Anyone using EVM 12L's in a cab and getting great tone?

jetspeed747

Inspired
I have a brand new setup and looking for advice, strategies, patches, anything to get a good tone out of my rig.

Axe Fx II
Matrix GT800FX
Two 1x12 TruTone Cabs
EVM 12L Classic Speakers

As it is I'm tweaking around and can't seem to find a sweet spot. Every thing feels likes it's not coming from the source but like its a little thin and lacking dimension.

The EVMs at low volume sound somewhat 2D and bright.
It's at loud volume where they really shine (when they are properly burnt in).

You can find ways around this by using cab sims at low volume (which will emphasize low end), or by turning up low end in the global EQ.

Make sure Power Amp simul. is switched on.

I keep hearing about this setup with the matrix and evm. Is it full range or just a guitar cabinet?

The EVM does have an extended high freq range, compared to other guitar speakers.
Up to 7kHz, but with decreasing dBs. A PEQ can be used to boost that freq. area. This enables better reproduction of non-guitar stuff.

I am using a stereo Mesa 4x12 with EVM12Ls with the Matrix GT800FX. You need to leave the power sims on and adjust the EQ to add bass at lower volumes. I didn't like the cab sims on (ever) so I leave them off.
If you are using 1x12 cabinets with the EV's on the floor I would recommend angling them up instead of facing straight. If they aren't angled up to you they don't sound as good IMO.

If you are using 1x12 cabinets with the EV's on the floor I would recommend angling them up instead of facing straight. If they aren't angled up to you they don't sound as good IMO.

Absolutely!

I'm running two 2x12 cabs with EVM's but I power them with a Mesa 2:90. Yek is correct, they don't really come to life until you start pushing them. You didn't specify what type of tone your after though. I've also recent found I'm getting much closer to my high gain tone in my Triaxis by turning off power amp sims (just turning sag all the way down on that patch actually). I'd prefer to have the extra parameters to tweak, but whatever works. You have to start with fresh ears though. If you have poweramp sims on and tweak for a while then turn off power amp sims it seems like 'yuk!' I'd kinda like to try the Matrix (purely for weight considerations) but I've heard opinions both ways compared to the 2:90.

You might try searching out the threads in the Preset section from Smilefan (his name is in the title of each of these threads). He was using the EV 12L's with the Matrix amp for his live rig, which is what he used to develop all his patches. You might find some in there that work for you, or at least get you on track to rolling your own. I believe Smilefan mentions that those patches were developed at band volume for live use. I think using a bit of volume will be critical as well- it was in the past for me when I used the 12L's in real amps.

Smilefan had special cabs (2 2x12s) made from pinewood IIRC, and they were open back.
He played them indeed at loud volume.

The EVM does have an extended high freq range, compared to other guitar speakers.
Up to 7kHz, but with decreasing dBs. A PEQ can be used to boost that freq. area. This enables better reproduction of non-guitar stuff.

Thanks yek, I'm finding these speakers to be quite bright and I just have to get in tune with how to tame them a little. I'm still not feeling that full warm, 3d feel. Could this have something to do with breaking them in? What is the best method for properly burning them in?

I am using a stereo Mesa 4x12 with EVM12Ls with the Matrix GT800FX. You need to leave the power sims on and adjust the EQ to add bass at lower volumes. I didn't like the cab sims on (ever) so I leave them off.

Great Dave, good stuff. I'll give it a go. I'm finding they seem better with cab sims off.

My experience using these with piles of Mesa amps? As others have said: They are great if they are LOUD! I don't think the EVMs come into their own until your ears are starting to bleed. :shock

I used them a lot but let them go when my orthopedist suggested that moving around 200# cabs might not be the best thing for my back!

You know what cab was designed for this speaker and sounds outstanding? The Mesa Thiele 1 x 12 (which is not truly a Mesa design--they just made it commercial). I still have a couple with EVMs in them.

Am still trying to sell my 2:90 (which goes beautifully with the EVMs). I powered down to a couple 20/20s.

Thanks yek, I'm finding these speakers to be quite bright and I just have to get in tune with how to tame them a little. I'm still not feeling that full warm, 3d feel. Could this have something to do with breaking them in? What is the best method for properly burning them in?

Can't remember if it was this forum or another, but someone said they mounted the speakers facing each other and reversed the phase on one then played a constant loop of music through them at a good old volume for a day or two. Reversing the phase on one meant they sort of cancelled each other out and while the cones were getting a good flap the decibels were not excessive.

I thought I remembered seeing that they start to roll off highs as you crank them up. I wonder if a blocking EQ could just do that at any volume.

I build custom PA and guitar cabs, and have found that it does make a big difference in most cases to properly burn in the drivers. With guitar drivers, usually somewhere between 40hz -80hz test tones will do nicely. I usually do the bare drivers out of the box, with a pair wire them in reverse phase. This is just to keep the noise level down. I've also done them already installed in a cabinet, laying the cabinet face down on a carpeted floor for the same reason. I use a little 10w power amp for this, it doesn't take a lot of power at these frequencies to generate plenty of cone movement. You can download a good free program here:
Download section for Burninwave generator
I like to let them go for 24 hours. Play around with the freq of the tone from 40hz - 80hz and watch the cone movement. I would guess closer to 40hz for the EV's, I've done many Eminence PA drivers with similar specs.

I build custom PA and guitar cabs, and have found that it does make a big difference in most cases to properly burn in the drivers. With guitar drivers, usually somewhere between 40hz -80hz test tones will do nicely. I usually do the bare drivers out of the box, with a pair wire them in reverse phase. This is just to keep the noise level down. I've also done them already installed in a cabinet, laying the cabinet face down on a carpeted floor for the same reason. I use a little 10w power amp for this, it doesn't take a lot of power at these frequencies to generate plenty of cone movement. You can download a good free program here:
Download section for Burninwave generator
I like to let them go for 24 hours. Play around with the freq of the tone from 40hz - 80hz and watch the cone movement. I would guess closer to 40hz for the EV's, I've done many Eminence PA drivers with similar specs.

Hmmmm......very interesting. I'll definitely look into doing this. Thanks for the reply.

Back
Top Bottom