ART SLA-1 or 2?

Guitar-Tiz

Experienced
Which one would be better to use with a 140w a channel stereo Marshall 1960 A 4x12.

It's mostly for at home/bedroom use, but I might use it to monitor myself live (with a direct line running through a parallel cab block,) sometimes too.

I really gotta get my Cousin to let me do an IR of my Cab in his studio. :roll:

Guitar-Tiz said:
Which one would be better to use with a 140w a channel stereo Marshall 1960 A 4x12.

It's mostly for at home/bedroom use, but I might use it to monitor myself live (with a direct line running through a parallel cab block,) sometimes too.

If that's 70 watts L plus 70 watts R then the SLA1 would be fine probably.
If you run the SLA1 in mono bridged mode it can drive 140 watts no problem, but you'd have to wire the cabinet in mono.

Generally speaking, because it's got more power, the SLA2 is more versatile.

joegold said:
Guitar-Tiz said:

If that's 70 watts L plus 70 watts R then the SLA1 would be fine probably.
If you run the SLA1 in mono bridged mode it can drive 140 watts no problem, but you'd have to wire the cabinet in mono.

Generally speaking, because it's got more power, the SLA2 is more versatile.

The cabs 140 x 140, and 280 mono.

I know I've been told that with SS poweramps more power is OK, as long as you don't turn it up too loud, but in my 18 years of playing guitar, I've also heard a lot of other interesting things that I've found to be wrong, and with the SLA2 being 200 x 200, I really just wanted to make 100% sure I won't kill my cab, not even in the long run.

Sure, it may not be the best cab in the world, but I've had it a very long time, so I know it's reliable, and I already know it's tone character.

Don't own one but know from other gear go with the SLA-2. There is no such thing as too much headroom. You can always mark off where you think your limit is.

Firstpenguin said:
Don't own one but know from other gear go with the SLA-2. There is no such thing as too much headroom. You can always mark off where you think your limit is.

Both very good points.

I own it... spend the extra coin and get the SLA-2 if anything for the headroom + more options when it comes to running multiple cabs. You don't have to run it wide open.

Just got a SLA-2 from forum member here. I am running in a 212 G benz Stereo -75W a side. (150 w mono)
Couldnt beat the price for a mint SLA-2. I had been shopping for a small set up and debating on the SLA-1 or 2. In my personal mathematics of things headroom is the plus. Exact match on power is not enough.

The one problem you might have with the SLA line, and it probably won't be an issue with most of you guys here, is fan noise.
I got to rent a few SLAs before I bought my SLA1 and on some of them the fan noise was quite noticeable.
I made sure that the unit I ended purchasing had a quiet fan.

But I'm often playing jazz in quiet venues where the fan noise might be heard.

While their fans are generally much quieter than most power amps of similar power, there is great variance from unit to unit.

mortega76 said:
Hey Tiz, does this mean that you're finally gonna be getting your Axe-fx (Ultra)?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

It has come up in conversation quite a bit between me and my wife lately.

She even suggested getting an unsecured loan! :shock:

I'll probably sell my Vetta to get a power-amp, and some other small goodies, like a new wireless, so this is actually me planning ahead.

Ya see, I have this project that my cousin is begging me to be involved in, and I'd really like to have an Axe-FX Ultra for it, and that's the angle I'm pushing to convince my wife that I really NEED an Axe-FX.

Heck, if I can get a loan with payments around $100 a month, it might be worth it too. At least then it will help our credit score too. :D Bonus.

Guitar-Tiz said:
mortega76 said:
Hey Tiz, does this mean that you're finally gonna be getting your Axe-fx (Ultra)?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

It has come up in conversation quite a bit between me and my wife lately.

She even suggested getting an unsecured loan! :shock:

I'll probably sell my Vetta to get a power-amp, and some other small goodies, like a new wireless, so this is actually me planning ahead.

Ya see, I have this project that my cousin is begging me to be involved in, and I'd really like to have an Axe-FX Ultra for it, and that's the angle I'm pushing to convince my wife that I really NEED an Axe-FX.

Heck, if I can get a loan with payments around $100 a month, it might be worth it too. At least then it will help our credit score too. :D Bonus.
Wow!!!!! In a way you're kinda lucky you've waited this long to get it... cuz you'll be able to start on 7.18 (or newer) instead of 5.xx like I did... This thing has evolved tremendously... hope you get it soon!

Back
Top Bottom