Assembling Eminence Beta 12CX

thank thomas
it is a 1*12 i made... i missed to explain.. so it could be a good idea to try a coax. I can fix too much boominess with special material i have.
just now I get a very affordable FR cab from eutopean vendor (Thomann model PA302) with 12" boomer and 1" tweeter for 135 Euros~176$. I'm surprised how good the sound is, without break in... would be great to build a coax and test for stereo ! i 'm tempted...

Digging this one up as I'm also thinking about tackling the custom Eminence Beta 12CX project. I build custom guitar cabs in my guitar shop, but have not attempted a FRFR-type of cabinet yet. I would like to test the Beta with one of my already built custom 2x12 cabs (similar size to a Marshall 1936) just to hear how it sounds. I'd then design something similiar to a wedge monitor and/or slanted 2x12, as I would like to hear it at my ears and not my ankles. I know quite a few posts above explain that the Beta package sounds untasteful in a guitar cab design. Maybe I could merge the two, FRFR-sound quality but guitar cab look. I've been thinking for a quite a while that I want a 2x12 cab wide enough to put my rack on top, an OCD thing I know, but it'll make it easier to make changes on the fly during a gig.

It's the Eminence PXB2-2k5cx. That's the one they recommend for the Beta-12cx and ASD-1001 combination. From what I understand it pads down the high-end a bit to get better balance.

TT

Have any of you tried putting a pair of them in a Mesa Boogie 2x12 Rectifier (horizontal) cab? If so, how did it sound?

I tried this combo in my 1*12 home made guitar cab: i wasn't successfull. the sound is very bassys and muffled, so not the right cab...
Need to build a real FR wedge with right dimensions and geometry, or buy an empty xitone, ...

Have any of you tried putting a pair of them in a Mesa Boogie 2x12 Rectifier (horizontal) cab? If so, how did it sound?

I have been wanting to put some Eminence speakers in my custom made 2x12, but haven't gotten around to spending the $200 on two of the speakers. Once I do it, I'll update this tread.

Hopefully it's a useable sound, but as they said above, the EQ of the cab will probably be off.

I tried this combo in my 1*12 home made guitar cab: i wasn't successfull. the sound is very bassys and muffled, so not the right cab...
Need to build a real FR wedge with right dimensions and geometry, or buy an empty xitone, ...

I also tried the Eminence combo in my 2x12 guitar cab (an Avatar Vintage OS semi-open back), and it was... FAIL. :lol

So, since I have no woodworking skills or the tools to make my own cabs, I contacted XiTone and bought empty cabs from Mick. They sound great, and the build quality is top notch.

Has anyone tried the bigger 2002 driver. Read somewhere that Mick favours them.

Yep, I've moved up from the ASD-1000 to the PSD-2002. The 2002 is "hotter", and the upper mids get a nice boost. Not a huge difference, mind you... but enough to be noticeable, especially for guitar.

I'm working on two of these cabinets - the porting are great for the 12". I just have to fool around with the cross-over. Would like to go lower than 2.5K - maybe 1.5.

Monitor 12XA

Keep in mind too that it does add some additional weight, as the 2002 is quite a bit larger. Somewhere around 1-1/2 lbs. The 1001 is 12 oz., the 2002 is 34 oz.

Nearly all guitar cabs with ports are "Quasi-thiele-small". Rather to give a "kick" in the lower midrange than to assist in the drivers natural roll-off. I always tune with several port-lenghts untill it sounds right. And then glue or whatever. This cab is for the Beyma neo coax - very costly. And its not ported with respect to the woofers Fs but assisting in the low midrange/upper bass.

Btw. havent seen it discussed in this thread - but it's covered in several others.
Never use two coax drivers in one enclosure. Two HF drivers introduce lobing, where their combined HF-response makes severe cancellations in the upper range. I'm certain that Xi uses a coax and a 12" woofer (maybe the same Eminence just without the driver).
And one 1001 or 2002 will happily keep up with two woofers.

Would really like to hear an update from Tommy on the Crate 1x12. I have 2 oversized 1x12's I'm using with Scumback H & M75's. I'm really liking the more guitar oriented look and feel of traditional guitar speakers, but I would like to use the CAB sims in the AXE for additional variety/versatility. I'm thinking this FRFR style guitar speaker might be the best of both worlds, but I'm worried about my current cabinet design... no ports, pine boxes, can be closed or semi-open convertable cabs. I could probably dampen and somewhat "tune" them if needed, but without the proper cab it might be a lost cause all together...

Yep, I've moved up from the ASD-1000 to the PSD-2002. The 2002 is "hotter", and the upper mids get a nice boost. Not a huge difference, mind you... but enough to be noticeable, especially for guitar.

Same driver here. Sounds great. I'm curious about the bassy / muffled comment above and what the cab looked like. My Xitone wedges are crisp and full bodied. If anything they could use a little bass boost. If they had that "EVM in a thiele" lower mid warmth and bass kick, they would tickle anyone's fancy.

@Randolfo:may be your refer to my post. the cab is a home made that was good when in 2*12. Later on I bough a new 2*12 cab and try to split my 2*12 in 2 cabs of 1*12. But the result is very bad as the 1*12 do not behave as the 2*12 did. It results in very bassy sound with Guitar speakers or FR speaker... no way :?.
I have to install the Beta12cx in a new FR wedge with right geometry and dimensions

Back
Top Bottom