ANYONE USE THIS IN A PROFESSIONAL ENVIRONMENT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone using the AXE's USB i/o alongside existing ASIO drivers? Basically looking for a way to use the AXE-FX III via usb in and out of a PC without the AXE hijacking the main sound card.

Cheers,

Last edited:
I think you need to ask yourself why, just like all other sound cards, the Axe-FX uses ASIO. If you have concerns about that, here's who you should contact: Satya.Nadella@Microsoft.com

But to answer your question, yes, the Axe-FX is used in a professional environment. Quite often, as a matter of fact.

Edit: I see you've edited the first post in this thread to completely change it. Originally it was an angry complaint about the fact that FAS uses ASIO for their driver on Windows. This thread won't make much sense to somebody reading it now :).

Last edited:
Thanks Chris, Any thoughts or solutions? we have nice boutique amps in the studio and if the AXE cannot be used via digital input alongside our existing ASIO drivers without wreaking havoc it's useless to us as it kills our workflow, really wish Fractal had made this clear in the literature.

I think you need to ask yourself why, just like all other sound cards, the Axe-FX uses ASIO. If you have concerns about that, here's who you should contact: Satya.Nadella@Microsoft.com

But to answer your question, yes, the Axe-FX is used in a professional environment. Quite often, as a matter of fact.
Thanks for the response Glenn, Glad to hear that you've figured it out. How are you using the AXE in a professional production environment whilst keeping your systems core ASIO drivers online at the same time? Please, enlighten us!

Thanks for the response Glenn, Glad to hear that you've figured it out. How are you using the AXE in a professional production environment whilst keeping your systems core ASIO drivers online at the same time? Please, enlighten us!

I can't see your face, so I don't know if you're joking or not. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt though and assume you're asking a sincere question. The answers are here:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-for-the-recording-musician.177592/

It's a Windows problem, not a Fractal or ASIO problem. Switch to MacIntosh and you can set up an aggregate device.
+1 every commercial studio or audio engineering education facility I have ever worked in used a Mac. I’ve never seen an issue incorporating an AXE-FX III in a commercial studio environment.

My small project studio adapts between several formats with MADI and Ethernet at its core. Mac and Windows… All works great.

Having a hard time understanding how a “PROFESSIONAL ENVIRONMENT” isn’t working with a consultant to resolve this. I mean, blaming the AxeFx for supporting a particular digital I/O when it supports multiple seems strange. Fractal certainly doesn’t hide anything from us up front.

Last edited:
I can't see your face, so I don't know if you're j
lol I appreciate that. I'm actually being sincere, I'm legitimately looking for support and help from the forum users not looking for arguments or any toxicity lol. I get the tech and the i/o of the AXE the problem is we require all of our 32 i/o channels and do not wish to switch ASIO drivers over to the AXE which effectively removes and resets our existing i/o in the DAW and obviously does not provide the same channel count. ( we are bussing 16 Stereo Channels from the DAW into a SSL Sigma analog summing mixer) which as you can understand presents problems when altering our ad/da conversion in any way if the AXE could handle 32 CH i/o this would not be a problem.

If you have RCA SPDIF available, you can use that to get digital out of Fractal gear without the ASIO issue your PC is having.

I use a Mac, and have an Aggregate Device set up, so no issues plugging in and using the USB and all of its goodies alongside my audio I/O box, but I used to use Windows (back in the XP days) so I feel your pain with the issues it presents for doing music production....

My small project studio adapts between several formats with MADI and Ethernet at its core. Mac and Windows… All works great.

Having a hard time understanding how a “PROFESSIONAL ENVIRONMENT” isn’t working with a consultant to resolve this. I mean, blaming the AxeFx for supporting a particular digital I/O when it supports multiple seems strange. Fractal certainly doesn’t hide anything from us up front.
Looking for a solution to my initial request, If you have a solution to utilize the digital i/o ( usb audio) of the AXE while still using your main sound cards ASIO drivers please explain. Also Madi and Ethernet are network protocols not audio drivers, thanks for the help!

Looking for a solution to my initial request, If you have a solution to utilize the digital i/o ( usb audio) of the AXE while still using your main sound cards ASIO drivers please explain. Also Madi and Ethernet are network protocols not audio drivers, thanks for the help!

Dude, the answers are in the recording guide. Read that first. Otherwise, you're making it difficult for us to believe that you're being sincere :).

If you have RCA SPDIF available, you can use that to get digital out of Fractal gear without the ASIO issue your PC is having.

I use a Mac, and have an Aggregate Device set up, so no issues plugging in and using the USB and all of its goodies alongside my audio I/O box, but I used to use Windows (back in the XP days) so I feel your pain with the issues it presents for doing music production....
lol yeah not gonna be switching to Mac anytime soon.... I hope lol Thanks for adding helpful input btw! So if I'm understanding correctly because Macs use Core Audio instead of ASIO it doesn't have a conflict, correct ? could I set up a Mac and connect the AXE through that and use Dante to connect the whole shebang to my PC network?

lol yeah not gonna be switching to Mac anytime soon.... I hope lol Thanks for adding helpful input btw! So if I'm understanding correctly because Macs use Core Audio instead of ASIO it doesn't have a conflict, correct ? could I set up a Mac and connect the AXE through that and use Dante to connect the whole shebang to my PC network?
Also to be clear I'm needing the USB input into the PC not just basic i/o digital or analog

AxeFx runs into an Orion32 via S/PDIF. It’s united with 16 channels of ADAT and 32 channels of analog I/O and all flows nicely down the network lines with 64 channels in and out, no need for USB, buss channels to spare, and no need for aggregates. So, you might then understand, “your main sound cards ASIO drivers,” means nothing to me. My point about getting help from a consultant stands.

Dude, the answers are in the recording guide. Read that first. Otherwise, you're making it difficult for us to believe that you're being sincere :).
Sorry if the initial question was unclear I'm not looking for a guide on basic i/o we're good with that. I'm looking to use the USB input/output of the AXE into the PC without the AXE hijacking our existing ASIO drivers I do not see a way to do this in your guide. Said in another way we do not require nor do we want to use the AXE as a sound card we already have one. We would like to record a wet signal from the AXE and also the DI signal at the same time, after which we can play back the DI signal back into the AXE and tweak setting to match the desired results (re-amp) the only way this appears possible is via the USB output of the AXE when the USB of the AXE is connected it automatically takes over the ASIO drivers of our system. Yes we can get this to work but only if we allow the AXE to function as the sound card ( in Windows with ASIO there can only be one at a time) this doesn't work for us as we require our primary sound card to be enabled so we can hear playback etc. Also I get we can configure this via analog i/o using a DI box etc. The point is we're looking for a way to do it via the AXE's USB i/o AND maintain use of our current ASIO drivers.

Said in another way we do not require nor do we want to use the AXE as a sound card we already have one. We would like to record a wet signal from the AXE and also the DI signal at the same time, after which we can play back the DI signal back into the AXE and tweak setting to match the desired results (re-amp)

You will find detailed instructions on how to do this in configuration #5 (or #4 for anyone using a Mac) in the recording guide. This is hardly a novel dilemma that you are faced with. It's a common problem. There is a common solution. It's hard to understand why you are perplexed by anything here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom