Any Fellow Gamers Here?

Jipps0525

Power User
I could use some hasty advice. I have a desktop PC where I play my Steam games and handles most games very well. Starfield has been running fine on it. I also have a Ps5 for Sony exclusives. I’m going to be doing a lot of commuting these next few months and probably will not be up to the task of carrying my ps5 and/or PC tower and monitor back and forth. I have a 2019 or 2020 iPad Pro that I bring everywhere that I can use to stream games via steamLink or Moonlight with my extra ps5 controller.

Without having to consider purchasing a gaming laptop or portable handheld like steam deck, is there some sort of great quality, but small monitor that I can stream from and plug a ps5 controller into? I’ve thought about a Smart Tv with the moonlight or steamLink apps, but I’d be okay going even smaller for just gaming. Like my iPad size but better quality. Is this doable?

OR should I just pony up and get the Lenovo legion go? That way I can use also run FM-Edit on it for when I practice guitar.

Not sure I understand your question. You are unable to carry a PS5 but want to get a smart tv?
Hmm I’ll try to explain. With just a smart tv you would be able to download specific apps that would let you stream from your pc and ps5. As opposed to bringing The ps5 and monitor or tv. But it seems like the Lenovo Legion Go is the best option here

Can't help on the monitor choice/options, just chiming in as a fellow gamer, both vintage and some of the newer stuff (PC gaming that is, I stopped buying consoles ages ago).

I like building my own PC's from the ground up specifically for gaming and music recording...but the funny this is, I spend a lot on them so they can run current games with most eye candy on yet I've noticed I still end up playing vintage games way more often then the demanding modern stuff lol, all that power and most days in my down time I'm playing Commando, Donkey Kong Jr, Zaxxon, Metal Slug, etc. 🤔

Once I retired from playing churches which I started around '94 and just finished about a year ago, I recently got into sim racing. I'm not good for the record. I work from home, and I needed something to do on my lunch breaks and weekends. I was also doing flight simming as well, but once you learn to take off and land the middle part gets boring.

I had never been a gamer. Spent most of my life since 12 learning and playing guitar. I'm 57 and was feeling I'm missing out on other things. Playing guitar used to be my part time job, so for me it became a business. I have no regrets getting off that bus. Its fun watching my adult kids and grandkids playing on it. It sits in the corner in my office. I was going to make my rig out of wood, but my wife freaked out...:) She was like how much are the real ones... lol.

VR is the game changer here. Most of the games I have are VR compatible. Your in that car.

IMG_5468.jpg

Once I retired from playing churches which I started around '94 and just finished about a year ago, I recently got into sim racing. I'm not good for the record. I work from home, and I needed something to do on my lunch breaks and weekends. I was also doing flight simming as well, but once you learn to take off and land the middle part gets boring.

I had never been a gamer. Spent most of my life since 12 learning and playing guitar. I'm 57 and was feeling I'm missing out on other things. Playing guitar used to be my part time job, so for me it became a business. I have no regrets getting off that bus. Its fun watching my adult kids and grandkids playing on it. It sits in the corner in my office. I was going to make my rig out of wood, but my wife freaked out...:) She was like how much are the real ones... lol.

VR is the game changer here. Most of the games I have are VR compatible. Your in that car.

View attachment 127407

As a gamer, i admire your set up. As a home automation installer, your cable management makes my butt pucker! ;)

You could purchase a used laptop and then run Moonlight from that. Used ThinkPads are super cheap and I love those machines. The problem with buying a just a monitor is then you need to plug it into something. I've been using an Orange Pi 5B to run Moonlight on the living room TV but if I were out and about I would just use a laptop. Less hassle that way. Is the iPad really that bad?

You could purchase a used laptop and then run Moonlight from that. Used ThinkPads are super cheap and I love those machines. The problem with buying a just a monitor is then you need to plug it into something. I've been using an Orange Pi 5B to run Moonlight on the living room TV but if I were out and about I would just use a laptop. Less hassle that way. Is the iPad really that bad?
The iPad isn’t that bad but it’s still a bit janky. The big advantage with something like the Lenovo legion go is that it can run windows in full, so I could use fractal edit on the fly if I needed!

FWIW, i have a Lenovo Legion 5 that i bought in May to replace a dead MSI Stealth and it is a fantastic laptop. I got it on sale for $1500 CAD with Ryzen 7 6800 and RTX 3070ti. It has connection ports out the wazoo and runs like a champ.

I'm in the "gamer" category but I think probably a different flavor (think PVMs, FPGA, candy cabs, etc)... so I don't think I'll be much help. That said, my current work-issued laptop is a lenovo legion that I'll probably game on once we upgrade... I'm pretty happy with it for dev work.

I'm gamer sense year 2002. Love FPS games and sense I started my PC always have been gaming PC, even I also play guitar and have some musical stuff.

For gaming I use just computers own sound card and for music Presonus Studio1810.

Even I´m old fart I still be fine in games and earlier I played also as member of several gamin-clans, and my team were leading team in Clanbase both ladders, and I was member of country team and played national competitions, also had chance to play multinational teams (not in professional way, professional gaming came later).

I have played so much FPS games that I don't remember them all and because I started to play guitar in late old ages I feel myself as newbie guitarist ;D (poor excuse)

Gaming PC for me suits well also for music cause there is enough power.

Now days there is good laptops for gaming and music making. I have had laptops just for working purpose.

Just for fun here's a few pix of my vintage video gaming setup.

Workstation-Trixie.jpg

Gaming-Setup.jpg

SFIII.jpg

Mat-Mania-Close-Up.jpg

Back
Top Bottom