Any one else a little disappointed with the new FW/patches?

Do you have a link to that? Right now I'm back on FW 10.2 with FW 10 patches and all is good. Also using Axe Edit 1.9 now. :0(

I might try that, but it says its morefor cleaning up cabs. I reloaded FW 11.3, but kept my patches...not sure what I think yet, other than FW 11.3 has level disparities in a few places.

I'm a vintage/clean kind of guy and I've never been happier with the tones I'm getting with the stock patches, especially the Princeton patch. Took that and added an Ownhammer cab and I''m in tonal heaven. Oh, and the Friedman's. Oh my!

I too am over the moon with the latest FW. I've only had the AxeFX a few months, and due to work and holidays haven't used it half as much as I'd like to. In my short time on it, it's was clear this is a fantastic product and those great tones were in there....somewhere. But almost every preset, be it stock or from the exchange was far from usable. The clean ones were a bit lifeless and the heavier ones too generic. A lot of tweaking was required to get them sounding good.

I installed FW11.03 today and it's like there was a horrible bug on my box that's been fixed. The stock presets are mind blowing. I've been through the first 20 or so and it's like night and day from FW10. I also tried a couple of the Queen and Pink Floyd inspired presets as they were particularly disappointing when I first got my AxeFX. Now they sound stunning without changing a single value.

All this was done on my LP. Can't wait to plug the Tele in.

Forget the presets and create your own. If your trying to be happy with your sound then create the sound that makes you happy. With the Axe what ever your trying to achieve can happen just spend some time and you'll get there.

I'm a vintage/clean kind of guy and I've never been happier with the tones I'm getting with the stock patches, especially the Princeton patch. Took that and added an Ownhammer cab and I''m in tonal heaven. Oh, and the Friedman's. Oh my!

+1

Well I have to agree the Princeton is really one of my favorite amps. However i like to crank up the drive and the master and get my clean tone with the guitar volume pot. This amp seems to really clean up in a very great way using it in this way. I love the Princeton amp I always have ever since the 70s when I first jammed through one of them. It was such a small amp but had a great rock sound.

I start over with each new FW upgrade as I've found this much easier than trying to tweak existing tones which have been altered by the updates.
As for FW 11 - am loving it, it sounds huge.
And the new IR's from FAS and Ownhammer respectively really are the icing on the cake.
Very cool having Axe Edit back too.
One insanely happy customer.

another 11.03 fan here.
loving the Mesa models and the JVM models ....again.
the OH modern GH-65 IR's have really opened up a couple of my patches with the Cameron models and the JCM 800 model.
I wish I had one of those old JCM 800 4X12s to use here with my Power amp. I forgot how good those speakers can sound.

Since 11.03 I’ve been stuck on the Friedman HBE… just can't stop playing long enough to try anything else… maybe this weekend? 8)

This is why I posted the question...seems everyone is thrilled with it, but I still haven't been able to dial in sounds as good as what I had with FW 10. I'm also having issues with levels...some patches show output clipping where Sonar has a weak inputt and some patches are noticeably louder without clipping from AFxII, but clip the input on Sonar.

It's probably all just me.

Oh...and I still love AFXII!

I truly think one of the biggest issues people have with presets is trying a ton at once.....there is no way your ears can adjust to that many different tones and feels in a short amount of time. I'd almost advise to trying different presets of the same type of amps/tones at once, as opposed to just scrolling through. Almost any clean amp is going to sound flat and dull after playing through gainier patches. I just think you have to give your ears a chance sometimes.

I know for me almost any clean preset, when I play it on it's own sounds great, feels great....then after I play the Friedmans or Marshalls and get used to that vibe, I can't go back to the cleans.....it's too jarring and I perceive them to be something they are not.

I kept going back to 5.07 until 9.x came out b/c I couldn't get it to sound right. I've kept pace since, tho. As mentioned earlier, you can stay with any FW that works best! It's just a tool to create with, albeit an excellent one.

Back
Top Bottom