Any P&W users on here?

I've played P&W exclusively on a weekly basis for nearly ten years. The last 2 years have been with the Axe. Before that, I used the Cybertwin (which I still have but haven't touched in a while). Before that, I used a Zoom 9050 through a Peavy Bandit (both long gone).
We play a couple brand new songs every week which keeps me on my toes. I generally take and modify a template to the specific sound that suits the song and then save the preset with the new song name. I have quite a collection of "shareable" presets available. Each preset utilizes 5 scenes (left to right, clean, crunch, chorus (spangle), rhythm, and solo). I use two modified Ernie ball jr volume pedals as expression pedals. One pedal is used as a volume boost and the other controls effects like wah, delay, or anything specific to the individual song. When creating new patches, I like to explore the different amps and cabs available although I do fall back on the JCM 800, AC30, USA Clean and Trip Tik sounds. I use the dotted 1/8 quite a bit since it is quite a big part of P&W however, I'm trying to tame it down a little. Too much delay and reverb can really wash out the entire band sound and a drier sound gives the sound man a little more to work with.
There's my 2 cents. The Axe has changed my music and the forum has been a great inspiration to my music.

The problem? The master volume on the bass player's POD was turned down.

Didn't the bass player notice that he couldn't hear himself?

Another sound guy tip:
When the sound guy asks for a level check, give him the highest level you're going to play in the set - not some half-hearted noodling that you will exceed in level by orders of magnitude in the middle of the uptempo songs, peaking everyone's IEMs.

I use an Axe II exclusively for my weekly P&W band. We are on in-ears and it works perfectly. I don't use anything remotely Vox-like. :) There is plenty of that out there already, and the other guitarist uses one. I'm using a Plexi, JCM 800, Soldano SLO, Trainwrecks, and a Twin Reverb. Sometimes a Recto gets thrown in for special events where we play some drop D stuff. I use some delay but never reverb. I only have one patch that has atmospheric stuff. Rarely does it get used.

Didn't the bass player notice that he couldn't hear himself?

Another sound guy tip:
When the sound guy asks for a level check, give him the highest level you're going to play in the set - not some half-hearted noodling that you will exceed in level by orders of magnitude in the middle of the uptempo songs, peaking everyone's IEMs.

The bass players can never hear themselves using in-ears, which the rest of us use, so this particular player brought in a stereo sub-woofer and ran it from the V-Mix personal monitor mixer. They stand literally right behind the main subs on stage (as do I on the other side of the drummer), but oddly enough the subs don't project much bass out the back. That's a good thing from my perspective. I used to play more to the front of one of them, and even with in-ears I had to crank it up pretty loud to overcome all the bass.

Regarding the sound guy getting a level check - Yeah, right! I think they just assume everything is working from the last service or rehearsal. I don't really mean to bash them; they're good guys. But, they're not musicians or pros.

I use an Axe II exclusively for my weekly P&W band. We are on in-ears and it works perfectly. I don't use anything remotely Vox-like. :) There is plenty of that out there already, and the other guitarist uses one. I'm using a Plexi, JCM 800, Soldano SLO, Trainwrecks, and a Twin Reverb. Sometimes a Recto gets thrown in for special events where we play some drop D stuff. I use some delay but never reverb. I only have one patch that has atmospheric stuff. Rarely does it get used.

What IR do you use with the JCM800?

By the way, your attitude sounds similar to mine. I'm more of an 80s rock/metal guy, so it's a constant struggle to find the balance between what sounds are expected, and the sounds I naturally gravitate towards. The older I get the more I lean towards giving in to what people want to hear. I'm not sure if that's maturity, or just acquiescing to the reality of the situation.

Went to rehearsal last night. Setup was really simple - just plugged an xlr into the board and my levels were good.

My patches needed some tweaking. Some of my reverb and delay effects were a little too subtle so I raised the mix levels a bit. I also turned up the gain a little on my dirty AD30 tone. It just didn't have quite enough crunch. I still need to tweak my lead tone. It just sounds really dry and flat. It's weird how everything can sound fine at home but sounds completely different in the mix.

The older I get the more I lean towards giving in to what people want to hear. I'm not sure if that's maturity, or just acquiescing to the reality of the situation.

You have to grow. We are volunteering in essentially a cover band and should attempt to sound like the guitars in the original.

I'm 46 and an 80s guy too. But when we volunteer and use a tone that is 30 years old, that doesn't serve the songs very well, we sound as dated and out of touch as a guy 30 years older than us would've sounded if he joined our cover band as kids, if we were playing hair metal, and he was using a 50's guitar sound like Bill Hailey Rock Around the Clock.

That is a fantastic tone and brilliant solo. But it wouldn't fly in a Tesla song.

We have to be relevant to the generation we are serving. Not a slave to the past, when we volunteer.

It's called humility too.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

i used my Axe weekly in worship for a long time, then after over a year sabbatical from playing in church i'm starting to do so again on a part time basis. I decided to start a FB group for Axe users who do that type of music. Easy place to chat, share vids, patches, etc. If you are on FB and interested, feel free to join in. I just started it so there are no members yet, but I figured it would be a fairly small community, anyway. Here's the link:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/816137968471426/

I highly recommend 18.0x firmware and Cab pack 10 which uses the new IR capture technique for anyone going FOH in a dense mix. I play every week an did 3 services with this new combination last week and the feel, tone and the fit in the mix was as good as it gets!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom