Anyone going direct in a practice studio situation?

nick1527

Inspired
Is anyone here using the axe direct in a band practice room.

Does it interfere with the vocals?

I might be going back to playing in a band and was wondering if i could get away with sharing the PA with the vocalist at rehearsal?

I'll be playing Prog metal along the lines of between the buried and me.

cheers guys, i thought as much.

I might just bite the bullet and get another head - id like to get a valve power amp for the axe but that + a foot controller would run me more than i want to spend.

Id be cheaper just buying a laney ironheart as i reckon it will fullfill my needs and i still have my cab.

You don't need a tube power amp. A solid state power is enough (and better IMHO). A midi controller isn't that expensive either, there are several cheap alternatives that work just fine.

well yeah i was looking at the rocktron velocity 300 1U version its relativly inexpensive as is the rocktron midi mate.

tbh i am not a tone snob either i just want something that is punishing and percussive sounding on my rythm tones to get a good live sound and has the volume to get the cleans and mid gain stuff across nicley. i'll be competing with a dual recto roadster as well and that head is loud as fuck!

I've used my pod xt live once before into a PA with vocals, worked ok... never quite felt like i was loud enough. I've used the axe once too. I'm in 2 bands at the moment, one uses vdrums and a jam hub, the other I use a spider III 1x12 with a behringer cab sim direct box and my IEM's, as i dont want to drag my axe rig back and forth.

I love the jamhub, just wish it had some eq ability.

I run Direct to our PA and do not use my FRFR Monitors for Band Practice.
It sounds Great. Never had any problems.
Also allows me to tweak my Patches through the system the Audience listens to.

I go direct through a Carvin PA with 2 15" 3 ways and a 18" sub it sounds awesome!! Full discloseur we use Roland V drums so our volumes at rehearsal are quite manageable

Since buying the Axe II, I always go direct. It's far better to find out that you're walking over other band mates at practice than at a gig...gives you time to carve out your piece of the sonic pie.

It's really a matter of which PA do you have in the studio.
We used to rehearse over this place which was very big and had a wonderful PA system over there (also a very good sound guy) and I was running my POD HD500 and later the AxeII through the PA and it sound a bomb!
Then we moved to another place with totally different PA system and my sound was thin and small so I started bringing my Mesa 2:90 and connect it stereo to the ENGL 4x12 stereo cab they had there and the sound was VERY good.
After some time I just couldn’t carry the 2:90 anymore (my back said NO!) so I got myself a feather weight amp, Carvin DCM200L (4 lib) and that’s it, I'm fixed with the weight AND sound (still in stereo).

I go thru carvin active PA speakers (pm15a). Sounds so good I don't even bother bring a poweramp or speaker cab to practice. If I want to hear more of my guitar I just turn it up in the monitor facing me.

everyone in the band coming out of the same speakers during rehearsal is good practice so you can balance levels for what you want the audience to hear. many people forget that playing music for an audience is mostly for THEIR enjoyment, not just the musicians'.

if you really want some fun, on a non-drum gig, have all instruments go direct to the mixer and have NO stage monitors. you'll be behind the speakers like normal (to prevent mic feedback) and you'll be forced to listen and to blend your instruments to create a good mix for the audience.

Is anyone here using the axe direct in a band practice room.
Does it interfere with the vocals?
I might be going back to playing in a band and was wondering if i could get away with sharing the PA with the vocalist at rehearsal

I've been doing that for ages. Also, in some occasions, everything but the drums, including keyboards. No interference at all, as far as the volume matches are correct, and all the EQ´s are correct, in particular your almighty guitar (as it should be in any studio or live situation)

+1 for the Jamhub here. Both of my bands practice using an electronic kit and DI into the jam hub (Axe FX, POD's, Bass DI from some boss multi-fx pedal. We use an MXR 990 in the middle of the room so we can talk freely. It's awesome because we can practice downstairs and my wife can watch TV upstairs! The Jamhub rules.

Back
Top Bottom