Audit interface questions

rosleck

Good Morning,

I was hoping for a little advise on guitar audio interfaces. Since 2008 I have been using a line 6 tone port DI (main) and a tone port UX2 (backup) as my interface. When I added My Axe to the mix last year I just ran a cable from the headphone jack to the tone port line in so I would not have to mess with the drivers. Why mess whit what is working?

1 month ago the DI died and last week the UX2 followed suit. I checked with Line 6 about repair and was told I would most likely have to buy a new replacements. I spent some time last weekend trying to use the Axe as the interface and I got all of the drivers in place but I couldn’t get past audio drop outs in Sonar and I could not hear the guitar thru the PC. Outside of Sonar I lost all sounds on the PC. I unhooked the Axe and managed to get the PC working on the built in sound card again. This issue is most likely me as I got frustrated quickly and gave up. I will be giving it another shot this weekend.

My question is if I can get the Axe working do I need to leave it always on just so I have sound on my DAW? The Tone ports worked well and were powered via USB …..I don’t really want to leave me Axe on all the time…just when I am recording. Is this possible?

A second question is would I be better off picking up a new ( inexpensive ) interface? The Focusrite 2i2 and the Komplete audio 6 both look like something I could use. Is this a better way to go? I am a “hobbiest” now who’s live playing is most likely behind me at this point so I have no need to anything fancier that the basics.

Thank you for your input in advance!

As far as dedicated interfaces go, I love my Focusrite. I have a Saffire Pro 24 and previously had the Saffire 6. Rock solid drivers and great sound quality. The 2i2 is decent and should probably serve you well,but if you need MIDI jacks, the 2i4 has those.

Back
Top Bottom