Atomic CLR Neo speaker

nolesj

Forgive me if this has been asked and answered (I did search here and elsewhere), but what speaker (12” driver) does the CLR Neo use specifically? I have a non Neo version and wanted to see if I could make it lighter without changing the sound.

Anyone with a Neo CLR willing to remove the access panel to snap a picture or two of the speaker? I would be very appreciative!

Forgive me if this has been asked and answered (I did search here and elsewhere), but what speaker (12” driver) does the CLR Neo use specifically? I have a non Neo version and wanted to see if I could make it lighter without changing the sound.
I believe it is a proprietary driver. The web site shows:

Drivers: (1x) Custom 250w 1×12″, (1x) 90w 1″ HF Compression Drive, Neodymium magnet

Is there a reason? just trying to understand why.
Curiosity mostly, but as stated in my original post, I have a non-Neo version, and I’d like to see if I could shave off some weight without changing the sound quality. Even if the speaker they used is “proprietary/custom”, perhaps there is a manufacturer listed on the speaker (as Eminence is on the original) so I could look into alternatives.

But, curiosity mostly…

Forgive me if this has been asked and answered (I did search here and elsewhere), but what speaker (12” driver) does the CLR Neo use specifically?
It's irrelevant. Read on.
I have a non Neo version and wanted to see if I could make it lighter without changing the sound.
The neo versions - there were actually two different ones - have neodymium-magnet woofers and HF drivers. Upgrading a ferrite unit to neo requires different filtering, which means the DSP needs a reflash. Just replacing the transducers without a reflash will degrade the speaker's response.

The CLR was designed from the ground up by Jay Mitchell so you won't find this Neo speaker anywhere & who knows if there is an off the shelf version that is even close. Also, as ropas2 says, the DSP would need updating (confirmed by TGP post by Atomic) and the crossover would need to be updated. This post is almost 2 years old but maybe worth trying to contact Atomic to see if there is anyway to get your CLR updated to the Neo version.
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/atomic-clr-sold-out.2305166/post-34599563

Curiosity mostly, but as stated in my original post, I have a non-Neo version, and I’d like to see if I could shave off some weight without changing the sound quality. Even if the speaker they used is “proprietary/custom”, perhaps there is a manufacturer listed on the speaker (as Eminence is on the original) so I could look into alternatives.

But, curiosity mostly…
You used to able to send in your CLR in to Atomic and get it upgraded to a Neo version! Not sure if TK is doing that any longer but might be worth a try.

Thanks everyone for the info. I suspected that the DSP would need to be adjusted, so it‘s not going to be as easy as a driver replacement only. If I happen to come into possession of a Neo version, I will post some pics of the innards for posterity’s sake since I can’t seem to find any.

I actually had to reattach the dust caps on one of my neo clr speakers because it came loose and caused a high frequency buzzing sound. While I was working on it, I noticed that the neo speaker that they use looks to be modified. It was originally build with a much larger dust cap that would interfere with the HF driver. So the "surgical" cut it out and leave the glued edge on the cone. Then they glue in (not very well in my case) a much smaller dust cap.

So they is a bit of work to do if you want to swap in a neo LF driver.

I actually had to reattach the dust caps on one of my neo clr speakers because it came loose and caused a high frequency buzzing sound. While I was working on it, I noticed that the neo speaker that they use looks to be modified. It was originally build with a much larger dust cap that would interfere with the HF driver. So the "surgical" cut it out and leave the glued edge on the cone. Then they glue in (not very well in my case) a much smaller dust cap.
This was the first version of the neo. The woofer is an Eminence Deltalite 12 with the one modification you discovered. Normal production units were disassembled (in the US), the transducers replaced with neo versions, and the firmware reflashed. This is not the first report of the replacement dust cap being poorly glued in place.

The second (current) version is built to completion at the factory with a different woofer that is made with the requisite smaller dust cap.

So they is a bit of work to do if you want to swap in a neo LF driver.
The current woofer is an OEM product that is not available to a retail purchaser.

Back
Top Bottom