Are there any well known Christian music artists using the axe fx II?

Should an Axe Fx debut in pedal board format a ton of us would flock to it as a cost effective backup rig and for the types of gigs Lincoln Brewster does where a pedalboard in a case and a guitar is what the gig dictates.

Hell, if it did everything my MFC and Axe Fx II do I might even opt for it. The order of the day for me these days is the less shit I have to bring the better.

I don't know any famous worship guitarist using the Axe-FX other than Lincoln. However, I just sold my Ultra to a professional, world-class fiddle player who we're fortunate to have in our worship team. He has worked with some of the full-time and more visible worship leaders such as Steve Swanson and JoAnn McFatter. He is a multi-instrumentalist who needs to switch between fiddle 1, fiddle 2, mandolin, acoustic guitar and electric guitar mid-stream in a song. The Ultra and a midi pedal will give him that flexibility. Last night we used 3 Peq's to dial up one of the sweetest live fiddle tones he's had. We also setup a really nice reverb, pitch shifter with a blend of 1 and 2 octaves down, and two different delays. He can control all of this from a single midi board. The rig will be small, portable and quick to set up when he travels. It was pretty cool to see the big smile on his face when everything was done last night. :)

You're totally right, but the reality is it's just quicker with a real pedalboard. Even if you know the AxeFX II it's still quicker, even if not by much - but in this scenario it can be a big deal to shave 10 seconds off of changing that delay time.

I have all my delays and most time based effects tied to a tap tempo value. I press my tap tempo switch four times and my new delay time is set. That's quicker for me, and less disruptive, than bending down to adjust a pedal. If I want to change delay levels or regenerations I move an expression pedal which again, is less disruptive and quicker for me than bending down to adjust a pedal. Engaging a chorus, phaser, rotary speaker, etc. requires one button press. Engaging a different version of any of those effects can also be accomplished with a single button press, whether that be through an X/Y change or by moving to a different patch. Accomplishing the same thing with a traditional pedal board would involve bending down and tweaking multiple knobs. From my point of view it would be a step back in flexibility to use a pedalboard and amp.

I have been using the AxeFX Ultra / II in a highly spontaneous worship setting for years now. We usually prepare 4 to 6 songs and generally end up doing 2 or maybe 3 of them. Our worship sets are 45 minutes long.

Setup time is quick for me. I bring my rack, midi pedal and guitar, and all I have to do is plug in FOH, in-ear feed and midi pedal and I'm ready to go. The sound tech gets the same warm, sweet tone every time without worrying about mic placement or EQ tweaks.

Terry.

I'm not involved in worship music at all, but if you can't program a set of 5 patches (with IAs and tap tempo) that'll cover almost anything you'd need in one MFC bank, I'd be shocked. Also, now with Lemur, Midi Bridge and Ipad, CC kit and midi interface cable you can run a template that gives you access to tweak everything you could want on the fly, no pedalboard needed. Works like a charm. Put it on a mic stand and you've got crazy flexibility on the fly.

I'm not involved in worship music at all, but if you can't program a set of 5 patches (with IAs and tap tempo) that'll cover almost anything you'd need in one MFC bank, I'd be shocked. Also, now with Lemur, Midi Bridge and Ipad, CC kit and midi interface cable you can run a template that gives you access to tweak everything you could want on the fly, no pedalboard needed. Works like a charm. Put it on a mic stand and you've got crazy flexibility on the fly.

Totally ^^^. I've been playing CCM week in and week out for about 10 years now. Covered a zillion songs by a huge number of artists in a wide range of styles. Main thing is to be flexible and straightforward. In all that time (before the AxeFX and after), it's always come down to clean, crunch, overdrive, and heavy overdrive tones with the ability to add fx as needed and boost volume for solos. Straightforward and predictable is good.

Seriously, what is "Christian" music that (Americans it mostly seems) speak of?

If it's music played by "Christians", than I can only guess (not being a "Christian") it could be Jazz, Blues, Rock, Djent djent, metal, folk, trad-jazz, Irish, Uke-fest, death metal, speed metal, Be Bop......

I don't get it.

Cheers,
Mo.

Seriously, what is "Christian" music that (Americans it mostly seems) speak of?

If it's music played by "Christians", than I can only guess (not being a "Christian") it could be Jazz, Blues, Rock, Djent djent, metal, folk, trad-jazz, Irish, Uke-fest, death metal, speed metal, Be Bop......

I don't get it.

Cheers,
Mo.

Hill song, Matt Redman, Jesus Culture, Lincoln Brewster etc etc. Listen to some of these grops and see if you can tell the difference between them and any rock group you listen to and post up your thoughts.

As I Lay Dying are supposedly all Christians but they never really came out to say they were a Christian type band to get in that category. The singer just got arrested for trying to hire a hitman to kill his wife so that isn't very Christian.

As I Lay Dying are supposedly all Christians but they never really came out to say they were a Christian type band to get in that category. The singer just got arrested for trying to hire a hitman to kill his wife so that isn't very Christian.

Very true, and very sad to hear. But that doesn't mean he's not religious, he could be. *shrugs*

I am semi-pro (formerly pro). I use the fractal for stage , studio, and worship team. One of the things I like about the FX is how versatile it is. I use the FX and MFC-101. I have two banks programmed into the MFC. I have set the MFC for 2 rows of presets, and the top row for IA's. I use three other banks for my work with Supernal Endgame. Works great for me. I like to be able to dial in my tones in the studio then save the preset so when I play live my rig sounds just like the recording. As for ease of setup for worship, I carry the FX in a soft 3u rack bag, and the MFC and expression pedals in a pedal board. Open both up, plug in the FX, connect the FX to FOH, connect the Cat cable to the MFC, turn it on, and I'm ready to rock. It's the roadies week off so I usually do all that myself. Takes about a minute. Supernal Endgame is another matter. Connection to FOH is the same, but we use a rather complicated stage setup (acoustic guitars, keyboard rigs, etc.) so it takes more effort, (sub-mixers). It's still the roadie's week off so I do that too.

It would be nice to be able to discuss musicians that are practicing Christians without all the cheap shots at Christianity.

Hey Sixstring.
Thanks. I checked out some of that stuff (time is limited - I have an album to finish!!).
I can't hear any Musical similarities. Lyrical, yes, tons of them, but not Musical, which is what, to me, mostly defines the differences between genres of Music.

I can, for example, hear an instrumental in the vein of Jazz, Blues, Surf etc etc & immediately hear some difference, though often they are small (but that is another topic for discussion).

So I remain just as perplexed!

Thanks,
Mo.

Hey Sixstring.
Thanks. I checked out some of that stuff (time is limited - I have an album to finish!!).
I can't hear any Musical similarities. Lyrical, yes, tons of them, but not Musical, which is what, to me, mostly defines the differences between genres of Music.

I can, for example, hear an instrumental in the vein of Jazz, Blues, Surf etc etc & immediately hear some difference, though often they are small (but that is another topic for discussion).

So I remain just as perplexed!

Thanks,
Mo.

Well weather it is rock, death metal, country or christian, all of them "borrow" from each other in some way...so you are NEVER going to hear something hugely different in generes of music anyway.

And to me, the lyrics ARE what defines music also! Not just the melody.

If that was the case, everyone would be doing instrumentals.

This is some of the stuff I do. This is Pretty much played in any contemporary modern day church, these days.

A lot of dotted 8th stuff.

If this stuff offends you, then just listen to the music, pretend they are singing about water buffalo's. Of course if you are offended, I don't know why you would be in this thread.

Back
Top Bottom