Atomic 4x12 cab

Should Atomic develop a 4x12 cabinet speaker?

• Total voters

prometh

Power User
I don't want my equipment to look entirely different from other guitarists. People are used to seeing a half/full stack on stage. It's bad enough that my rig doesn't say "Marshall" anywhere :p

But seriously, when compared to 2x12 cabs, having a single 4x12 is one less item to lug around.

To clarify:
  • A 4x12 sized cab to fit 2 Atomic component woofers/tweeters/horns, or...[/*:m:14dfq56c]
  • ...A 4x12 sized cab to fit 2 or 4 Atomic coaxial speakers[/*:m:14dfq56c]
  • Stereo/mono capability[/*:m:14dfq56c]

I voted yes but would be perfectly happen with a stereo 2x12 with horns!! I reckon it would be a bit smaller than a 4x12 but lager than a standard 2x12 – perfect!!

I currently have two Atomic Reactor cabs and arrange them side by side standing on their edges (horns/power amps up top). But having this configuration in a single cab solution would be great and I’d still hold onto the cabs I have now for practice and small gigs.

I was thinking about trying out the rmc rackmount system full range system cab. I think someone needs to a 4x12 with two of the speakers being coaxials, so you dont have to have the horn, and it looks like a normal cab 4x12.

Because a Marshall cab will only sound like a Marshall cab.

And if you're referring to just the cab and putting Atomic/FBT/etc speakers in it, that gets very expensive. Perhaps someday, but I'd be happy even if it didn't say "Marshall" on it.

I voted yes, but of course it should not be a 4x12. I would say it should be the equivalent of 2x Atomic Reactor cabs, hopefully in an angled form. It would be nice if it were a bit narrower than a 4x12, more like a 2x12 vert. One problem will be controlling the internal volume of the box, as this is part of the design.

For now, after I sell one of my other amps, I'm going to snag a second Reactor and make a mini-stack.

prometh said:
Because a Marshall cab will only sound like a Marshall cab.

And if you're referring to just the cab and putting Atomic/FBT/etc speakers in it, that gets very expensive. Perhaps someday, but I'd be happy even if it didn't say "Marshall" on it.

What makes an atomic or an FRFR system be able to sound like just about anything is the combination of a special (non guitar) speaker, the tweeter, the shape and qualities of the cabinet and above all the careful adjustment of all these components to make the overall sound as flat as possible.

Just go to any online retailer and search for powered FRFR monitors, they all basically look the same, speaker + tweeter + rectangular shape. Esoteric designs were abandoned by almost everyone long ago.

So putting FRFR speakers in a cabinet won't give you a FRFR cabinet. You're still lacking the tweeter and the cabinet shape and properties. Ever wondered why the same speakers sound different in a Mesa or Fender cab? The cabinet itself colors the tone.

If I were you, I would buy two of the most guitar-looking FRFR powered monitors, which coincidentally (or not ;) ) are the atomics and stack them.

But FRFR's up until recently have been predominately used for playing back a mix, not just a single instrument. What about old school rock n roll, but with an Axe-Fx? This is where a 4x12 FRFR with an esoteric design comes into play.

prometh said:
People are used to seeing a half/full stack on stage.
People were used to seeing acoustic guitars on stage once, too.

Seriously, what kind of shows do you play that the audience cares about this? In my experience only other guitar players notice, and even to them it's not an issue.

Balsawood copies of your favorite cabs might be the way to go. Lighter to carry, and you can make their stage footprint smaller if they're just for show. Plus - for my money - they're way more likely to ever exist than what you propose.

You'd be surprised the bullshit people say behind your back to make themselves feel better. And it ain't good for business.

prometh said:
But FRFR's up until recently have been predominately used for playing back a mix, not just a single instrument. What about old school rock n roll, but with an Axe-Fx? This is where a 4x12 FRFR with an esoteric design comes into play.

The problem with this type of design is you run into response issues. A 412 cab is really not a very good design especially for FRFR. My guess is you would need to do some internal altercations to get it to respond the right way but it would be very high on the cool factor ;) . A 412 coaxial design would be very cool and very expensive as well, a B&C coaxial speaker run around $350'ish retail X4 + a cab and the mods to get it to work wright you might be close to 2K by the time your done... ouch! it would be cool though.

Hmm, interesting; I never knew about component vs coaxial. I initially thought you were talking about cables! Heh.

Do you think it'd be a good idea to add in coaxial to the Atomic 4x12 request?

I think I've got the ultimate solution for you :lol: . Get a good FRFR system and an EMPTY Marshall 4x12 cab! Run both side by side or the cab behind you and the monitor in front of you depending on the situation. No one is going to notice the sound is not coming from the cab and if someone asks, the monitor is for fx or something. You get all the versatility and on top of it the cab without speakers is going to be VERY light.

And most important, you can put your axefx on top the cabinet to tune and tweak comfortably ;) .

:cool: well... too expensive. I'd rather have Atomic build it and sell it. Not only would it save me time and money, but there's the ability to have it repaired by the manufacturer

prometh said:
Hmm, interesting; I never knew about component vs coaxial. I initially thought you were talking about cables! Heh.

Do you think it'd be a good idea to add in coaxial to the Atomic 4x12 request?

Sure it's always a good to add an idea to a wish list. I actually spoke with Tom regarding a coaxial speaker design for the Reactor at winter NAMM and he likes the way he has gone with the current design from a sound and cost perspective and based on that conversation I doubt a 412 coaxial design would be considered, but hey it doesn't hurt to ask... you never know.

I didn't vote, as I am actually not stupid, but a FRFR 4x12???

A stereo 2x12 maybe, at a push, but even then, it could be cumbersome probably weigh an absolute truckload...nope I am happy with my 2xVerve12MA's for maximum flexibility. Sometimes I take one and run mono, sometimes 2 for stereo goodness (spread apart).

I don't give a feck what other people think about what it looks like, that is their problem (although nearly everybody is just stunned at how amazing it sounds and there are monitors on the stage anyway...). The thought of lugging 4x12s around again....no thanks!

I still love my 2 1960A stereo 4x12 cabs at home, but home is where they'll stay.

prometh said:
You'd be surprised the bullshit people say behind your back to make themselves feel better. And it ain't good for business.
Ok. Maybe I'll just consider myself lucky that I never for a minute need to consider what such silly people think or feel. Still, I'd go with replica boxes to fool them where absolutely necessary and actual quality speakers for my sound. Like many others have said, it's not about slapping the right drivers on some arbitrarily shaped box when you're going for FRFR.

Griffin said:
The thought of lugging 4x12s around again....no thanks!

Wouldn't a 4x12 be easier to carry than two 2x12 cabs?

And sorry about the "stupid" part. It's more a joke than anything

prometh said:
Griffin said:
The thought of lugging 4x12s around again....no thanks!

Wouldn't a 4x12 be easier to carry than two 2x12 cabs?

And sorry about the "stupid" part. It's more a joke than anything

My 12MAs are a darn site easier to carry around than a single 4x12 (one in each hand usually), and if I want to use just one I can...Even a pair of 2x12 FRFR cabs wouldn't be required IMHO...christ my 12MAs go so loud...I can make a drummer weep...! I just think a single stereo 4x12 FRFR size cab wouldn't sound as good without the "physical spread" and isolation of the seperate cabs. To get that you would need two running in mono....ouch! I think Jay would have all the tech regarding your proposal!

...I know you was joking ;) :) !

Back
Top Bottom