adding just an effect...may need to simply try a pitch block with panned L/R's perhaps with some pitch detune and slight offset ms delay...

Last edited:
Am still not understanding how to add an effect block that doesn't appear within the FM9-Edit screen itself. Sure, you can set it to tap or hold within the looper layout, but where are the effect block parameters within the looper layout? Can see the effect on the FM9, just not there within FM9-Edit where I'd need to tweak parameters...unless I need to switch to a separate screen?

I think this might work...have got several presets that include a dual chromatic pitch block with slight detune and slap back delay (10 & 30 ms). have included a pitch block in my looper, named DOUBLER...my question is:

If one switches from a designated preset to your looper layout, will the desired effect located within the same preset work within the looper layout? And, can one switch between scenes within the same preset and switch back to your looper layout and use the looper functions?

This is something new to me, so don't be surprised because I've not learned of this yet...this is the 1st time I've personally tried using my looper layout...so thanks in advance for not thinking this a bonehead question...

You're making it more complicated than it is.

The Looper layout is a default layout for controlling a Looper block in your presets.

The Looper is just a block in your preset. There are no other blocks within a Looper.

All you are doing is controlling blocks within your preset, including the Looper block.

If you want to control other blocks from the Looper layout, set up switches to do that.

Those controls can be global or can be per preset overrides.

Here's a tip from Reverb. If you have an FM9, then you could do this to a T. You could do it with the FM3, just not as impressively as using the two amps. Note you'll want the delay for the doubled track in front of the amp.

DIY Double Tracking​

Because Automatic Double Tracking is primarily a delay-based effect, it's fairly easy to recreate the sound using pedals you probably already have on your board running into some kind of a stereo setup...First you'll need a delay pedal that can be set for a very short delay time (experiment with settings between 10 and roughly 50 milliseconds) and a single repeat. Ideally you would split your signal between two amps and put the delay, set to 100 wet, in front of one of the amps such that it will receive only the delayed signal. This will get you pretty close to the goal, but adding some kind of detuning or modulation effect like vibrato or subtle flanging on the delayed signal will get you even closer. This setup can really take your places, so experiment and get wild.
So if I understand this correctly, you're saying to put a mono delay in front of one of the dual amps and set it for a slight 10-50ms delay. That works great for standard presets, my hope was to include similar delay in my looper layout, so when you build a track, you can add a layered double track as you build...I'd guess you could effectively retain the delay within the preset and bypass/toggle on/off as needs be...

You're making it more complicated than it is.

The Looper layout is a default layout for controlling a Looper block in your presets.

The Looper is just a block in your preset. There are no other blocks within a Looper.

All you are doing is controlling blocks within your preset, including the Looper block.

If you want to control other blocks from the Looper layout, set up switches to do that.

Those controls can be global or can be per preset overrides.
Holy cow. I had previously thought the looper block was a separate entity from the looper layout...(which it is, but didn't know that the looper layout controlled the looper block). Understood now. Just add a looper block to my select presets that I'd use for double tracking. No added changes needed for the looper layout; can be done within the preset...

Have re-worked my Grissom1 and 'EJ' presets which utilize dual amps...these now include a mono delay w/ 30ms delay placed in front of one of the dual amps. Instead of using chorus after the amps (which affects both amps), the mono 30ms delay affects only one amp, and will provide a mild doubler effect for these presets.

Will be offline awhile until this evening. Will check back in and report my findings regards these presets.

So if I understand this correctly, you're saying to put a mono delay in front of one of the dual amps and set it for a slight 10-50ms delay. That works great for standard presets, my hope was to include similar delay in my looper layout, so when you build a track, you can add a layered double track as you build...I'd guess you could effectively retain the delay within the preset and bypass/toggle on/off as needs be...
Exactly. You'll have a parallel signal chain, sort of like playing two guitars at once, then just have them meet up at the looper.

Exactly. You'll have a parallel signal chain, sort of like playing two guitars at once, then just have them meet up at the looper.
Or, use two amps, one signal path parallel with the delay, then utilize the same cab and modulation effects post-amp, and the looper before output. Thx.

What wasn't clear was that the looper layout controls the looper block. (Duh. Hadn't read about the looper at all, thinking I'd seldom if ever bother with it.). Sometimes it helps to pay attention in CC's class...(not there yet regards my personal study)...

Back
Top Bottom