Art SLA-2, rack spacing question.

jerotas

Experienced
So I just got my SLA-2 today. Sounds very good.

I'm wondering, do I just need a blank 1RU space above it when I put it in the rack? I want to let it cool itself as good as possible and not overheat other components in the rack. I made my G-Force malfunction this way before.

Just wondering if I need a blank space above the power amp, below it, or both?
Oh, and for that matter, same question about the Axe-Fx (I have the Ultra).

thanks!

jerotas said:
I'm wondering, do I just need a blank 1RU space above it when I put it in the rack?
Not necessary IMO! I'm running an SLA-2 in a 4 RU rack for more than two years (with a Rocktron Prophesy in the beginning and since one year with an Ultra

IMG_0540-640.jpg
)

and never had a thermal issue with the SLA or the unit mounted above, even when pushed hard. The cooling system of the ART SLA-2 is - well, quite cool... ;)

I have my SLA-2 on the bottom of a 4 space rack with a space above it and Axe-fx Ultra on the top. Never had any problems so far. I'm going to add my Monster 2500 power conditioner in the middle this week so hopefully no heating issues will come up.

My 4U rack goes like this:

in-ear transmitter/mini-mixer/rolls monitor line
ULTRA
ULTRA
ART SLA-2

On the back rails are my power supply and interface panel. (And the rear mounts of the SLA)

This rack is compact and versatile - I can run it FRFR or guitar cab, mix my own monitors either in-ear or floor, powered or line. But it was a bitch to put together and it weighs a ton.

I've never noticed the SLA even getting warm or anything.

If you're really worried about thermal issues you could put the axe-fx below the power amp so any residual heat doesn't rise into the axe-fx casing There are also case fans that you could put across the back if you have rear rails. From the sounds of it though you don't have much to worry about.

It seems that everyone is putting the amp on the bottom. If I were putting an amp in my rack, it would be at top, certainly above the very expensive Ultra!

mitch236 said:
It seems that everyone is putting the amp on the bottom. If I were putting an amp in my rack, it would be at top, certainly above the very expensive Ultra!

My VHT 2/50/2 is above my Ultra for heat reasons (real or imagined ;) )

mitch236 said:

The SLA won't get hot enough for it to need be on top. The SLA weighs a few more pounds so one could go ether way it won't matter.

Sixstring said:
mitch236 said:
The SLA won't get hot enough for it to need be on top. The SLA weighs a few more pounds so one could go ether way it won't matter.
+1!

Back
Top Bottom