Anyone running the FM3 through a Fryette Power Station?

sarge

Power User
I already have an Axe III, but for me that is dedicated to the "home studio/jam room" and I have no intention of unplugging everything every time I want to go jam with friends.

My portable rig was a head and 1x12 but now is an HX stomp and Headrush 1x12.

I had recently sold off a bunch of gear and have been flirting with the idea of that SLO-30 head, but that is considerably over priced and I am having a hard time justifying. If I go that route there won't be an FM3 in my future for probably another year (and may not be anyway considering I just got on the waiting list a month or two ago).

I really want the flexibility and sound quality of Fractal but the ability to go into a guitar cab as well. While solid state power amps can be great, I feel they need to be VERY overpowered in order to sound good at drummer volumes, where as 50 watt tube power amps, while they may color the tone a little at drummer volume, still typically sound good at that volume.

Really thinking the Fryette Power Station S2 could be the perfect compromise. I had the version 1 years ago, and it was really cool. It did have the low pass filter thing going on though that did annoy me but which is now switchable.

Just wondering if anyone here is using one with there FM3 going into a traditional cab and how they feel about the results.

Hey Sarge,
Check out Yek's posts regarding the PS2 - he loves it with the Axe III which the FM3 sounds identical to.
So it's only a matter of whether you like the form factor of a FM3 + PS2 + cab rig.
I sometimes use the Seymour Duncan PowerStage 170 (solid state) amp with my Axe III rig and a traditional cab, and I think sounds killer, so for a FM3 based rig I'd personally go with the SD PS 170 as the poweramp

Hey Sarge,
Check out Yek's posts regarding the PS2 - he loves it with the Axe III which the FM3 sounds identical to.
So it's only a matter of whether you like the form factor of a FM3 + PS2 + cab rig.
I sometimes use the Seymour Duncan PowerStage 170 (solid state) amp with my Axe III rig and a traditional cab, and I think sounds killer, so for a FM3 based rig I'd personally go with the SD PS 170 as the poweramp

Yeah, the SD PS 170 would certainly be a much better form factor. Been a bit since the last time I played in a band context but the drummer was ridiculously loud with the last group I played with and I like to have a lot of extra power on tap when going solid state. Used a Carvin 1540L with My Axe II years ago and it hung no problem.

You feel the 170 can hang with most drummers?

If I would use the III / FM3 as an amp in the room / backline only, I would always use the Power Station.

But for mixed use, such as combining the above with a send to FOH, it’s much easier to use an amp like the SD. Simplifies configuration and sounds almost as good.

And yes, the SD is loud enough.

Yeah, the SD PS 170 would certainly be a much better form factor. Been a bit since the last time I played in a band context but the drummer was ridiculously loud with the last group I played with and I like to have a lot of extra power on tap when going solid state. Used a Carvin 1540L with My Axe II years ago and it hung no problem.

You feel the 170 can hang with most drummers?

Yes, the SD 170 is easily loud enough

I have used the FM3 through my Freyette into this Orange with a V30. Sounds like you expect it to. And yes it drives a 412 with ease @ 50 watts.

For simplicity however, nothing beats a fractal into the QSC K series. You want portability? The QSC K8.2 OWNS this market. For sheer size, portability and power, there is nothing that does what it does. 2k watts AND dsp to manage the high volume feedback issues with all FRFR make it in a league by itself. The bass is the same from it as the K10 and K12. More than you will ever need playing guitar. I have them all and never take them as no point in hauling around the extra weight and size.

I can carry all guitars, pedalboard and backline in one trip from the car now and set up in less than 10 minutes, take up 2 square feet of stage and peel paint!!

Attachments

• IMG_0478.jpeg
    IMG_0478.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 55
Back
Top Bottom