Anyone tried an M-Audio UC-33e controller with the Axe-Fx?

iaresee

Administrator
At last night's rehearsal I spent a lot of time menu diving to fix level issues and effect mix issues on my patches. Not a big deal, that's what rehearsals are for -- working on the little details. But I got to wishing I didn't have to menu dive to tweak things.

Poking around on the net today I came across the M-Audio Evolution UC-33e control surface:

uc33e_v2008.jpg

Has anyone tried something like this with their Axe-Fx? Where you bound the dials and sliders on the UC-33e to your patches for faster real time editing in the field? Can you run a UC-33e and a foot controller?

It'd be nice to be able to take the something like a UC-33e to rehearsal for patch tweaking in the field, but not in a high pressure situation. I'm not in front of my unit right now, but can you even assign CC's to every parameter in every block? Or just some parameters?

Many people, myself included, have wanted to use similar midi gadgetry but you wouldn't be able to make use of all the knobs and faders. The axe doesn't allow enough external controls.

Firstpenguin said:
Many people, myself included, have wanted to use similar midi gadgetry but you wouldn't be able to make use of all the knobs and faders. The axe doesn't allow enough external controls.
Yea, my memory is telling me there were no CC indicators below parameters like bass, mid and treble on the amp block.

Pity. It'd be a cool add on.

It would have to controlled via Sysex MIDI messages, just like the software editor does. I am not aware that those messages are in the public domain however.

Hey guys, what about the Novation Remote ZeroSL? Its template editor allows you to assign sysex messages to almost every button, knob and fader.

I'm afriad I know nothing about sysex, when I tried monitoring AxeEdit with MidiOX it all looked like chinese to me...and it scrolled by REALLY fast :ugeek:

derker said:
Hey guys, what about the Novation Remote ZeroSL?

That looks cool !!

From what I am reading, if Novation could get the info...it would automap the assets in the Axe-Fx, although i may be wrong.

I think I would buy this thing if it worked.

Even if it won't automap, there is a template editor where manually put in sysex messages, values/ranges, etc.

I'm aware that Fractal hasn't or won't publish a list of the Axe's sysex commands, but maybe somebody who knows more about sysex can come in here and shed some light on this subject.

Bump

Still looking for some information on how to read sysex. Can't find too much about it on the web...

derker said:
Bump

Still looking for some information on how to read sysex. Can't find too much about it on the web...
You can use MIDI-OX or SysEx Librarian to trap SysEx information being sent and received. One possible approach is to set SysEx Librarian as a sink for SysEx message, fire up the Axe Editor software and start twiddling knobs -- see what gets sent.

There's an XML file for the old editor kicking around. Meant to peak in that and see if it describes the SysEx messages.

Hey man-

I've tried using MIDI OX to monitor the messages but they goes by so fast. I'm not sure what filters I can use to slow it down either. I found this website that helped me understand the structure of a sysex command-

http://troywoodfield.tripod.com/sysex.html

I also got the XML and I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking at, but I'm not seeing any hex stuff that would go along directly with sysex format.

Let's try and keep this going!

Back
Top Bottom